• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2021-22-23-24 News Thread

Yup. And pulling out while also contributing yet another huge chunk of debt to the club's books is ... well, it's hard to put in words. Those poor supporters. Moshiri deserves nothing and will likely get it. 777 deserves a world of hurt and it looks like they're in the process of getting it. Those Everton fans deserve none of this hardship and anxiety yet they're going to get it in spades ... as the only people involved who really give a crap about the welfare of the club.
It's always the fans that end up with the worst of it all. Funny thing is, in our Pasadena Reds group, opinion is in two camps: many of us who are sympathetic with a fellow Liverpool club team that has stood with us through the worst (Hillsborough) or who have friendlier relations with Evertonians through family and friendships. And then others who've had less than friendly experiences with Evertonians (family, friends, co-workers) are reveling in their potential demise. Me? Count me in the former camp. I'd hate to see them lose points because of all their financial straits that could cause their demotion. And the lack of certainty over the whole thing has to be so unsettling. Hopefully a new, deep pocket might emerge for the fans' sake.

It's always the fans that end up with the worst of it all. Funny thing is, in our Pasadena Reds group, opinion is in two camps: many of us who are sympathetic with a fellow Liverpool club team that has stood with us through the worst (Hillsborough) or who have friendlier relations with Evertonians through family and friendships. And then others who've had less than friendly experiences with Evertonians (family, friends, co-workers) are reveling in their potential demise. Me? Count me in the former camp. I'd hate to see them lose points because of all their financial straits that could cause their demotion. And the lack of certainty over the whole thing has to be so unsettling. Hopefully a new, deep pocket might emerge for the fans' sake.
There aren’t many pockets deeper than The Friedkin Group. The issue is the structure of the debt and who really holds it. Is it 777, A-Cap or Leadenhall Capital Partners? Leadenhall has accused both 777 and A-Cap of fraud, in essence that Leadenall provided loans to 777 that were backed by collateral that was already pledged to A-Cap or that it didn’t exist at all. And then there is the stadium. Friedkin is now the senior debt holder on the stadium. Presumably, a new owner would want to take that over, they wouldn’t want to be rent payers in their new stadium. That’s another £800 million or so. So, to get full control of the club and stadium, it’s about £1.5 billion.

There aren’t many pockets deeper than The Friedkin Group. ...
Yeah, that was my concern. It will be nearly impossible to find one at this point, unless you get another state sovereign fund interested in taking over. Just don't know who might be interested.

The US has reportedly offered the USMNT job to Hoffenheim manager Pellegrino Matterazzo ... and don't let the name fool you. He's from New Jersey and the only difference between him and Berhalter is that he's been a mid results coach in Germany instead of in the US. Completely underwhelming choice, if true.

The US has reportedly offered the USMNT job to Hoffenheim manager Pellegrino Matterazzo ... and don't let the name fool you. He's from New Jersey and the only difference between him and Berhalter is that he's been a mid results coach in Germany instead of in the US. Completely underwhelming choice, if true.

He grew up in Wayne, the town next to where I grew up.

I’m not sure his coaching record qualifies as “mid”. He‘s won 1/3 of his matches, 53 wins in 159 matches as a caretaker at Nurnberg reserves and full time at Stuttgart and Hoffenheim. He did bring Hoffenheim in 7th last season and qualified for the Europa League.

For a guy with no international experience, that's pretty mid for me. He's competent, but his biggest achievement is ... what, exactly? Finishing 7th? The US are hosting a World Cup and they can't find a guy who's either managed an international side or won a trophy of any kind and this is supposed to instill confidence ... because he's from New Jersey? Sorry, I'm not getting fired up for yet another "let's hope he grows into it" hire. And you know I'm not one of those idiots who thought they could hire Pep or Ancelotti or whatever.

I don't hate it honestly. He has at least the thing tactically you want from your international manager which is a tactical philosophy, but ability to make certain changes to suit the players you have. Who that's realistic would you want the US to get? Keep in mind the fact that Bielsa is currently employed.

Absolutely! I also absolutely love him and he might be the greatest international manager of all time?
To be honest, I've grown tired of his schtick. He really showed his ass at the Copa and contributed heavily to what I consider an eruption of dangerous and inappropriate nonsense both on and off the pitch. People applaud him as some sort of wild eyed truth teller but everything that guy does is tactical and he thought his squad would benefit if things were wild and wooly ... so he did what he could to guarantee chaos.

BTW, I'm thinking the Matterazzo news is 100% a trial balloon to see just how much grief US Soccer will take from the public before making the hire official. They've done that before, remember. And yeah, he's an upgrade over previous, but pretty much anyone would be.

BTW, I'm thinking the Matterazzo news is 100% a trial balloon to see just how much grief US Soccer will take from the public before making the hire official. They've done that before, remember. And yeah, he's an upgrade over previous, but pretty much anyone would be.
He’s staying at Hoffenheim.

He’s staying at Hoffenheim.
Yup. I wonder how much of that is Mattarazzo saying no and how much is negative feedback. The public reaction seemed lukewarm at best.
If all this leads to Cherundelo or Nancy, the reaction will be much, much worse.

Poch would be good, I think. No international experience as a manager, but enough high profile jobs to know how to deal with the personalities for sure. It's gonna take a truckload of cash, but hopefully USSF won't let their miserly ways get in the way ... again. I'll not be holding my breath, either way. Let me know when this whole ordeal is over while a distract myself watching Emma Hayes do a great job with the women's team.

Well saw something I never expected to see. A ref clearly match fixing in a friendly during the Villa vs Dortmund game. I'm used to refs being incompetent so everyone thinks they're favoring one side, but they're just bad. I've never seen a ref have the audacity to see a ref call a match like he did for Dortmund. All I can say is I cannot wait to return to the world of merely incompetent refs and VAR next week.

MLS is planning to launch a women’s league in 2027 after the 2026 World Cup. It would not be a buyout of NWSL teams but would be a separate entity, although any MLS-owned NWSL teams would be involved. They’re looking to start with 10 teams, one of which would be affiliated with NYCFC, whose land-lease documents for their new stadium specifically mention a women’s team. New York Red Bulls and Columbus Crew are also thought to be involved.

This would be a disaster for women’s soccer in the US. NWSL and the PA just agreed on a new CBA that would take effect after the expiration of the current agreement after the 2026 season. NWSL’s media deal expires in 2027. And I’m sure that the groups that just splashed $120 million for the San Diego Wave and $250 million for Angel City will be thrilled to see a competing league. Remember when there were 2 competing women's basketball leagues? Which one survived, the independent league or the league backed by the NBA? The ABL launched 1 year before the WNBA but only lasted a few months into their 3rd season before shutting down

Back