• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-2023 NHL Misc. Thread

Iafrate missed all of 1994-95 and 1995-96 due to injury and then played 59 games over 2 season in San Jose. He never made it to camp with the Canes in 1998 and retired. But don’t forget, he called JR in 2001 and asked about a tryout, but it never came to pass.

Last edited:
Bernier will go down in franchise history as one of the greatest goalies who had a contract here for a period of time and never played a game for us.

His unknown number will go up into the rafters to live forever with all-time franchise greats such as:

Patrick Marleau
Al Iafrate
Steve Larmer
Jim Dowd
Gary Suter
Kent-Erik Andersson
Ken Linseman
Did James Wisniewski and Ondrej Kase not make this list because they each played a couple shifts as Hurricanes?

Bolts sign Brandon Hagel to a 8 year/$65 million extension. That’s a heft raise from the 3 year/$4.5 million contract he’s playing under this season. He broke out last year and set new career highs with 30 goals and 34 assists in his first full year in Tampa.

Edit: My bad. I transposed the AAV into the contract value. It’s $52 million for 8 years, $6.5 million AAV

Last edited:
Meh ... personally, I think that's the best you're gonna get from Hagel so paying him as basically a point per game guy for a max term seems a stretch.

I get the idea, and it probably works out in the longer term ... but I just get the sense from having watched him more this last season that Hagel has hit his ceiling.

Elliotte Friedman says the Oilers and Evan Bouchard are closing in on a 2 year bridge deal at $3.9 million AAV. Not getting him signed long-term like the Bolts did with Hagel could cost them a fortune next time around.

Elliotte Friedman says the Oilers and Evan Bouchard are closing in on a 2 year bridge deal at $3.9 million AAV. Not getting him signed long-term like the Bolts did with Hagel could cost them a fortune next time around.
Maybe ... but it's smart on Bouchard's part. That's a reasonable short term rate of pay and if they keep using him like they are now, he's gonna get bank on the next one. No reason to lock on based on two decent seasons when you could get the next contract based on three or four of them. The trick for him is going to be staying on that PP1 so he can rack up points like he did in the playoffs.

I mean, if they don't win something between now and then ... it's not like the GM will be around to care. Welcome to what it looks like when you go the "traditional hockey man GM" route.

There is an article from a guy that covers the WHL that says Bill Peters is the leading candidate to take over as head coach of the Lethbridge Hurricanes. He was reportedly also under consideration to coach a team in the Alberta Junior Hockey League last year. Yeah, that’s who I’d want my 16 year old playing for.

And people say there's nothing wrong with hockey culture. It really doesn't matter how badly you screw up, if you've been even a moderately successful head coach all you need to do is keep your head down for a couple of years and eventually somebody will pay you to coach again.

The Rangers signed RFA Alexis Lafrenierre to a 2 year/$4.65 million contract. He’ll still be a RFA when it expires.

Kinda surprised Lafrenierre went along with the 2 year bridge at that low a pay rate. He strikes me as at least a semi-breakout waiting to happen with the right line mates and usage. Who knows with that guy, but I get the sense that in the right organization with the right coach, he'd be more productive.

Joonas Donskoi announced his retirement. He suffered a concussion last preseason and missed the entire regular season. He said he’s suffered multiple concussions and said “it’s the right decision for my own well being and future”.

Good for him.

Yeah, better to step away than to risk continues injury. New damage builds on old damage. That said, I know he played his whole career in the West, but for some reason the idea that Donskoi is 31 freaked me out. Maybe I just never got the memo that he was a relatively older guy when he broke in.

The IIHF is implementing new rules for the Champions League.

• Minor penalties dealt the same as major: A team which caused a minor penalty will remain shorthanded even if the opposing team score a goal.
  • Serving delayed penalties: A minor penalty will be served even if a goal is scored while a delayed penalty is pending.
  • Shorthander erases current minor penalty: If a shorthanded team score, the minor penalty against will end.
They’re also expanding from 16 to 24 teams. IIRC, the NHL had the first rule for years but it was changed in the 70s (I think).

Back