• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-Whenever Misc. Grab Bag Thread

No one brings up Jim Rome and his fanatical, pre-written take having, Monster energy drink drinking, testosterone fueled, never kissed a woman, hardo wannabes? Come on, those guys are true sports enthusiasts :ROFLMAO: .

I could* tolerate Rome himself for all of five minutes at a time, but his callers though, woof, awful. The worst radio that I've ever heard is that dumb ass smackoff day.

*past tense because he's not on the air here in the Triangle anymore. Good riddance

I could* tolerate Rome himself for all of five minutes at a time, but his callers though, woof, awful. The worst radio that I've ever heard is that dumb ass smackoff day.

*past tense because he's not on the air here in the Triangle anymore. Good riddance
Yep, Rome is a decent interviewer but the callers make the show a total trainwreck.

if anyone is really jonesing for Rome, his show is simulcast on CBS Sports Network from noon - 3.

I have an Alexa device so I just tell it to play CBS sports radio. I do the same for the Dan Patrick Show which is still my favorite. I just tell it to play NBC sports radio at 9:00 AM

No one brings up Jim Rome and his fanatical, pre-written take having, Monster energy drink drinking, testosterone fueled, never kissed a woman, hardo wannabes? Come on, those guys are true sports enthusiasts :ROFLMAO: .
I enjoyed Rome's show in small doses. When a real mouth breather got on a roll, you could always switch the channel. I haven't actively listened to the guy in over a decade though. I pretty much gave up talk radio in general about 8-10 years ago. I do NOT miss it.

The only sports radio I really ever listened to was Steve Logan’s show. I have a hard enough time suffering your average game announcer or color commentator.

The only sports radio I really ever listened to was Steve Logan’s show. I have a hard enough time suffering your average game announcer or color commentator.
Logan's show was fun. He was the rare former coach or player who approached it openly and with brutal honesty ... for the most part. 90% of those guys would never admit their mistakes like Steve Logan routinely did. He was authentic and relatively schtick-free.

I loved Steve Logan's show and that he was into blues music & used it as bump music for each segment. I also get his love for fishing. It's not always about the catching, but being outdoors and observing wildlife is soul satisfying.

Jim

The Carolina Panthers have conducted a mercy killing and fired head coach Matt Rhule. Defensive coordinator Steve Wilks, who coached the Arizona Cardinals to a 3-13 record in 2018 was named interim coach.

I wasn’t happy when the Panthers signed Rhule, only because they wouldn’t let him leave Charlotte without a contract, and he was supposed to interview with the Giants the next day. So the Giants ended up with Joe Judge instead. Fortunately, they realized their mistake early enough and cleaned house and now sit at 4-1.

Here's a link on Rhule. Ridiculous hire in the first place and the fact that Tepper watched him slowly drown for 38 freaking games is even more ridiculous. Cutting him loose now when there are some early college openings actually does Rhule a great service. He'll be an attractive candidate for most of those college jobs. I seriously doubt he'd even get a sniff at a position coach job elsewhere in the NFL.

Here's a link on Rhule. Ridiculous hire in the first place and the fact that Tepper watched him slowly drown for 38 freaking games is even more ridiculous. Cutting him loose now when there are some early college openings actually does Rhule a great service. He'll be an attractive candidate for most of those college jobs. I seriously doubt he'd even get a sniff at a position coach job elsewhere in the NFL.

Rhule only had 1 year as a NFL position coach, as O-Line coach for the 2012 Giants. And most of his college experience was outside the Power 5, with the 3 years at Baylor and 1 year early in his career as an assistant at UCLA.

Steve Wilks is a North Carolina guy, West Charlotte HS and App State.

Baker Mayfield has a high ankle sprain and will miss several weeks. So Wilks gets to go into his first game with rookie PJ Walker at QB.

Baker Mayfield has a high ankle sprain and will miss several weeks. So Wilks gets to go into his first game with rookie PJ Walker at QB.
It'd be better if Walker was a rookie, but he's that Temple guy that Rhule has kept around as an (ineffective) human comfort blanket for his entire time in Charlotte. Darnold and Matt Corral are already hurt, and they've got some schlub on the practice squad. So they're gonna have to find another QB off the scrap heap somewhere to cover their bets. Good thing they should be shifting to (intentional) tank mode, because ... yeah.

Back