• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Motherfucking 2021 Season Thread

But that's not quite the analogy.

You can afford to have a nice lunch, but you don't get comped - you skip out on the bill.

Why would you risk the embarrassment and legal consequences if you can just put down the $20?

Why be willing to destroy your credit score if you can pony up for extravagant travel with a couple of Bezos grains of rice.

what embarrassment will come from accepting a welcome offer -- I only repeated one card out of 20

These companies were happy to land my business; the bonus they hand me is their "customer acquisition cost"

they are playing a game too -- they are counting on me not paying my balance and then charging me predatory interest rates (prime + 19%)

they are winning the game, bigly, but they don't go undefeated

as for credit score, I check it every 2 weeks (out of habit) and the trend is up....I'd buy shares in it if I could

Not sure what I've seen...but I got into my credit card browsing because of BenHoglund14. Thanks Ben!

and most of the time spent doing it, was while watching the Habs try to score an unexpected goal....so #zerowaste

side effect: you do get excited about the smell of new plastic in the morning mail
iu

Sorry for my part in derailing this thread -- just hoping Habsy's VP of ADVERTISING launches the algo that will have all of us awash in irresistible credit card offers

But that's not quite the analogy.

You can afford to have a nice lunch, but you don't get comped - you skip out on the bill.

Why would you risk the embarrassment and legal consequences if you can just put down the $20?

Why be willing to destroy your credit score if you can pony up for extravagant travel with a couple of Bezos grains of rice.
Couple things here. As my friend ch1 points out there is nothing illegal about this operation. At all. Another thing... People who spend frivolously are very rarely rich. You get rich and stay rich by spending as little as possible. And if someone is going to allow me to have hundreds of thousands worth of benefits without having to spend a dime? Count me in. You'd have to be on crack to say no to that shit whether you're broke or a multi millionaire.

what embarrassment will come from accepting a welcome offer -- I only repeated one card out of 20

These companies were happy to land my business; the bonus they hand me is their "customer acquisition cost"

they are playing a game too -- they are counting on me not paying my balance and then charging me predatory interest rates (prime + 19%)

as for credit score, I check it every 2 weeks (out of habit) and the trend is up....I'd buy shares in it if I could
It's the consumers chance to put a dent into this predatory operation. We're doing a service to everyone who gets fucked by these guys.

Were you able to condense the pts to 1 reward system or did you have to use them individually.

there's lots of condensing going on...the only ones I can't condense easily is Alaska Air Miles....

and, of course, you can always redeem for straight cash, but that's considered a rookie move because the points garner a greater bang/buck for travel...thought at one point this year, AMEX gave me double the cash/point so that was quite attractive

there's lots of condensing going on...the only ones I can't condense easily is Alaska Air Miles....

and, of course, you can always redeem for straight cash, but that's considered a rookie move because the points garner a greater bang/buck for travel...thought at one point this year, AMEX gave me double the cash/point so that was quite attractive
And worst case I know a guy or two who buy at decent rates.

I'm talking about if your credit score got screwed because of playing a game you don't need to play.

If Thomas Crown gets caught and goes to prison stealing paintings he can easily afford to buy, what's the sense in that?

If Thomas CCrown gets his credit score smashed to pieces because he's conning credit card companies into giving him points, that's not wise either.

Couple things here. As my friend ch1 points out there is nothing illegal about this operation. At all. Another thing... People who spend frivolously are very rarely rich. You get rich and stay rich by spending as little as possible. And if someone is going to allow me to have hundreds of thousands worth of benefits without having to spend a dime? Count me in. You'd have to be on crack to say no to that shit whether you're broke or a multi millionaire.
Well sure, if you're talking several hundred thousand of free benefits, I guess I get the motivation.

But I still wouldn't have risked sacrificing my credit score for superfluous fluff like nonstop travel. I'd take a trip or two here and there to get my fix.

Well sure, if you're talking several hundred thousand of free benefits, I guess I get the motivation.

But I still wouldn't have risked sacrificing my credit score for superfluous fluff like nonstop travel. I'd take a trip or two here and there to get my fix.
Yeah it's not just travel. I've sold the vast majority of the points I earned for cash and it's not an insignificant amount. A measly credit score is worthless by comparison. Which btw, has gone up anyway.

I don't think you're getting it... let me try again

Let's say there were 12 very good gyms in your neighbourhood, and they all offered one free introductory month, so you decided to take them up on their offer , and switched gyms every month for a year....

did you con?
Are you afraid the gym police will knock on your door?

With credit cards, there are 100s of intro offers, and new ones pop up all the time

I don't think you're getting it... let me try again

Let's say there were 12 very good gyms in your neighbourhood, and they all offered one free introductory month, so you decided to take them up on their offer , and switched gyms every month for a year....

did you con?
Are you afraid the gym police will knock on your door?

With credit cards, there are 100s of intro offers, and new ones pop up all the time
We're talking about two different things. I'm not making any kind of moral statement or talking about the law.

This started by Presto saying good credit score was not applicable to him. Presumably, the only person who would say that is someone who is loaded up the wazoo and buys everything in cash and can afford all he needs. If that were Presto's case then, why would he be busy wasting time and effort and risking his credit score to get something he could easily buy with cash? Just like Thomas Crown who steals paintings he can just buy, it's senseless to risk in his case getting caught and going to prison, or in Presto's case having his credit score destroyed just to get some free trips.

Now, Presty has clarified that it was significant benefits and cash that he got from these points, and that even if he were a daddy warbucks, why pass up the chance to get significant goodies for free? Okay, I can understand that. I still wouldn't do something to kill my score, but that's just me. And he says he didn't have that happen, so everything came up milhouse for him.

We're talking about two different things. I'm not making any kind of moral statement or talking about the law.

This started by Presto saying good credit score was not applicable to him. Presumably, the only person who would say that is someone who is loaded up the wazoo and buys everything in cash and can afford all he needs. If that were Presto's case then, why would he be busy wasting time and effort and risking his credit score to get something he could easily buy with cash? Just like Thomas Crown who steals paintings he can just buy, it's senseless to risk in his case getting caught and going to prison, or in Presto's case having his credit score destroyed just to get some free trips.

Now, Presty has clarified that it was significant benefits and cash that he got from these points, and that even if he were a daddy warbucks, why pass up the chance to get significant goodies for free? Okay, I can understand that. I still wouldn't do something to kill my score, but that's just me. And he says he didn't have that happen, so everything came up milhouse for him.
I just want you to know that I bought Kong with a small amount of the funds I earned from this operation.

@LOF your credit score destruction is a bogeyman tho...unless you lack the discipline not to max out all your new cards and just pay minimum balances....that's an entirely different problem.

@LOF your credit score destruction is a bogeyman tho...unless you lack the discipline not to max out all your new cards and just pay minimum balances....that's an entirely different problem.
I expected mine to go from great to average. Which I was okay with. But it happened to go from great to even better. It was never gonna go to complete shit tho unless I was a reckless mess. And if it did I was at peace with that tbh. Credit scores are mostly just a dick measuring contest.

Actually that's not necessarily true, as I believe excessive credit inquiries and excessive outstanding credit do actually bring your score down. But I don't know by how much. I was just tagging on Presty's claim that he was willing to destroy his score.

Actually that's not necessarily true, as I believe excessive credit inquiries and excessive outstanding credit do actually bring your score down. But I don't know by how much. I was just tagging on Presty's claim that he was willing to destroy his score.
No one really knows the formula or the weighting on each factor. If excessive inquiries had serious weighting I'd be in the shitter by now. Turns out it's not so important.

Back