• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-Whenever Misc. Grab Bag Thread

I think Pack fans need to worry about all the bad to average BB coaches they keep hiring rather than where they play. Robinson, Lowe, Sendek, Gottfried and Keatts are not really ACC quality. Maybe Davis will do well but if he doesn't he will probably gone after 4 years. K and Dean and Roy Williams were nobodies when they became head coaches. And all 3 are hall of famers as coaches.
K and Williams might have been nobodies to the casual fan, but not to people who follow college basketball. K was an assistant at one of the highest profile schools in the country in the mid to late 70s and Williams was an assistant for 10 years at another high profile school. Dean Smith might not have been known nationally before the explosion in interest but he was on the staff of 2 high profile coaches, Phog Allen and Frank McGuire.

1. He's a Hole. Fudge him.
2. When he publicly repudiates the 30 year eligibility scam, I'll reconsider. I'll not start holding my breath.
3. The quip about Reynolds was referring to his comparison of Cameron and Reynolds from his playing days. Duke students shout things at you and make you laugh. State students shout things as you and make you cry. Anyone who thinks the atmosphere in PNC is the same as Reynolds is a pinball wizard. A consistently high quality product might help, however.
Be that as all of it may, I know Hubert a little and there's nothing phony about the guy ... unlike more than one on that coaching tree. He coaches and played at my school's rival. That's all.

Plus, the older I get the less I care about the whole pile of nonsense that is college athletics. The whole thing is an elaborate and expensive game of three card monte, and the idea that the actual value of our alma mater is somehow tied to something as trivial as that stuff is ridiculous. Screw it. We win games, we lose games ... they're still games. Baylor isn't a better school because they won last night, and if they are then there's something seriously wrong with the world.

Doherty got off to real bad start at UNC because he fired everyone : coaches, even the long time admin assistants in the BB office. Smith and Guthridge were upset about that from day 1. So when he started to lose he really had nobody in his corner and he got axed quickly after year 3. I don't think Davis is going to do stuff that will upset Williams. He won't be a bad coach but who knows if he can get to level of Smith and Williams.

I'm a little sick of re-plowing all of this ground ... but if Doherty had recruited well enough to maintain their on court success, he'd have been fine. Carolina gets very precious about all their culture stuff, and he definitely tromped on the rose bushes there, but it was the winning that was the problem. 100%. It's always about the winning. If he had been able to recruit well enough to maintain the talent level he inherited, then he'd have been fine ... despite tossing aside a lot of the cultural trappings and despite not playing the PR game with the donors. Win and you stay in ... even if you're a jerk. Lose and you don't.

I'm a little sick of re-plowing all of this ground ... but if Doherty had recruited well enough to maintain their on court success, he'd have been fine. Carolina gets very precious about all their culture stuff, and he definitely tromped on the rose bushes there, but it was the winning that was the problem. 100%. It's always about the winning. If he had been able to recruit well enough to maintain the talent level he inherited, then he'd have been fine ... despite tossing aside a lot of the cultural trappings and despite not playing the PR game with the donors. Win and you stay in ... even if you're a jerk. Lose and you don't.
He recruited well enough for dingleberry dog to win a natty soon after taking over.

the problem was Doherty should never have been hired with only 1 year head coaching experience. Even Dean Smith said they should look at non UNC alums to hire. He even mentioned Rick Majerus as a guy they should have talked to. After Wooden UCLA hired a bunch of alums and most did not last very long. Same with Alabama FB after Bryant.

He recruited well enough for dingleberry dog to win a natty soon after taking over.
Maybe so, but he recruited guys that wouldn't play for HIM. It's not just about talent ... it's about talent that fits. What fits for Huckleberry Hound may not fit for you. To the larger point ... keep winning and keep your job, whether you're a jerk or not.

anyone know a plumber who can run a short natural gas line? I have a quote of $1000 which seems way too high.
Probably a minimum charge. You have to pull a permit for a gas line, now matter how minor, so a lot of service contractors will just call anything minor like that a thousand bucks and call it a day. Maybe talk to whoever did your HVAC work? I don't know any smaller plumbers who will do gas work without it being a favor ... and I'm out of the game long enough that nobody owes me a favor.

Back