• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Reimer vs. Bernier

Any other goalie??? Doesn't Reimer have 4 NHL games under his belt?

You wouldn't trade him for Price? Or like 20 other NHL goalies?

Why trade him for anyone right now? It's not like we gave him a tryout as he was walking by the ACC one day and thought he was good enough to give some games to.

He's excelled at every level, including the NHL so far. He looks flat out awesome. He certainly won't be able to keep up these lofty numbers, but he might just post top level stats over his career. Maybe better than the other guys.

At this point it wouldn't be a stretch to say he has a chance to be the best goalie we've had since Belfours game went south. Heck I think I could play better than most of the goalies we've had in here since then. We'll see though, he's new and probably still playing on a lot of adrenaline plus he will also get the 'free pass' for any mistakes he makes early on. Leaf fans love to give a guy just so many chances before they decide one way or another. At any rate it's good to see and hopefully he can keep it up.

Why trade him for anyone right now? It's not like we gave him a tryout as he was walking by the ACC one day and thought he was good enough to give some games to.

He's excelled at every level, including the NHL so far. He looks flat out awesome. He certainly won't be able to keep up these lofty numbers, but he might just post top level stats over his career. Maybe better than the other guys.

Well this is all hypothetical anyways, but.... why trade him right now? Because he is playing good hockey but the chance of him actually being the elite goalie he's been over the past 4 NHL games is extremely slim. I'm not saying that he isn't going to be an NHL caliber starter... or even a top half of the league starter... hell, he may actually end up being the best goalie in the league.

I just don't see the logic behind saying that you wouldn't trade a guy that was 3rd (at best) on your depth chart up until a couple games ago for any goalie in the league. That's like the Rangers not being willing to trade Derek Stepan for Crosby after he had a hattrick in his first NHL game. "He's excelled at every level and now he has scored a hattrick in every NHL game he's played in."

You honestly wouldn't trade Reimer for Price right now?

Habspatrol, at some point you got this Price vs Reimer thing stuck in your head, I'm really not sure why. We also aren't counting on him keeping up the .947. You see, our other goalies can't even give us .900.

All we're saying is he probably deserved more respect for his track record than he's been given to this point.

Fans of other teams for some reason feel they have to step in and control our expectations or tell us what we should expect from a certain player. Just because when our expectations fall short they are repeatedly brought up and beaten like a dead horse. What about the players that we're right about? You never hear anything about them. Heck sometimes players exceed our expectations imagine that. I don't think anyone is ready to put Reims name on the vezina just yet but forgive us please for being a little excited about a guy who can come in on one of the leagues worst teams and post a .940 sv% in his first three games.

All I know is that getting .910+ goaltending instead of .890 goaltending would help a lot. So far, so good.

It's probably fair to point out that the leafs have also scored 16 goals in the three games he's played so far. That makes it a hell of a lot easier for a goalie when he's got the goal support.

Well this is all hypothetical anyways, but.... why trade him right now? Because he is playing good hockey but the chance of him actually being the elite goalie he's been over the past 4 NHL games is extremely slim. I'm not saying that he isn't going to be an NHL caliber starter... or even a top half of the league starter... hell, he may actually end up being the best goalie in the league.

I just don't see the logic behind saying that you wouldn't trade a guy that was 3rd (at best) on your depth chart up until a couple games ago for any goalie in the league. That's like the Rangers not being willing to trade Derek Stepan for Crosby after he had a hattrick in his first NHL game. "He's excelled at every level and now he has scored a hattrick in every NHL game he's played in."

You honestly wouldn't trade Reimer for Price right now?

That's just dumb, even taking it in the context that this thread has led up to a statement like that.

Obviously we make that move, but it NEVER EVER gets offered.

So stop trying to keep bringing it up. It's Reimer vs. Bernier as the thread was started before a little bit ridiculous of a comment was made.

Contextually I think he meant that it makes no sense for us to trade Reimer unless we get another good goalie who is also young and can grow with the team, a la Rask. I'm sure everyone here would jump all over Luongo, Lundqvist, Miller, etc. Price would also fit that bill, but it's ridiculous to consider a trade like that.

Habspatrol, at some point you got this Price vs Reimer thing stuck in your head, I'm really not sure why. We also aren't counting on him keeping up the .947. You see, our other goalies can't even give us .900.

All we're saying is he probably deserved more respect for his track record than he's been given to this point.

No no no no... you are completely misreading me. I never once even commented on Reimer at all. I know little to nothing about him and I assume that 99% of you are putting his play into proper perspective and are cautiously optimistic.

I assume that LOF is in the extreme minority when he says that he wouldn't trade Reimer for any goalie in the league besides MAYBE Rask.

I assume that LOF is in the extreme minority when he says that he wouldn't trade Reimer for any goalie in the league besides MAYBE Rask.
Yea, normally I would bypass this statement if it was made by like HL or zeke or something.. but considering LOF's track record, I really believe he is serious when he says that. I also believe that he is serious in thinking that there is a possibility Reimer will keep up this level of play.

That's just dumb, even taking it in the context that this thread has led up to a statement like that.

Obviously we make that move, but it NEVER EVER gets offered.

So stop trying to keep bringing it up. It's Reimer vs. Bernier as the thread was started before a little bit ridiculous of a comment was made.

Contextually I think he meant that it makes no sense for us to trade Reimer unless we get another good goalie who is also young and can grow with the team, a la Rask. I'm sure everyone here would jump all over Luongo, Lundqvist, Miller, etc. Price would also fit that bill, but it's ridiculous to consider a trade like that.

That was the point. He literally said "No goalie besides Rask." I was only replying to LOF's comments. I was also only doing so with such a ridiculous premise because his statement was so ridiculous.

My original question was fair and pertinent to the thread. "would you trade Reimer for Bernier today?" I didn't even say whether or not I thought it would be a good trade... just curious what Leaf fans would think.
It was after that that LOF replied with "I wouldn't trade him for any goalie in the league besides maybe Rask."

That said, I can see why someone might say they wouldn't trade Reimer period right now. His potential is probably higher than his trade value right now.

For sure... you can't trade him for what his market value is right now. However, if you got a crazy good offer for an established yet young top flight NHL goalie it would be too good to pass up.

So back to my original question. Would you trade Reimer for Bernier right now?

I gotta think that most of the league would choose Bernier. That doesn't make it the right deal mind you.

Or how about this. Would you trade him for any of these "good young goalies?" If so, which ones? I'll leave out the ones that I think are too far fetched.

Bobrovsky
Pavalec
Bernier
Quick
Neuvirth
Varlamov
Lindback
Schneider
Lehner

It's probably fair to point out that the leafs have also scored 16 goals in the three games he's played so far. That makes it a hell of a lot easier for a goalie when he's got the goal support.

i guess you could argue that there's less pressure. but he still made stops in those games when the game was close. and in the loss against the b's he still stopped 31 of 33.

i mean, that atlanta game was very similar to the blues game -- the leafs didn't really generate any more chances than the opposition, they just made their chances count. against the blues gustavsson got all the goal support a goalie could ask for and still, the blues got back into it and if not for an utterly ridiculous shootout goal might well have won the game.

reimer has been very good. he won't maintain a .947 sv%, but he has demonstrated that he can provide competent goaltending, at least in short spurts. now obviously there are question marks because he is young and relatively inexperienced. perhaps he has a yet-to-be-exploited hole in his game. maybe he won't be able to handle the workload of a starter. but early returns are promising. and what we have seen from him, despite all that goal support which he got in two of his three starts, is a hell of a lot better than anything we've seen from gustavsson or giguere this year.

For sure... you can't trade him for what his market value is right now. However, if you got a crazy good offer for an established yet young top flight NHL goalie it would be too good to pass up.

So back to my original question. Would you trade Reimer for Bernier right now?

I gotta think that most of the league would choose Bernier. That doesn't make it the right deal mind you.

Or how about this. Would you trade him for any of these "good young goalies?" If so, which ones? I'll leave out the ones that I think are too far fetched.

Bobrovsky
Pavalec
Bernier
Quick
Neuvirth
Varlamov
Lindback
Schneider
Lehner

Doubtful, considering he's 22 and looking very composed in goal.

But I think you have to listen to and consider Quick and Bernier. But it doesn't make much sense for the teams to swap such comparable players when both have yet to succeed/struggle at the NHL level while being so successful elsewhere.

Back