• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2021-22-23-24 News Thread

Real Madrid win LaLiga and Carlo Ancelotti is the first manager to win league titles in all 5 top European Leagues. He previously won the Premeier Leafe at Chelsea, Bundesliga at Bayern, Ligue 1 at PSG and Serie A at AC Milan.

Real Madrid win LaLiga and Carlo Ancelotti is the first manager to win league titles in all 5 top European Leagues. He previously won the Premeier Leafe at Chelsea, Bundesliga at Bayern, Ligue 1 at PSG and Serie A at AC Milan.
What a weird career Anceloti has had. So many trophies. So many jobs.

Seattle Sounders won CONCACAF Champions League last night by just wearing out Pumas in the second leg in Seattle. First MLS side to lift that ugly trophy

US Soccer Federation and the players associations for mens and womens national teams have agreed on a CBA through 2028 that sets equal pay for both teams. Appearance fees and roster payments for friendlies and non-World Cup matches. They’ll also receive identical performance bonuses for official competitions other than the World Cup. USWNT players will no longer have guaranteed salaries and The Federation won’t pay the salaries of players in NWSL. Prize money from the World Cups will be pooled and players on the roster will be paid equal percentages.

FWIW, the US national team women in the NWSL had already lost their stipends for this season and the new NWSL CBA was written with that presumption. This just made it official. That's why some budget minded NWSL teams like Carolina were shedding their USWNT players this off season. Foreign internationals are a lot cheaper. Honestly, the stipend was a thing that sounded good in the early days of NWSL but it ended up doing more harm than good in the long run. It kept over-complicating the math for one thing, and it created two classes of players in NWSL ... which hampered their ability to build collective representation by guaranteeing that national team players would have different stakes. This is clean, logical and seems fair.

So they get exactly what was offered, but they turned down, in the last contract negotiation, but get to act like it's a win and save face.
Not exactly ... what they got offered last time still included the stipend. That's a thing that sounds good, but is actually depresses the market and leaves the players pay rate to the whims of the national team manager's roster decisions. It's REALLY bad for players on the fringes of the national team roster. That was worth holding out for from the players' perspective. And it forces NWSL owners to grow up and carry their own water, which is going to be terrific for that league in the long run.

MLS news ... Charlotte FC just fired their coach 14 games into an expansion season that is actually going quite well, especially considering their self inflicted roster building chaos. Miguel Angel Ramirez is out, along with his fitness and video analysis guys. Technical assistant Christain Lattanzio will take over as interim.

Bottom line ... Dave Tepper might be one of the worst owners in American sports. Cool.

The Athletic has some more reporting on the Charlotte FC situation and apparently a Designated Player told the team that he was not returning from the international break if Ramirez was still in charge. The only guy who fits that description is Polish striker Karol Swiderski, who arrived late, scored a bunch and then ended up slumping and getting benched. Fun.

The Nations League has resumed and the Dutch are absolutely curbstomping the Belgians in Brussels, 3-0 in the 63rd minute. The Red Devils look awful.

According to David Ornstein at The Athletic, PSG and Mauricio Pochettino have mutually agreed to part ways. His contract wasn’t set to expire until next June. PSG also replaced their Sporting Director last week.

The Nations League has resumed and the Dutch are absolutely curbstomping the Belgians in Brussels, 3-0 in the 63rd minute. The Red Devils look awful.
I'm with those who have zero interest in Nations League and have no idea why they're wedging this nonsense into a World Cup year. Any European power not playing their B team has lost their minds, because any rankings points you lose right now can easily be replenished at the actual World Cup.

BTW ... speaking of Nations League nonsense in Europe, CONCACAF Nations League is underway as well. And it makes just about as much sense. The first two group rounds are played now and the last two will be played in March or 2023 ... with the Finals happening right before Gold Cup next summer. This whole thing is as dumb as a pile of sawdust.

MLS signed a 10 year broadcast agreement with Apple TV starting in the 2023 season. There will be a MLS streaming service subscription available in the Apple TV app. No pricing yet.

Fine. I wish the deal was with a carrier that I already pay for (other than seasonally when Ted Lasso comes out), but whatever. I know I'm the only one around here who actually watches MLS on the regular, so I'll take one for the team :0)

Fine. I wish the deal was with a carrier that I already pay for (other than seasonally when Ted Lasso comes out), but whatever. I know I'm the only one around here who actually watches MLS on the regular, so I'll take one for the team :0)
My Portland-based daughter is thrilled. And with all the matches being accessible, I’d probably watch more MLS than a few minutes every weekend.

Back