• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The New Division

Would appear more likely that the expansion will happen in the West - perhaps Vegas/Seattle?

Maybe the plan is to move the Panthers to Quebec?
 
Outside of "Metro" those are pretty standard names for sports divisions.

...

It's not about whether they're standard or not. It's about the fact that most of the teams in the "Metro" division are more accurately described by the "Atlantic" division, and that's why they've made up the "Atlantic" division for years.
 
Would appear more likely that the expansion will happen in the West - perhaps Vegas/Seattle?

Maybe the plan is to move the Panthers to Quebec?

I think Portland/Seattle make the most sense because they have / will have arena's capable of hosting NHL games.

Quebec City is possible, but I think a 2nd franchise in Toronto is more likely. They will get a lot more $$$$$$ via a relocation or new franchise fee.
 
Quebec City's metropolitan area is 696,000 and Winnipeg's is 730,000. I don't see why a team could not succeed in Quebec if it could succeed in Winnipeg, especially given Quebec's substantially larger provincial population than Manitoba's, and ability to draw Francophone fans from surrounding areas in Quebec and New Brunswick.
 
I think Portland/Seattle make the most sense because they have / will have arena's capable of hosting NHL games.

Quebec City is possible, but I think a 2nd franchise in Toronto is more likely. They will get a lot more $$$$$$ via a relocation or new franchise fee.

true but would MLSE allow another team in its market?
 
Quebec City's metropolitan area is 696,000 and Winnipeg's is 730,000. I don't see why a team could not succeed in Quebec if it could succeed in Winnipeg, especially given Quebec's substantially larger provincial population than Manitoba's, and ability to draw Francophone fans from surrounding areas in Quebec and New Brunswick.

New Brunswick francophones are Canadiens' fans, not Nordiques.
 
true but would MLSE allow another team in its market?

They will put a fight no doubt.

But I honestly believe that a 2nd team in Toronto would have little affect on the Leafs brand and value. There's just so much money in Toronto. Some of the most valuable and wealthiest franchises in the world have direct competition in their own market.
 
Quebec City's metropolitan area is 696,000 and Winnipeg's is 730,000. I don't see why a team could not succeed in Quebec if it could succeed in Winnipeg, especially given Quebec's substantially larger provincial population than Manitoba's, and ability to draw Francophone fans from surrounding areas in Quebec and New Brunswick.

is winnipeg succeeding?
 
Back
Top