• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

So something occurred to me the other day, Trump is a convicted felon but is still allowed to run for president apparently, much to the glee of many, but the disconnect is impressive.

You are going to vote for a man that can't vote for himself. Felons can't vote.

So something occurred to me the other day, Trump is a convicted felon but is still allowed to run for president apparently, much to the glee of many, but the disconnect is impressive.

Nah he can vote in Florida still. But yeah, otherwise, quite a disconnect.

Rule of law and so forth…

They're voting for a man who doesn't seem to be capable of complete and coherent thoughts...there is no line when you are in a cult.

Let's not forget how most cults end.

Having recently been dealing with a family member who had a psychotic break and was diagnosed with bi polar, a lot of those conspiracy nutters are probably in the same boat but undiagnosed or diagnosed and not managing it. Was wild watching someone I knew well as intelligent and well thought out go from that to hospitalized and convinced that they were only in the hospital because they found out that she was a deeply important religious figure and they needed to keep her message from getting out. Listening to her just reminds me so much of the conspiracy nutters I've heard over the years.

Having recently been dealing with a family member who had a psychotic break and was diagnosed with bi polar, a lot of those conspiracy nutters are probably in the same boat but undiagnosed or diagnosed and not managing it. Was wild watching someone I knew well as intelligent and well thought out go from that to hospitalized and convinced that they were only in the hospital because they found out that she was a deeply important religious figure and they needed to keep her message from getting out. Listening to her just reminds me so much of the conspiracy nutters I've heard over the years.

When such a significant portion of the population is still devoutly religious, the fact that religious fervour and mental illness are often indistinguishable is something a lot of people don’t want to spend too much time dwelling on.

When such a significant portion of the population is still devoutly religious, the fact that religious fervour and mental illness are often indistinguishable is something a lot of people don’t want to spend too much time dwelling on.

Yeah, was talking with my mum about that the other day. How much religious mythology is based on believing people claiming to have visions and shit that are clearly fairly normal psychotic breaks?

Yeah, was talking with my mum about that the other day. How much religious mythology is based on believing people claiming to have visions and shit that are clearly fairly normal psychotic breaks?

Yeah, it’s long been my opinion that every religious prophet in history, whether it be ancient ones like Jesus or Muhammad, or more recent ones like Joseph Smith & L.Ron Hubbard, is:

A) A highly-talented con-artist & grifter
B) Suffering some kind of psychosis
OR
C) Some combination of A & B

In addition to mental illness, something else that’s probably played a greater role in history than people realize, when it comes to religious prophets and/or history’s greatest monsters, is undiagnosed & untreated traumatic brain injuries.

Back