• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2021-22-23-24 News Thread

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy????????

Every time I think Don Garber has settled into just doing his freaking job to make MLS a solid secondary league, he pulls some crap like this. The only reason to do this is that he and MLS think they need to control absolutely everything about high level soccer in the US, including getting their mitts all over the national teams.

Last edited:
American investment group Norfolk FB Holdings, which owns 40.4% of Norwich City, is increasing their share to about 85%. Delia Smith and her husband, Michael Wynn Jones also own 40.4% of the club but will reduce their holdings to 10% and resign from the board. They’ll both be named honorary life presidents. They’re not receiving payment for their shares. Norfolk FB Holdings is led by Mark Attanasio, who owns the Milwaukee Brewers. He’s also a co-owner of the AHL Milwaukee Admirals and is on the board of LA28.

I'm sure that will all work out just great for the good people of Norfolk who absolutely live and die with that team, just as American ownership has worked out so well for everyone else in English football ... ok, you can re-engage the sarcasm filter now.

As the European league seasons start, here are the broadcasters for the bigger leagues

NBC/Peacock - Premier League
ESPN - Bundesliga, La Liga, Eredivisie (Netherlands), Jupiler Pro League (Belgium), Carabao Cup, FA Cup, FA Women’s Cup
CBS/Paramount - Serie A, EFL, Scottish Premier League, FA Women’s Super League, UEFA Champions and Europa League
DAZN/BeInSports - Ligue 1

As the European league seasons start, here are the broadcasters for the bigger leagues

NBC/Peacock - Premier League
ESPN - Bundesliga, La Liga, Eredivisie (Netherlands), Jupiler Pro League (Belgium), Carabao Cup, FA Cup, FA Women’s Cup
CBS/Paramount - Serie A, EFL, Scottish Premier League, FA Women’s Super League, UEFA Champions and Europa League
DAZN/BeInSports - Ligue 1
I have all of these except DAZN. Not worth getting for just the French top flight. 🤷

Kevin Durant did some business while he was in Paris for the Olympics. His investment firm bought a “single digit millions” share of Paris Saint Germain via an investment in Actos Sports Partners, which bought a 12.5% stake in PSG last year.

American investment group Norfolk FB Holdings, which owns 40.4% of Norwich City, is increasing their share to about 85%. Delia Smith and her husband, Michael Wynn Jones also own 40.4% of the club but will reduce their holdings to 10% and resign from the board. They’ll both be named honorary life presidents. They’re not receiving payment for their shares. Norfolk FB Holdings is led by Mark Attanasio, who owns the Milwaukee Brewers. He’s also a co-owner of the AHL Milwaukee Admirals and is on the board of LA28.

There has to be more to this story. They're just voluntarily giving their shares and board seat away for free with an honorary title as all they're getting in return?

On the Norwich takeover, from Pink Un, a fan site

The statement said: "Delia and Michael have always been clear that they would act in the best interests of the club when passing on stewardship of it.

"In selecting Norfolk Holdings following their introduction to the club in 2022, and further strengthening of the relationship and alignment of interests since, Delia and Michael feel that the group are best placed to be the next custodians of the club.

"By structuring the agreement in this way, which involves no payment to Delia and Michael in exchange for the issuance of the preference shares that enable Norfolk Holdings to acquire majority control of Norwich City, the parties have secured the long-term financial security of the club and an effective and positive transition."

It looks like CBS/Paramount+ has the Carabao Cup, not ESPN. There are a couple of first round matches on Paramount today in the 2:45/3:00 EDT window.

Local news for me but worth noting anyway ... Univ. of North Carolina soccer coach Anson Dorrance announced his retirement at age 73. He had been coach of the women's program at UNC since it became a varsity sport in 1979, and had also been the men's coach from 1977-88. Dorrance was the first coach of the USWNT, guiding them to their win in the inaugural Women's World Cup in 1991. All told he won 21 NCAA titles, which even John Wooden thinks is bonkers. Dorrance's UNC teams recruited nationally and provided much of the early framework of the USWNT teams and his uber aggressive high press style became the standard for how the US would play the game for decades. If there is any one person responsible for the US women's status as a soccer power, it's Anson Dorrance.

It's being reported that Poch is taking over as head coach of the US Men's national team. Definitely the biggest relevant/non fraud name ever at the position if it ends up going through. No international experience so it's going to be interesting to see how he adapts to the much more limited world of national jobs. He's kind of been known for nurturing players and relationships and that's harder to do on national teams where you have very little time. I'm also curious if he tones down his normally aggressive high pressing in a tournament setting where you have a lot more matches in a short time period.

Still, a great hire as far as making a statement of intent and distancing yourself from the previous regime.

When Poch was at Southampton, Matt Crocker ran their academy, so they have a little history together.

When Poch was at Southampton, Matt Crocker ran their academy, so they have a little history together.
The overlap was only one season and there's not generally all that much crossover with the two positions. Other than just generally being familiar with one another, I think that's being a bit overplayed in the US media.

Last edited:
Shocking, just shocking. Didn't think it could/would happen. Hope this works
I mean, Poch is a perfectly competent manager with a pretty long resume at high level clubs. His preferred systems aren't cutting edge or anything, and should be relatively easy to install in a national team setting. It's not a no risk hire, but it's not exactly a leap of faith either. Like Emma Hayes, this is another manager who has proven competence which might drive the US soccer press a bit mental.

The overlap was only one season and there's not generally all that much crossover with the two positions. Other than just generally being familiar with one another, I think that's being a bit overplayed in the US media.
It’s only important in the context that they already have a relationship. It’s not something that has to be built from scratch. Does it matter? Maybe, maybe not.

The other thing is that he’s only 52. Is this a long term, beyond 2026 position, or will he want to jump back into the club world? Roberto Martinez is about the same age and he stayed with Belgium through 2 World Cup cycles and then moved to Portugal . Does Poch want to stay that long? Or is Crocker going to have to do this again in 2 years?

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm just seeing a lot of people who don't know very much act like Crocker and Poch are long lost soulmates or something. They were colleagues for one season. Which is not a negative or anything.

I'm 100% unconcerned about anything other than 2026 as a US fan. I just want to avoid anything even remotely similar to the Copa mess this summer and having competent senior team leadership is a great first step to ensuring that doesn't happen. After that, whatever happens happens.

My fear is that having a competent coach like this well raise our already bloated expectations and when the talent doesn't live up to the hopes, all crap breaks loose.

Back