• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2021-22: A Season of "Achievements"

WeHaveMoreCupsThanYou

I will get banned again soon, worry not.
Sure, on the surface it may look like an historically bad year for the franchise, but let's remember all the good things that the Habs achieved this season.

First and foremost, they achieved an ending to one of the most incompetent and destructive managerial tenures in franchise history when they were finally bad enough on the ice to force Molson to get rid of Bergevin and Timmins from the 7th floor executive suites.

This led to a second and potentially even more significant achievement: the hiring of an Anglo President and and Anglo GM, something I never thought we'd ever see again in Montreal. Despite the predictable outcry from the usual suspects in the French media, Molson's balls finally dropped and he did something real to address the problem rather than taking the safe route and hiring another unqualified "p'tit gars de chez nous" like Patrick Roy.

This move, in turn, led to the dismissal of another incompetent Francophone, Dom Ducharme. Replacing him with Marty St, Louis almost screwed us out of finishing last. He certainly had an impact on the players we all need him to have an impact on: Suzuki and Caufield. And when I saw a game go to overtime and St. Louis put out actual rookies to play instead of nailing them to the bench I knew that the philosophy had changed. This team now tries to win games rather than just not lose them. No more Plekanec/Danault bullshit Fredo hockey. That's an accomplishment for a franchise that has been risk-averse to the point of absurdity for the last 30 years.

And finally, the tank. We have achieved the best odds to get the first overall pick. But even if we wind up only getting the second or third pick we have the comfort of knowing that Bergevin and Timmins are no longer there to fuck it up so we should still get a good player.

It may not have felt like it while it was happening, but this was a season of achievement and certainly one with a lot more promise than our fluke trip to the final last season.

Sure, on the surface it may look like an historically bad year for the franchise, but let's remember all the good things that the Habs achieved this season.

First and foremost, they achieved an ending to one of the most incompetent and destructive managerial tenures in franchise history when they were finally bad enough on the ice to force Molson to get rid of Bergevin and Timmins from the 7th floor executive suites.

This led to a second and potentially even more significant achievement: the hiring of an Anglo President and and Anglo GM, something I never thought we'd ever see again in Montreal. Despite the predictable outcry from the usual suspects in the French media, Molson's balls finally dropped and he did something real to address the problem rather than taking the safe route and hiring another unqualified "p'tit gars de chez nous" like Patrick Roy.

This move, in turn, led to the dismissal of another incompetent Francophone, Dom Ducharme. Replacing him with Marty St, Louis almost screwed us out of finishing last. He certainly had an impact on the players we all need him to have an impact on: Suzuki and Caufield. And when I saw a game go to overtime and St. Louis put out actual rookies to play instead of nailing them to the bench I knew that the philosophy had changed. This team now tries to win games rather than just not lose them. No more Plekanec/Danault bullshit Fredo hockey. That's an accomplishment for a franchise that has been risk-averse to the point of absurdity for the last 30 years.

And finally, the tank. We have achieved the best odds to get the first overall pick. But even if we wind up only getting the second or third pick we have the comfort of knowing that Bergevin and Timmins are no longer there to fuck it up so we should still get a good player.

It may not have felt like it while it was happening, but this was a season of achievement and certainly one with a lot more promise than our fluke trip to the final last season.

The biggest win for me was the purging of the regime and the philosophy change to hire quality people and not cater to the french media . For once it wasnt the wash , rinse , repeat of hiring francophone knobs .

Bless you DD and the injuries , etc..... to finally put a nail in this stench coffin

The 18 wheeler fell off the cliff 2 years , only the covid gift kept this mirage alive

The roster is a fucken mess , Nero handed out too many shit contracts , and now finally the much needed reset that should of started with the PK TRADE is in full effect

Lets get this ship sailing in the right direction , every team in our division is ahead of us in terms of development/cap roster construction

ITS OVER ...LETS GO GORTON ....DO IT RIGHT

Last edited:
The whole season was depressing. We have another year of this before it even looks like something remotely better. Next year we might be an equally bad team with a better record, hence a worse draft pick.

All of the bad contracts are types that you have to let expire because they are untradeable.

It's easy to say rebuild until it hits you in the face.

The whole season was depressing. We have another year of this before it even looks like something remotely better. Next year we might be an equally bad team with a better record, hence a worse draft pick.

All of the bad contracts are types that you have to let expire because they are untradeable.

Teams who cant draft , develop and sign shit contracts ....the inevitable rebuild hits you in the face .

A few more years of pain minimum , only if they stop patching to futility

This year did not affect me at all

Identical year next season won't affect me at all, especially if it means Bedard.

Like a home project, there's a lot of sweat until you can enjoy it.

Identical year next season won't affect me at all, especially if it means Bedard.

Great post , at least a home project has a final completion date and not futility like a Nero rebuild

This was our 5th straight season of being underwhelming and just downright terrible. So another 3 years of it wont help the morale.

Last edited:
Jesperi Kotkaniemi at 6 million, no thanks! I remember a 1st round came back plus more. That can be considered an achievement....

This was our 5th straight season of being underwhelming and just downright terrible. So another 3 years of it wont help the morale.
Did you miss the run last year? So it was a fluke but who cares, it still happened. Bought a couple of years of pending awfulness, plus the team is now managed and coached by seemingly smart, non-dinosaur era thinking, people.

D was built for a playoff run, so it was a somewhat fluke. Imagine they did all that with an injured and semi effective Petry. Weber was far off his prime but still effective. Gallagher and Toffoli could not skate because of groin injuries.. Who knows, maybe they could have won if they were a bit healthier.

D was built for a playoff run, so it was a somewhat fluke. Imagine they did all that with an injured and semi effective Petry. Weber was far off his prime but still effective. Gallagher and Toffoli could not skate because of groin injuries.. Who knows, maybe they could have won if they were a bit healthier.

Team was not winning squat

Back