• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2021 NHL/Miscellaneous News Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Taya Currie became the first girl drafted in the OHL Priority Selection. Sardis selected her 267th overall. She’s a goalie who has been playing on a boys AAA team. S arnica is aboutm45 miles from her hometown of Parkhill
Shout out to Parkhill, Ontario...a lovely 15 minute drive from Grand Bend where I grew up!!!

Taya Currie became the first girl drafted in the OHL Priority Selection. Sardis selected her 267th overall. She’s a goalie who has been playing on a boys AAA team. S arnica is aboutm45 miles from her hometown of Parkhill
Come on Andy. You’re getting slow in your old age 😛

Selke finalists don’t include Staal. Bergeron, Barkov and Stone are the finalists. Barkov? IMO, part of winning the award should be killing penalties. Barkov was only 5th highest among Panthers forwards for short handed time on ice. Bergeron was 3rd but only 6 seconds behind 1st. Stone was 4th but only 1 second behind 4th.

Edit: Among the top 4 Panthers centers, Barkov also took the lowest percentage of his faceoffs in the defensive zone.

Last edited:
Are you referring to that play on second base? If so, what the hell was *that*?
That among others. Look, officiating is hard. The games are fast and if you’re a foot out of position the whole play can be missed. But when you have 900 replays in slow motion, you have no excuse to still screw it up.

Selke finalists don’t include Staal. Bergeron, Barkov and Stone are the finalists. Barkov? IMO, part of winning the award should be killing penalties. Barkov was only 5th highest among Panthers forwards for short handed time on ice. Bergeron was 3rd but only 6 seconds behind 1st. Stone was 4th but only 1 second behind 4th.

Edit: Among the top 4 Panthers centers, Barkov also took the lowest percentage of his faceoffs in the defensive zone.
Meh ... the Selke is a nonsense award. We all know it so there's no point wasting any time on the thing.

Plus, Staal didn't deserve the thing anyway. He's a perfectly decent two way center, but he's not the best 2 way C (maybe even on his own team) and he's not the best purely defensive forward. So either way you slice it, Tripp has been pumping tires on that campaign. Again.

OK ... the one issue I can't seem to find any info on is whether or not they're allowing fans in the US team's building. Otherwise, it's going to be a huge home ice tilt with a nearly full building in Denver or Vegas and a couple of thousand in Montreal or 500 in the Peg*

*who are we kidding? The Jets are cooked.

OK ... the one issue I can't seem to find any info on is whether or not they're allowing fans in the US team's building. Otherwise, it's going to be a huge home ice tilt with a nearly full building in Denver or Vegas and a couple of thousand in Montreal or 500 in the Peg*

*who are we kidding? The Jets are cooked.
I don’t see how the league can stop allowing fans in Vegas or Denver when they’ve been there for a while. Plus, the league gets a cut of playoff ticket sales, right? I can’t see them turning down revenue. It’s the same situation, albeit a different scale than in the Canes/Preds series where attendance was more limited here than there. Of course, there is a bigger difference between the 10,500 in Denver or the 17,500 in Vegas and the 2,500 in Montreal last night compared to the disparity between Raleigh and Nashville.

Yeah, I'm sure the issue will be fleshed out with more reporting in the coming days, and it's 100% positive that they finally got some concessions from the Canadian government. That said, the North Division has been hampered badly in the post season all the way down the line this season so adding one more insult to their mountain of injuries is just ... a thing. It's not like Montreal really stands any chance against Vegas or Colorado either way, more than likely.

You have to beat the teams you play, but man, I think that North division was just a hot mess and all 4 of their playoff teams were so flawed that any of them would have been a sitting duck for whoever they play outside the division.

Congrats to the the Habs. Who knows what happens next round but I'm not at all buying in yet.

You have to beat the teams you play, but man, I think that North division was just a hot mess and all 4 of their playoff teams were so flawed that any of them would have been a sitting duck for whoever they play outside the division.

Congrats to the the Habs. Who knows what happens next round but I'm not at all buying in yet.
The Habs are about to get a cruel awakening next round whoever they get between Colorado and Vegas. It was a great run but the Cinderella slipper is about to fall off...if anyone begs to differ, I would be happy to wager some cash as long as you wanna take the Habs!

The Habs are about to get a cruel awakening next round whoever they get between Colorado and Vegas. It was a great run but the Cinderella slipper is about to fall off...if anyone begs to differ, I would be happy to wager some cash as long as you wanna take the Habs!
As long as Price keeps drinking from the Fountain of Youth, they have a chance. Am I willing to bet on them? Nope. But he’s turned back the clock 5-6 years to the guy who won the Hart, Lindsey, Vezina and Jennings in 2014-15

Meanwhile, the Islanders edged ahead in the other bracket ... taking a 3-2 series lead over Boston with an uncharacteristic 5 goal effort in Game 5. Barzal has finally found some traction in the last couple of games, which has made a huge difference ... as has Tukka Rask's sudden vulnerability.

Meanwhile, the Islanders edged ahead in the other bracket ... taking a 3-2 series lead over Boston with an uncharacteristic 5 goal effort in Game 5. Barzal has finally found some traction in the last couple of games, which has made a huge difference ... as has Tukka Rask's sudden vulnerability.
And Cassidy is whining about the officiating.

Seen elsewhere:

Since the foundation of the NHL (1917) one thing has remained true for every single season of its history:

If a Toronto team plays a Montreal team in the playoffs, the winner of that series wins the Stanley Cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back