• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Rumors: 2024-25 Season

Here's the thing with Arthur Kaliyev...

If you ever wanted a great example of a player with tools but no toolbox, it would be him.

In his draft eligible year, he scored 50 goals and had over 100 points in the OHL. He's got prototypical NHL size at 6'2" 205lbs. Amazing wrist shot, pretty good play making ability and skates decently well. Sounds pretty awesome, right? Sounds like a player I'd love our 5th overall pick to be, right???

And yet, he wasn't picked until the second round. Because he has no idea how to actually play hockey. If hockey was just standing around, wait until you get the puck and shoot on net or try to pass to a team mate, he'd be awesome. The problem with him in Junior was, you'll watch a game he's in, you won't notice him one bit, and at the end of the game he has two assists. What did he do to generate those assists? Fucked if I know. And that's a problem. He's a ghost out there. He doesn't do anything to impact the game. He's Anthony Duclair, he's Mike Hoffman, but with a different passport. I don't have time for players like that.

If you ever wanted a great example of a player with tools but no toolbox, it would be him.

In his draft eligible year, he scored 50 goals and had over 100 points in the OHL. He's got prototypical NHL size at 6'2" 205lbs. Amazing wrist shot, pretty good play making ability and skates decently well. Sounds pretty awesome, right? Sounds like a player I'd love our 5th overall pick to be, right???

And yet, he wasn't picked until the second round. Because he has no idea how to actually play hockey. If hockey was just standing around, wait until you get the puck and shoot on net or try to pass to a team mate, he'd be awesome. The problem with him in Junior was, you'll watch a game he's in, you won't notice him one bit, and at the end of the game he has two assists. What did he do to generate those assists? Fucked if I know. And that's a problem. He's a ghost out there. He doesn't do anything to impact the game. He's Anthony Duclair, he's Mike Hoffman, but with a different passport. I don't have time for players like that.
Duclair for a third rounder has nearly 600 games under his belt and has been decent with numerous teams

Duclair eventually figured it out... to an extent.

And players like that will get a ton of chances. New setting, new team mates, new circumstances, maybe he'll figure it out here!

I get all that but . . . Cole Caufield didn’t even try passing the puck, let alone complete a pass, before Marty coached him. Just saying.

Back