• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: NFL Thread

Name the 15 Quarterbacks who are better than him.

Dak is around the 7-10 range, depending on your preference.

It's always fun to say he's not a top-15 QB, until you actually have to make a list and name 'em.

QBs who are definitely better than Dak, without argument, in this order:

Mahomes
Burrow
Lawrence
Herbert

QBs who are most likely better than Dak, but...

Allen
Jackson

QBs who have an argument, but I'd probably have Dak above 'em all:

Hurts
Goff
Watson
Cousins
Tua
Murray

I don't think there's a single QB you could even make an argument is better than Dak. Ryan Tannehil? Daniel Jones? Matthew Stafford? Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Justin Fields, Derek Carr? Please.

At 49M, I would take almost anybody else over Dak. Man that was such a lackluster performance.
He’s so damn inconsistent and never really seem to elevate his game in key moments.

He was like what in the top 20 in most categories (except INTs) this season?

At 49M, I would take almost anybody else over Dak. Man that was such a lackluster performance.
He’s so damn inconsistent and never really seem to elevate his game in key moments.

Salary's irrelevant, despite the amount of bitching people will have about it. If you want a franchise QB, it's going to cost $45M+ and there's only about a dozen real ones. He's a franchise QB, despite the flaws. The salary only becomes an issue if the guy becomes Carsen Wentz or Jared Goff pre-2022 season and doesn't look like he can actually play.

The Cowboys' offense was in the top-5 in the league while he was playing. This is the first season of his career where he was consistently throwing interceptions game over game.

Again, name me 15 quarterbacks who are better than Dak. Their salaries are irrelevant, especially if they're on rookie deals.

In 2023:

Deshaun Watson @ $55M?
Ryan Tannehill @ $36.6M?
Kirk Cousins @ $36.3M?
Derek Carr @ $34.875M? Assuming he doesn't get cut?

Dak's caphit this season $19.73M, a trick every team uses to lower the caphit in the short-term with a bigger caphit in the longterm ($49M in 2023). They did the same with Kyler Murray, Deshaun Watson in 2022, etc.

As it stands, Dak has the eight highest average in terms of total money over the amount of years. A full year from now, when Lamar, Burrows and Herbert get paid, he'll be 11th. A year after that, when Lawrence (and who knows if the Bears are stupid enough to pay Fields), Dak'll be 12th/13th in the most expensive contracts.

He’s a franchise QB, just an average one. At 50M he needs to be a lot better than that, not in the middle lot with the Cousins and Goff of the league.

I think Dak is the 7th best QB in the league, but he has his limitations and he's inconsistent. Tons of people are just going to close their eyes and act like Dak didn't lead an offense that put up 40 on Philly not too long ago when the division wasn't decided. When Dak's on, he's among the very best. When he's not, well... See Sunday.

He needs a good O-Line and needs, at the very least, a decent running game.

The Cowboys did two major mistakes in player movement recently & Dak's contract isn't one of them.

1- The Zeke deal is beyond atrocious. Second contracts for running backs are insane, and they're apparently looking to re-sign Pollard. Sigh.
2- Letting Amari Cooper go so that they could re-sign Michael Gallup coming off a blow knee.

I don’t hate Dak, especially in the regular season, but I’m not seeing much in the post season. A couple of years ago I would have put Rodgers, Brady and Wilson above him but they all dropped badly this year.

Too early to rate Purdy but he’s been solid so far. Similarly, Geno was really really good this year but I want to see what he does next year.

Salary does matter, tho.

If you’re shelling out 50M, that QB better be elite enough to overcome shortcomings elsewhere on the roster where allocated dollars are scarce. Dak clearly doesn’t do that.

In fact, most recent Super Bowls have been won by QBs on a team friendly rookie contract + money generously lavished throughout the roster.

Last yr was an exception and perhaps Mahomes will win this year. He certainly is elite enough.

The other 3 teams left in the hunt are all led by QBs on their rookie deals.

I don’t hate Dak, especially in the regular season, but I’m not seeing much in the post season. A couple of years ago I would have put Rodgers, Brady and Wilson above him but they all dropped badly this year.

Too early to rate Purdy but he’s been solid so far. Similarly, Geno was really really good this year but I want to see what he does next year.
It's quite literally the only playoff game where he was downright bad in his whole career.

Every other game he's lost in the playoffs, his defense failed him. If you want to say last season's game against San Francisco wasn't great, fine. Every other game, though, Dak wasn't the reason the lost. His defense failed him.

Last edited:

Dak is at 40 Allen makes more than he does.

Salary does matter, tho.

If you’re shelling out 50M, that QB better be elite enough to overcome shortcomings elsewhere on the roster where allocated dollars are scarce. Dak clearly doesn’t do that.

In fact, most recent Super Bowls have been won by QBs on a team friendly rookie contract + money generously lavished throughout the roster.

Last yr was an exception and perhaps Mahomes will win this year. He certainly is elite enough.

By that definition, there's only 4 QBs in the whole league that fit the criteria.

Yeah, I'd love to have one of Mahomes/Burrow/Herbert/Lawrence as my QB, but those are the only four in the whole league I would take over Dak without even thinking twice.

Dak can overcome some. He just can't overcome as much as Mahomes can.

I'm curious to see how Burrows looks when he'll be making $50M and won't have two excellent receivers & more holes on defense. Cincinnati didn't look like world beaters against Baltimore a week ago.

Also, I have no idea if Jalen Hurts or Brock Purdy are any good. I really don't.

They're on the best two teams from A to Z in the league and those teams are going to stay good for a few more years because they don't have to spend on QB. San Francisco's shown they can reach a Superbowl with an actual shitty quarterback.

The problem when comparing quarterbacks is all the variables involved.

Mahomes has an all-time great coach, maybe the best TE in NFL history, has always had a good assembly of receivers prior to this season, and has generally had a good offensive line. Would Mahomes have had the same level of success had he been drafted in, say, Houston? And instead of going to Houston, Deshaun Watson requested massages without mentioning the happy endings was drafted in Kansas City? Are we talking about Deshaun being the best QB in the league & Mahomes being traded to another team before getting his second contract?

What if either of those two were drafted in that rat-infested, shithole franchise in Chicago instead of Trubisky?

Salary does matter, tho.

That’s the the Eagles need to win it this year, they will only regress once they have to pay Hurts $50 million . . . but he’s still better than Dak.

Also, I have no idea if Jalen Hurts or Brock Purdy are any good. I really don't.

They're on the best two teams from A to Z in the league and those teams are going to stay good for a few more years because they don't have to spend on QB. San Francisco's shown they can reach a Superbowl with an actual shitty quarterback.
You should watch Hurts play some more if that’s the case because he’s actually very good, with his arm and legs, and doesn’t give the ball away to the opposing team on a regular basis.

You should watch Hurts play some more if that’s the case because he’s actually very good, with his arm and legs, and doesn’t give the ball away to the opposing team on a regular basis.
He also benefits from one of the best offensive lines in football and a pretty good wide receiver core because of his rookie contract.

Fun stat: Philly rushed for something like 280 yards against the Giants. 150 of those yards came before first contact.

Throwing's a lot easier if the other team has to stack the box out because they're scared of the run game and there's more open space for WRs.

All things being equal, though? No idea if Hurts is a good QB or not. If he continues playing like this when he's got a $45M+ caphit instead of a $4.7M, then I'll conceded: He's elite. Until then, I'll keep a heavy dose of skepticism that a guy who had problems making reads in college suddenly fixed that at the NFL level.

By that definition, there's only 4 QBs in the whole league that fit the criteria.

Yeah, I'd love to have one of Mahomes/Burrow/Herbert/Lawrence as my QB, but those are the only four in the whole league I would take over Dak without even thinking twice.

Dak can overcome some. He just can't overcome as much as Mahomes can.

I'm curious to see how Burrows looks when he'll be making $50M and won't have two excellent receivers & more holes on defense. Cincinnati didn't look like world beaters against Baltimore a week ago.
And yes, I have a big issue with 50M QBs in general. I don’t think any QBs should be making that much but if they do, then they need to be truly elite. It just creates so many holes on the team and hasn’t been a recipe for success so far.

Back