• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2020-21 Premier League Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The Premier League released the fixtures today. The season starts on September 12, but the 2 Manchester clubs were given a few extra days off after their European competitions ended, the May start in the middle,of the week although those dates aren‘t set yet. Fulham opens with a derby against Arsenal, Leeds travels to Liverpool and West Brom host Leicester. FIFA and the IFAB are allowing clubs to retain the 20 man matchday squads and 5 subs, but the league will revert back to 18 man matchday squads and 3 subs. The drinks break has also been scrapped.

NBC has moved all of their streaming to Peacock Premium, their $9.99 per month service. They’ll stream more than 175 matches and 1,500 hours of related programming. It replaces NBCSports Gold. It’s not available for Roku or Fire TV but is on most other platforms.

US International Antonee Robinson leaves Wigan for Fulham. He had been at Wigan for 2 years, the first on loan from Everton, the 2nd as a permanent player after a transfer. He came through Everton‘s academy and signed a professional contract with them but never had a senior appearance. He spent 2017-18 at Bolton before moving to Wigan.

US International Antonee Robinson leaves Wigan for Fulham. He had been at Wigan for 2 years, the first on loan from Everton, the 2nd as a permanent player after a transfer. He came through Everton‘s academy and signed a professional contract with them but never had a senior appearance. He spent 2017-18 at Bolton before moving to Wigan.
A guy about whom I still can't make up my mind. He can't defend at all but sometimes makes up for it bombing up the wing ... and sometimes doesn't.

Leicester sell Ben Chillwell to Chelsea for £50 million.

Arsenal sign center backs Pablo Mari and Cedric Soares to permanent deals after their loans expired. I hope that means I don’t have to watch David Luiz and Shkodran Mustafi muddle around in the back. They’re also exploring a sale of Ainsley Maitland-Niles to Wolves for £20 million. I hope he speaks Portuguese.

Thiago Silva joins Chelsea from PSG on a free transfer. He signed a 1 year deal but feels that he has 3 or 4 years left.

Leeds sign Spain’s #9 Rodrigo from Valencia for £26 million.

Chelsea sign midfielder Kai Havertz from Bayer Leverkusen for £72 million with £18 million in add-ons.

Man U sign Ajax and Netherlands midfielder Donnie van de Beek for €45 million. Personal terms have not been agreed yet.

Arsenal terminate Henrikh Mikhitaryan’s contract by mutual consent and he signs for Roma on a permanent deal, after playing there on loan last season.

Brighton hosted Chelsea in a friendly Saturday in the first match with spectators (in limited numbers).

"A little bit of normality"

NASCAR has had fans for a few races, but there is a huge difference between the 180,000 seat Texas Motor Speedway and the 30,000 seat Amex. They had an estimated 15-20,000 at Texas on July 20, so around 10% capacity.

Chelsea sign midfielder Kai Havertz from Bayer Leverkusen for £72 million with £18 million in add-ons.

Man U sign Ajax and Netherlands midfielder Donnie van de Beek for €45 million. Personal terms have not been agreed yet.
Two of the more influential players playing for any of the non-top flight UCL contenders. Both are the kinds of guys you build an attack around ... or the kind you squander by being stubbornly set in your ways. Guess how that usually goes in England.

Leicester sign Belgian International Timothy Castsgne from Atalanta for £22 million to replace Ben Chilwell.

Arsenal sign defender Gabriel Magalhaes from Lille for a reported €30 million. Between him, Saliba returning from loan, Mari and Cedric on permanent deals, Arteta should be able to shore up the back line.

Lille had a pretty good collection of talent and I wonder if they aren't one of those "middle class" markets that's really going to struggle to keep their players over the next couple of transfer windows. Without full gate receipts, it's tough for the middlers in leagues that don't quite have the same kind of TV money coming in that Premiere League clubs do.

Just what European soccer needs ... another factor to push the elite clubs to continue to separate from the pack. Ugh.

Lille had a pretty good collection of talent and I wonder if they aren't one of those "middle class" markets that's really going to struggle to keep their players over the next couple of transfer windows. Without full gate receipts, it's tough for the middlers in leagues that don't quite have the same kind of TV money coming in that Premiere League clubs do.

Just what European soccer needs ... another factor to push the elite clubs to continue to separate from the pack. Ugh.

Lille avoided relegation by 1 point in 2017-18. They nearly doubled their point total the next season going from 38 to 75 points and a distant 2nd place finish, 16 points behind PSG. They’re back in Europe this year, straight to the Europa League Group Stage. They got a new owner in 2016 or 2017 though

Semi-Premier League related. NBCSN has acquired broadcast rights for the FA Women’s Super League. They’re committed to 50 matches. Most matches will be behind the Peacock paywall, but some will be shown live and others on tape delay on NBCSN. Chelsea v. Man U will be shown live on Sunday at noon eastern.

Lille avoided relegation by 1 point in 2017-18. They nearly doubled their point total the next season going from 38 to 75 points and a distant 2nd place finish, 16 points behind PSG. They’re back in Europe this year, straight to the Europa League Group Stage. They got a new owner in 2016 or 2017 though
Yeah ... they went young and dynamic in their player acquisitions once that new owner got his management group together. Shame to see them have to break up the party just when they're getting the payoff. FWIW, I saw Lopez (Lille's Spanish tech industry owner) linked to Beckham's group at Miami in MLS a couple of times but nothing ever came of it. He went to college in the States and I wonder if he'll end up being a player in MLS at some point if he expands his reach to some cheaper markets.

Yeah ... they went young and dynamic in their player acquisitions once that new owner got his management group together. Shame to see them have to break up the party just when they're getting the payoff. FWIW, I saw Lopez (Lille's Spanish tech industry owner) linked to Beckham's group at Miami in MLS a couple of times but nothing ever came of it. He went to college in the States and I wonder if he'll end up being a player in MLS at some point if he expands his reach to some cheaper markets.

His first foray into ownership was with CS Fola Esch in Luxembourg. It doesn’t get much cheaper than that.

Aston Villa have signed right back Matty Cash from Nottingham Forest for £14 million with potentially £2 million in add-ins.

Aston Villa have signed right back Matty Cash from Nottingham Forest for £14 million with potentially £2 million in add-ins.
Frees up some money down the road, since Cash is now a right back and they can probably dump Freddie Guilbert ... an over-priced and frequently injured fullback that Dean Smith apparently hates.

Jack Grealish signed a 5 year contract at Villa so I guess this means he’s not leaving? Unless they’re relegated again?

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang is close to signing his extension with Arsenal. So that nightmare is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back