• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Soccer thread

In soccer you cannot use your hand.....yet it's offside if you are a hand ahead of the defenders.

To me, this could be the dumbest rule in all of sports.

It's "if you are ahead of the defender"

Toe or pinky doesn't matter
The Portugal goal to me should have counted. It's a perfectly fine goal.

Rule should be adjusted to only count feet and head and not the arm. Once they make the change no soccer fan would complain and just accept the change.

This sport is not a high scoring sport. Why take a fine goal away because of an outstretched arm that doesn't even come to play at all?

Ps not a Portugal fan. Just hate this particular part of the offside rule.

The Portugal goal to me should have counted. It's a perfectly fine goal.

Rule should be adjusted to only count feet and head and not the arm. Once they make the change no soccer fan would complain and just accept the change.

This sport is not a high scoring sport. Why take a fine goal away because of an outstretched arm that doesn't even come to play at all?

Ps not a Portugal fan. Just hate this particular part of the offside rule.
Just use proper cameras and signal down all offside. Quick, clean way to do things

Not the hand of even stretched arms. What was offside was the shoulder/arm pit area, which I believe is the borderline of what is considered. Even then it was basically a 50-50 call. Right on the edge.
Yeah shoulder you can score with so I think it's perfectly fine to call offside.

Hands is dumb and as others have mentored seems like is not considered as part of the offside rules. So I stand corrected.

Ok then I stand corrected. Not sure why none of my soccer crazed friends have ever corrected me on this. I've been screaming about this every international tourney:D
Even diehard soccer fans don't know the rule tbh. I actually just had to explain this to some folks on Saturday and they probably follow the sport more than me these days. And really I only know because I played.

Back