• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2021-22-23-24 News Thread

Xabi Alonso has confirmed that he’s staying at Bayer Leverkusen beyond this season. That‘s a blow to both Liverpool and Bayern Munich, both of whom were rumored to be chasing him to fill vacant coaching spots.

The US Women won their 7th She Believes Cup with a come from behind win over Japan and a(nother) shootout win over Canada ... who must see Alyssa Neaher as some sort of national hex at this point. It was the end of Twyla Kilgore's interim period as coach, as Emma Hayes will be in charge in the next International window. There's one more of those before the Olympics in Paris this summer.

In other news, it looks like Chelsea's women will be naming Lyon boss Sonia Bompastor as Hayes' successor

The New York City Council voted to allow NYCFC to build a 25,000 seat stadium across Seaver Way from Citi Field in Queens. The city will own the land and lease it to the club, similar to the other stadiums in the city. The stadium is expected to cost about $780 million and will be financed by NYCFC majority owners City Football Group. The city will help finance nearby infrastructure.

The New York City Council voted to allow NYCFC to build a 25,000 seat stadium across Seaver Way from Citi Field in Queens. The city will own the land and lease it to the club, similar to the other stadiums in the city. The stadium is expected to cost about $780 million and will be financed by NYCFC majority owners City Football Group. The city will help finance nearby infrastructure.
Have you seen the renderings for "insert sponsor name here stadium?" It looks pretty sweet.

Have you seen the renderings for "insert sponsor name here stadium?" It looks pretty sweet.
I have not. For $780 million, I’d expect that. The only MLS stadium I’ve been to is Providence Park in Portland, pre- and post-renovation to see both the Thorns and Timbers. Most games are on the weekend, so I can’t get to Audi Field in DC when I’m in the office office.

Audi is pretty nice ... or at least it's nice comfortable place to watch a game. Red Bull Arena is kind of cool, if you ignore the general neighborhood and how hard it is to get there from Midtown. I really like the miniature bowl stadium in Orlando too. Used to be Exploria Field but they just changed the name to something I simply cannot remember. Seats like 20-25K and feels like a big European stadium scaled down. I had a trip to Nashville rescheduled but I hope to see a Nashville SC home game this June. I've heard great things about that stadium. That 25K size really seems to work well for MLS.

Kraft is doing his every few years tease of actually building a Boston area stadium for the Revs. I won't hold my breath. I would definitely start going more than once every other year like I do now.

Kraft is doing his every few years tease of actually building a Boston area stadium for the Revs. I won't hold my breath. I would definitely start going more than once every other year like I do now.
Somerville? Southie? Cambridge? Everett?

As for Red Bull, Harrison isn’t great, but isn’t it a few minute walk from a PATH station?

As for Red Bull, Harrison isn’t great, but isn’t it a few minute walk from a PATH station?
It is, but last time I was there it was a convoluted route to get there. Admittedly, I was starting in Brooklyn, so ...

Well, he could have a second tenant this time so maybe that would make a difference. The NWSL Boston expansion team is still struggling to get their stadium situation settled, last I heard. They're committed to being in the general Boston footprint and would probably sign up on a new Revs stadium in about a heartbeat.

Well, he could have a second tenant this time so maybe that would make a difference. The NWSL Boston expansion team is still struggling to get their stadium situation settled, last I heard. They're committed to being in the general Boston footprint and would probably sign up on a new Revs stadium in about a heartbeat.

The proposed area they were looking at before was renovating White stadium in Franklin park. Any women's professional team HAS to be located in the Boston area or it's dead in the water for sure. It's a much smaller and less expensive venture than what Kraft is looking to do and there is push back in large part because it would involve public funds, though it would be available for the city to use when the team wasn't playing. The other big difference is that it could actually happen unlike the Kraft "proposal" where none of us actually believe it's going to happen.

The US and Mexico have dropped their interest in hosting the 2027 Women's World Cup in favor of concentrating on 2031. Interesting and kind of surprising, but it makes sense on a logistical level. FIFA have dragged their feet to the point that whoever ends up hosting 2027 will be in crash mode right from the day they're awarded the Cup. Why do that when you can set yourself up to do it right four years down the road?

The US and Mexico have dropped their interest in hosting the 2027 Women's World Cup in favor of concentrating on 2031. Interesting and kind of surprising, but it makes sense on a logistical level. FIFA have dragged their feet to the point that whoever ends up hosting 2027 will be in crash mode right from the day they're awarded the Cup. Why do that when you can set yourself up to do it right four years down the road?

So it’s down to Brazil or a joint bid between The Netherlands, Belgium and Germany. The 2014 Men’s World Cup was such a logistical nightmare, and the federation’s tepid support of women’s football should disqualify Brazil.

So it’s down to Brazil or a joint bid between The Netherlands, Belgium and Germany. The 2014 Men’s World Cup was such a logistical nightmare, and the federation’s tepid support of women’s football should disqualify Brazil.
Yeah, the general logic seems to be favoring the European bid, with the US/Mexico bid in 2031 and (hopefully) England after that. I know FIFA would like to take the women's Cup to South America and the Middle East but how about they show some sort of substantial support for women's sports in general first? The English FA will be very disappointed if they end up waiting until 2035, since they were very hopeful of hosting in 2031 to follow up a big Cup in the US while they've got all the wind from the last Euros at their backs. But this is FIFA and when have they ever given a crap about the FA?

Men in Blazers reported that Will Ferrell is buying a minority interest in Leeds United. 49ers Enterprises had taken full control last summer after starting with a minority stake in 2018. Ferrell also owns a stake in MLS LAFC.

Back