• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2021 NHL/Miscellaneous News Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HNIM

I thought I’d start this just so I could say how much I enjoy seeing the Pens at 0-2 and -6 GD. Philly handled them well.

I saw parts of the Avs dismantling of the Blues last night. As someone said on Twitter, the Avs new alternate logo is a Snowman, winning 8-0.

Eetu Luostarinen had his first NHL goal and added an assist in Florida's 5-2 win over Chicago tonight. Gustav Forsling played almost 21 minutes.

If you want to see an example of how teams are taking advantage of the taxi squad to manufacture cap space, Derek Ryan and the Flames are a perfect example. The Flames were able to pass Ryan through waivers and assign him to the taxi squad. Before every game (so far) they recall him from the taxi squad and play him. They then return him to the taxi squad on non-game days. The Flames keep a 20 man roster in place in between games.

Every day that Ryan is on the taxi squad reduces his cap hit for that day as team can "bury" $1.075 million in cap hit for guys on the taxi squad (or in the minors) There is no impact to Derek Ryan's actual pay in any way, and he continues to practice and play just like he was an every day member of the roster. Its all paper transactions.

If you want to see an example of how teams are taking advantage of the taxi squad to manufacture cap space, Derek Ryan and the Flames are a perfect example. The Flames were able to pass Ryan through waivers and assign him to the taxi squad. Before every game (so far) they recall him from the taxi squad and play him. They then return him to the taxi squad on non-game days. The Flames keep a 20 man roster in place in between games.

Every day that Ryan is on the taxi squad reduces his cap hit for that day as team can "bury" $1.075 million in cap hit for guys on the taxi squad (or in the minors) There is no impact to Derek Ryan's actual pay in any way, and he continues to practice and play just like he was an every day member of the roster. Its all paper transactions.

Is there a limit on how many games he can play before having to pass through waivers again? Or are all transactions between the team and taxi squad waivers exempt as long as they’ve cleared once?

Is there a limit on how many games he can play before having to pass through waivers again? Or are all transactions between the team and taxi squad waivers exempt as long as they’ve cleared once?
10 games or 30 days IIRC... Just like any other waives.

Correct. What Calgary might do is take that right up to 10 games and then after that just keep Derek Ryan on the roster. They could also waive him again after he hits that 10th game under the assumption that no one wants to take on his $3.125 million cap hit and salary (and if they do, well then, thank you very much!)

Does anyone in North America (fans) care about that annual tourney? Why have it every year? Maybe the Euro teams need the extra TV money

The IIHF has pulled Minsk as a co-host (with Riga) of the IIHF World Championship, which is supposed to get started in late May...

Meanwhile, World Cup preparations in Qatar go on.

The 4 Russians will miss the Caps next 4 games and then be re-assessed. Unlike the Canes with 5 positives, the Caps are playing.

The 4 Russians will miss the Caps next 4 games and then be re-assessed. Unlike the Canes with 5 positives, the Caps are playing.
Has the NHL released a position group threshold for cancellations or are they going all NASCAR and just making this up as they go along?

There is going to be a whole lot of 'we don't know all the details' as we go along here.

I'm wondering if part of the reason the Caps games are still on is because there are no actual positive tests, just the sidelining of 4 players who broke protocol, so there are no concerns of a bigger yet undetected spread across the team. Where it sure SEEMS like the Canes must be dealing with actual positive tests which potentially mean that some additional positive tests are possible, thus having any of their players play in the next week is too risky.

Maybe?

That is all we are going to be left to do all year as these situations unfold is guess as to what is really going on and why the NHL is making the decisions they are making. I also wouldn't put it past the NHL to be making an example out of the Caps situation by forcing them to play shorthanded. I had read in the Athletic a few hours after the news broke about the Russian 4 that the league can go so far as to force teams to forfeit games for blatant protocol violations.

There is going to be a whole lot of 'we don't know all the details' as we go along here.

I'm wondering if part of the reason the Caps games are still on is because there are no actual positive tests, just the sidelining of 4 players who broke protocol, so there are no concerns of a bigger yet undetected spread across the team. Where it sure SEEMS like the Canes must be dealing with actual positive tests which potentially mean that some additional positive tests are possible, thus having any of their players play in the next week is too risky.

Maybe?

That is all we are going to be left to do all year as these situations unfold is guess as to what is really going on and why the NHL is making the decisions they are making. I also wouldn't put it past the NHL to be making an example out of the Caps situation by forcing them to play shorthanded. I had read in the Athletic a few hours after the news broke about the Russian 4 that the league can go so far as to force teams to forfeit games for blatant protocol violations.
Ilya Samsonov appears to be the only positive test of the 4:

That explains a lot. Positive test, contract tracing bagged the other 3 breaking protocols (to their credit though they apparently were honest about breaking protocol). Regardless of whether or not Ovechkin and Orlov have had Covid in the past or not, its hasn't been 100% proven yet that they can't be carriers and spread the virus.

Last edited:
Russians like to party within their countrymen apparently, and history has shown Kuznetsov likes to party a little harder than Ovie...that much is Absolut!!! 😷

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back