• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

PLAYOFF GDT: Series 3 / Game 2: @ Las Vegas, Wednesday, June 16th, 9:00EST (LV leads 1-0)

D can not smoothly get the puck out of our zone. This is the main issue. Transition has been terrible.
We mainly rely on opponent error, like Byron goal to score
They dick around with the puck too much. I don't know how they got it into their heads that they're superstars who can dangle but between their mediocre skill set and the crappy ice conditions they can't keep the puck on their sticks. When you find yourself 3 feet from the blue line and you have a chance to clear the zone, friggin' clear it, ffs! I'm getting really ticked off watching them get almost right to the blue line and then somehow not manage to get the puck out of their own zone.

Same thing at the other end of the rink. When you have the puck 3 feet inside the Vegas zone, don't pretend that you can stickhandle your way past 3 defenders. Just get it deep. Coughing up the puck just inside the offensive zone is a recipe for a stretch pass and breakaway for your opponent.

Oh, and if Gustafsson could try not to keep making passes to no one that would be great.

They dick around with the puck too much. I don't know how they got it into their heads that they're superstars who can dangle but between their mediocre skill set and the crappy ice conditions they can't keep the puck on their sticks. When you find yourself 3 feet from the blue line and you have a chance to clear the zone, friggin' clear it, ffs! I'm getting really ticked off watching them get almost right to the blue line and then somehow not manage to get the puck out of their own zone.

Same thing at the other end of the rink. When you have the puck 3 feet inside the Vegas zone, don't pretend that you can stickhandle your way past 3 defenders. Just get it deep. Coughing up the puck just inside the offensive zone is a recipe for a stretch pass and breakaway for your opponent.

Oh, and if Gustafsson could try not to keep making passes to no one that would be great.
Yes, the inability to clear the defensive zone when in possession of the puck just inside the line has been an issue I noticed all year, maybe longer. But in the last two rounds we were making nice short passes to clear the zone better. Last night,leading to the Byron goal, I noticed how those nice short passes allowed us to clear the zone. When we start losing composure, we revert to those turnovers inside the line.

Last edited:
Perry was remarkable last night. How many times did he make something from nothing. Weber and Perry were on top of their current games.
Perry has been so good. What a pickup... and he didn't sign until the end of December.

I was sitting there last night thinking, how crazy is it that we have Corey Perry and Eric Staal helping lead the playoff run.

I know they're not the same players as they used to be, but still...

Eddy has been a great signing, i am really impressed by him, it came quiet cheap as well considering his age/experience.

The key in all that is PETRY, when he is not there, you are forcing guys like Chairot, or even Weber to play more than 25 and that is how you expose them, because one is not a top pairing D and another one not anymore.
When Petry is there, everyone is sitting in the right chair.

Last edited:
The game plan should be::
1) Neutralize 7.
2) Avoid giving up stupid icing
3) Win crucial face offs
4) Faster and more smooth D to F transition.
5) Apply constant pressure on their big 3 D(7, Martinez, McNabb), to commit mistakes.
6) 4th line edge again.

Perry has been so good. What a pickup... and he didn't sign until the end of December.

I was sitting there last night thinking, how crazy is it that we have Corey Perry and Eric Staal helping lead the playoff run.

I know they're not the same players as they used to be, but still...
I don't get how no team took a risk to sign a guy who was still very good in the last year Stars run.

Eddy has been a great signing, i am really impressed by him, it came quiet cheap as well considering his age/experience.

The key in all that is PETRY, when he is not there, you are forcing guys like Chairot, or even Weber to play more than 25 and that is how you expose them, because one is not a top pairing D and another one not anymore.
When Petry is there, everyone is sitting in the right chair.
But but but...what about what the analytics say? That’s all that matters right? Dom Luszczyszyn’s self advertised brilliant yet ALWAYS inaccurate models?

I had no idea Martinez was that good, or as much an offensive force. Big 3 is right. We need to focus on that aspect of their game, somehow, without forgetting Stone,Tuch,Max Even Carrier, Kolesar have been good, if not big scoring threats. We seem to have Marchesnault's line under control for now.

I'm sure Dom is incorporating all that in his game plan. Easier said than done of course. I'm amazed when I look at our blueline, and see who he has to depend on to partially carry it out. Those four (six) are truly giving the most they can.

I still can't figure out why Habs can't exit the D zone with the puck still in possession. In general other teams can do this much more frequently.

Back