• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Tech Thread

It is untrue though, for the reason pwn states.

There's one real concern here, human directed malicious actions with a model. But even that's limited to state or near state actors. The hardware necessary to run even a non frontier model capable of this stuff is in the 10's-100's of millions of dollars.

The model deciding to copy itself so that it's beyond the ability of the developer to flip a switch and shut it off is pure sci fi.

Wasn’t talking about the ability to copy itself. More about what happened with Hugging Face happening with something more dangerous.
 
Oh, the earth will be fine.

It will be uninhabitable for long enough to cause human extinction, but the planet will be fine.


You can even say that life on earth will be just fine too. It’s already survived several extinction-level events.

Of course, human life and a great many current life forms will be fucked. But life on this planet will keep rolling merrily along in some form or another long after humans are gone.
 


This is positive overall, but I'd still rather see them just pushing back on the tech companies to insist their products are safe instead of going towards a world where they now have the legal justification in place to force all of us to identify ourselves online to "protect the children". Can we just start regulating companies so that their externalities are their problems? They'll find an efficient way to fix them better and faster than our governments will if they're made liable for the harms they commit.
 
This is positive overall, but I'd still rather see them just pushing back on the tech companies to insist their products are safe instead of going towards a world where they now have the legal justification in place to force all of us to identify ourselves online to "protect the children". Can we just start regulating companies so that their externalities are their problems? They'll find an efficient way to fix them better and faster than our governments will if they're made liable for the harms they commit.
I'm pretty sure all social media issues end once you turn 16
 
I'm pretty sure all social media issues end once you turn 16

I'm hoping that this is the first salvo in an organized pushback, and the lowest hanging fruit to regulate that is easy to get public support for.

I'm not confident in that being the case, but I'm hoping.
 
I'm hoping that this is the first salvo in an organized pushback, and the lowest hanging fruit to regulate that is easy to get public support for.

I'm not confident in that being the case, but I'm hoping.
The public seems the biggest negative is the cyber bullying, etc but I don't think they understand the more indirect harm that the algorithm creates and that will only get worse with AI
 
The public seems the biggest negative is the cyber bullying, etc but I don't think they understand the more indirect harm that the algorithm creates and that will only get worse with AI

I don't think that politicians really get it yet either though. We're not sending our most technologically literate people to our parliaments, congresses, etc.
 
Back
Top