• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: High speed internet comparisons

I had UVerse for years, and it was terrible. Took them several months to fix all the issues causing us to have abnormally slow connections
They blamed it on "inside the house" issues until they couldn't any longer. It was always their equipment, their lines, etc. I was getting about 1/10 the speeds I was paying for. Once they're repaired the lines and other equipment, they had to open up the "throttle" to the highest speeds they offer to get us to our goal. I moved 7 years ago and have been on Spectrum ever since, with zero issues. This, coming from someone. Google is offered where I live, buy it's about twoce the cost of Spectrum.

Now that there's actual competition in the high speed internet market, there's really no reason to stay where you aren't happy. If they can't get their mess together, dump 'em.

So, we moved into our new place back in early October. The AT&T gigabit was terrible here and when someone from Google Fiber knocked on my door, I jumped ship. The service has been great, but someone from Spectrum just knocked on my door and offered Spectrum gigabit for only $39/month for two years. After that, it goes up only $10/month. That's $30 cheaper than Google. Hmmm. I'm still jobless so this is mighty tempting.

If I jump over to Spectrum, would Google come and take my super nice Pro6 mesh network units?

I am still w/o ATT internet today, and it has become a monthly, if not bi-monthly occurrence. Usually not out this long, but a royal pain .
Would appreciate feedback on Spectrum (left them years ago for satellite) and T Mobile. It seems that Google fiber isn't available in my neighborhood yet. Or are there options I am missing?
I am in SW Durham.
Thanks!
( and I will be muchly pissed if it's not on in time for the game.....)
I feel your pain on At&T…they were crap for me for years and with working from home it was frustrating at times. My neighborhood just got Google Fiber and the first day I could drop AT&T I did like a bad habit. Google Fiber has been heaven sent in the short two months I have had them. My inlaws have had great luck with Spectrum internet with very few problems or outages overall.

When I dumped Spectrum for TV, I kept them for internet, because their service has been great. I work from home and am in virtual meetings for hours most days and I rarely have issues. We also have about a dozen internet-connected devices and everything works great.

I only ditched Spectrum for internet because AT&T's fibre service in my area was a little bit cheaper and MUCH faster. In the meantime, Spectrum has upped their game on speed but not to the point where I feel like going back and playing silly pricing games with them again. Plus, these things always vary by area ... example: Google fibre finally got installed here and my neighbors who shifted their service all switched back immediately because the dipsticks doing the installation obviously did a crappy job and the download speeds are all over the place. They'll get it sorted out, but who wants to deal with the constant customer service calls in the meantime? Other neighborhoods have had wonderful experiences with Google fibre ... so ... yeah.

My best advice ... talk to a few of your neighbors. Specifically the ones who work from home.

Back