• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Updates and Rumours from around the League

Who is the most current signed D who could be used as a comparable.

I think comparing Weber would be irrelevant seeing it was signed 2 years ago and market value has drastically changed.

The thing is there really haven't been any top end RFA D-men who've signed recently that I can think of as comparable. You have to go back to Weber, Karlsson, and Pietrangelo to find guys at that calibre and still as young. Really have no clue who the 2 sides will bring in to meeting as comparable.

Well, it's official; Bergevin is ****ing nuts.

They still have until the arbitrator releases his ruling (usually within 48 hours of the hearing) to come to a settlement. But hopefully this hearing will be as nasty as possible, and lay the groundwork for PK's departure from Montreal in two years time.

Even if they took the arbitration ruling it would be only for one year. Subban would still be RFA next summer and they would still have the ability to sign him long-term. The 8 year / $58M offer late last night was made on purpose. It shows they want to keep him and it also shows an offer of $7.25M AAV which is not insulting. They have set the mark now between $7.25 and 8.0 mil.

Who is the most current signed D who could be used as a comparable.

I think comparing Weber would be irrelevant seeing it was signed 2 years ago and market value has drastically changed.

Karlsson + inflation, which is probably where the 7.25 number came from.

Going in front of the arbitrator is the negative part of this, not his decision.

They have to tell PK to his face why he stinks and doesn't deserve the kind of money he is asking for. Poke holes in his game. I've heard players that have gone through it talk about it saying it was brutal and the worst thing they've dealt with in their careers.

It makes no sense to take a guy like that to arbitration. This whole thing has been completely mishandled by a team that should have the resources to pay the guy what he is worth. Its all for nothing.

You're assuming that is the tact the Habs brass takes. I don't think they do. I think they acknowledge his talent but compare him to Dioughty/Pietrangelo/etc. They won't blow up the ship.

Who was the player who cried in arbitration? I remember reading about some coach ripping into someone and they ended up in tears

You're assuming that is the tact the Habs brass takes. I don't think they do. I think they acknowledge his talent but compare him to Dioughty/Pietrangelo/etc. They won't blow up the ship.

Now you are assuming that this arbitration will be different from all other arbitrations.

Why even bother arguing before an arbitrator that the guy isn't as good as he thinks he is? There is no point. Especially because he is that good.

There are no comparables in the new system. Suter and Weber are the last big UFA/almost UFA dmen to sign.

The comparables are guys like Kane, Toews, Giroux, Getzlaf, Perry and Kessel. He fairly deserves somewhere between Hart trophy winning Perry's $8.6 million and the dynasty leading Hawks' $10.5 million.

Who was the player who cried in arbitration? I remember reading about some coach ripping into someone and they ended up in tears
That was Tommy Salo.

The GM on the other side of that hearing was, of course, Mike Milbury.

Even if they took the arbitration ruling it would be only for one year. Subban would still be RFA next summer and they would still have the ability to sign him long-term. The 8 year / $58M offer late last night was made on purpose. It shows they want to keep him and it also shows an offer of $7.25M AAV which is not insulting. They have set the mark now between $7.25 and 8.0 mil.
Yeah, PK leaving Montreal is still a long shot, but a rival fan can hope, right?

And while sure, the Habs will still have plenty of time to sign Subban to an extension after this hearing is over and done with, they're putting themselves in an increasingly dangerous situation. Whatever the arbitrator awards Subban, that's the number the Habs will have to qualify him at next year. And if Subban comes to the conclusion that the Habs don't appreciate him, or won't pay him what he thinks he's worth, nothing could stop him from just playing out his one-year arbitration award, accepting that qualifying offer next summer, and then riding out another one-year deal to unrestricted free agency.

I also think you're still being overly optimistic with the figures you're throwing out here. I would be totally shocked if Subban signed a long-term deal for less than $8M per season. That would be a massive "hometown" discount for the Habs.

I am not talking about what the sides will be arguing. Fairly, Weber is the comparable. Same age, same level of caliber, one year deals. Although he was less accomplished.

Thats the right comparable, not 21 year olds signing 8 year deals.

James Mirtle
This Subban situation is why he never should have been forced into a bridge deal two years ago. Would be a steal - and signed - right now.

Have to agree with that. The mismanagement has been going on a while

I am not talking about what the sides will be arguing. Fairly, Weber is the comparable. Same age, same level of caliber, one year deals. Although he was less accomplished.

Thats the right comparable, not 21 year olds signing 8 year deals.

I'm not sure if an arbitration award is as pertinent as what players have actually negotiated for. Or it could be more pertinent. Tough call.

Back