• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2021-22-23-24 News Thread

Yup. Big mistake, especially for such a low reward kind of player. There was a time when Daniels was one of the best left backs in NWSL, but at the time they signed her they already had Emily Fox in that slot. It made little sense, trying her out as a winger didn't really work on the pitch and the whole mess cost them BIG on the PR front ... which they barely even managed to bother to address at all. VERY dumb move from a front office that has otherwise been very smart.
Yeah, I got into an argument on Twitter with one of their PR people during her first stint with the club.

Celebrity lawyer Joe Tacopina is in negotiations to buy League 2 side Tranmere Rovers, hoping to achieve Wrexham-like success. He’s owned and sold multiple clubs in Italy. He was part of the American group that bought Roma in 2011. He sold his share in 2014 and moved on to Bologna. He sold them a year later and bought Venezia, bringing them from the 4th tier to 2nd. He sold them in 2020 and bought SPAL in 2021. In Serie A as recently as 2020, they were relegated to the 3rd tier and started out minus 3 points for missing a tax payment, which also saw Tacopina suspended for 3 months. It’s they suspension they his probably preventing his approval by the EFL.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/57...vers-joe-tacopina/?source=user_shared_article

Another season ender at a high profile club. Barcelona keeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen is out for the season with a ruptured right patellar tendon.

Obviously an error, but I don't think they have an angle to show exactly how much the ball moved to the side. He was also at the perfect distance where the ball could change direction enough to get buy him, but he didn't have time to react. If he's closer to it, it hits him still and if he's further away he has enough time to react and dive.

The Chicago Fire hired GGG as Director of Football and Head Coach. It’s a good thing MLS doesn’t have relegation.
Berhalter is a perfectly decent MLS coach. He'll do fine in that role, but if I'm a Fire fan (I am not) then my concern would be the duel roles. That has a history of going VERY badly in MLS, even for people with a lot more going on than Gregg. Also, that's a poorly run organization from top to bottom, so ... low bars all around. It'll be fine.

Jurgen Klopp has a new gig. Starting on January 1, he’ll be head of global soccer at Red Bull. He’ll provide strategic guidance to all clubs in the Red Bull network. He said in a release “…I see my role primarily as a mentor for the coaches and management of the Red Bull clubs but ultimately I am one part of an organisation that is unique, innovative and forward looking. As I said, this could not excite me more.”

It will probably go over like a fart in church in Germany. Red Bull is despised, their corporate ownership is unique in the Bundesliga and they had to go through some gyrations to conform to the 50+1 rule which requires that ultimate control of a club belongs to the members.

Yeah, if anybody in soccer has enough goodwill in the bank to pull that off without blowback, it's Klopp.

Yeah, if anybody in soccer has enough goodwill in the bank to pull that off without blowback, it's Klopp.
Oh it's coming. He might, but barely. And Reds fans are piling on, too. Having publicly denounced the Red Bull corporate model just a couple of years ago, he looks super hypocritical. 🤷

Oh it's coming. He might, but barely. And Reds fans are piling on, too. Having publicly denounced the Red Bull corporate model just a couple of years ago, he looks super hypocritical. 🤷
He gets to hang in Mallorca, travel when he wants and cash big checks. A nice retirement gig. He reportedly has a release contract if the German National Team job opens. He said he was done with club soccer, but we’ll see.

View: https://youtu.be/bRl_sBg6GX8?si=zWcKe2uMJ7VLzz5j

Arsenal women’s coach Jonas Eidevall resigned. The team has struggled this season, winning 1 of their first 4 WSL matches and have only picked up 5 points in their first 4 Women’s Champions League matches. Under Eidevall, they finished 2nd in his first year before 3rd place finishes the last 2 seasons.

Hard to feel sad for Eidvall primarily because he is a colossal a-hole, but their personnel department didn't have a great summer. Given Arsenal's setup, I'm not sure how much of that is on him

ESPN. Is reporting that Thomas Tuchel will be announced as the new coach of the England National Team tomorrow.

Not popular in some corners of English fandom (he IS German after all), but Tuchel should be a pretty good national team manager I'd think. He's terrible at player relationships over time, but so long as he gets the rosters right there's less exposure to that kind of stuff and this English team kinds of needs a kick in the drawers anyway. I doubt anyone will like the guy, but who really cares if he gets results?

Back