• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-Whenever Misc. Grab Bag Thread

I'm a bit behind on my Financials news....Dundon Capital Partners LLC and their co-bidders in the Hertz bankruptcy auction ended up losing out to a rival set of bidders. They will get a $77 million breakup fee though due to Hertz settling on a different bid.

So no free rental cars for the Canes.
I feel like that might have been a dodged bullet given where that market is right now and is likely to be for the next year ... at least.

Welp, this USA v Mexico game started out rather crappily. Jeez. This is really the only soccer game that I can get excited for and this happens.

There is a whole saga playing out and we're only 28 minutes in. This is why I get up for this match up

Funny how much I love 2 sports that are so different. Hockey players beat The hell out of each other, get stitched up in the locker room and play on. Soccer players get knocked down by a stiff breeze and have to be carted off on a stretcher.

I was going to turn it on after we had watched something off our DVR. I checked the Fotmob app, saw it was 2-0 and decided not to bother. So I didn’t realize the 2nd goal had been chalked off until later, when I checked again. But by that point, I was too tired to deal with it.

This is also my periodic reminder that there is a soccer forum on Forum Ice. We could use some new blood over there,

Well, I watched the whole thing which is why I'm dragging this morning ... yeesh, that was weird. The US played like hot garbage, got their tactics all wrong (and stuck with them, which is ... whatever, I'm through defending Berhalter), their best players looked terrible (but scored), and they almost certainly don't win if Steffan doesn't get hurt. Mexico ought to be freaking ashamed of themselves for losing that game. It was 100% handed to them and they said "nah"

This generation of young US players could be special, but I seriously doubt that's going to happen under the direction of Berhalter.

Watch out when they play Trinidad and Tobago! That country is so small their DC ambassador stays at Motel 6
Trinidad and Tobago was eliminated from the CONCACAF World Cup qualifying tournament by Bahamas, the 10th worst team in the world according to the FIFA rankings.

Funny story. I know the ambassador from Trinidad through a close friend. He stays in a nice brownstone in DC.
I spent 2 weeks in Port Of Spain on business in 1982 and flew to Tobago for a day to snorkel on Buccoo Reef. Sadly, I was with a couple of homebodies and we ate too many meals at our hotel, so I never saw much beyond the ride from the hotel to the office.

Back