• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Soccer thread

What I rather like is that Canada absolutely dictated terms out there… the pace and flow of the game. Canada imposed its game on Mexico. Granted, that was made easier by Mexico starting with a cautious 5–3-2 to remove channels to run at them. Still, when was the last time that happened?

Also, good execution. None of the goals were on fast counters, we took what they gave us in terms of space and seized the opportunities. Johnston on the first goal, Eustáquio on the second and obviously Larin on both. Great read of the game and execution. That was critical and somewhat absent against Costa Rica.

Is the rematch going to be played in an active volcano?

oh, if I was the Mexican federation after this Iceteca shit show, I'd be planning the next Canadian trip down to Mexico at somewhere with ridiculous cartel violence like Guanajuato, Culiacan, Veracruz, TJ, etc and the hotels in the nicer parts of town would amazingly all be booked solid at the time.

oh, if I was the Mexican federation after this Iceteca shit show, I'd be planning the next Canadian trip down to Mexico at somewhere with ridiculous cartel violence like Guanajuato, Culiacan, Veracruz, TJ, etc and the hotels in the nicer parts of town would amazingly all be booked solid at the time.
The fact is that while Soccer Canada didn't have the power to cause it to snow on Monday and Tuesday they were not unhappy about the way it turned out and choosing Edmonton was strategic. I'm told by people who follow the sport closely that Mexico, when they host an important game against a team unaccustomed to heat and humidity, will schedule these matches at a time of day when the sun is at its absolute hottest and most inhospitable. So what Canada did was just the sort of thing that the Mexicans routinely do to their opponents.

Mexico will likely qualify, but they are gonna have to work for it. Canada, the US and, yes, Panama, are all bigger, faster and stronger. They are in a CONCACAF cage fight for the first time ever.

Hey ... there's a reason most Central American venues are located in freaking mountain villages and/or played on pitches more suited to goat grazing. It's CONCACAF, man. If you have a logistical advantage, you use that logistical advantage. Playing nice is for suckers.

Last edited:
Agreed. You use every advantage you have.

One issue with this though is that your team gets through to the big competitions and has to play better teams on perfectly maintained pitches.

When you are Canada, you throw everything at them. Goal right now is to make it to the World Cup, not win it.

For an established program like Mexico, wouldn't they want to maximize their chance of winning a WC? And if so, doesn't that mean that you play other teams on environments that are simiar to the ultimate completion?

Cool. What was the previous ranking? Sometimes it more telling which way you are going, rather than where you are.

(An official LCS world view.)

Ole let go by United - We've become a banter club. Who knew one man was holding the entire club together. Just really sad for one of the great clubs in all of sports.

Back