• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-2023 NHL Misc. Thread

You’re gonna see those kinds of expectations when you bring in a GM that built all those cup winning teams in his last gig.

That just seems like the wrong step for the Pens. Wouldn’t they be better getting some young talent that can learn from Cindy and Gina instead of trying to ride their carcasses to contention by adding more geezers? I guess it worked for Boston until it didn’t.
Did it work for the Bruins? After winning in 2011, they made the finals again in 2013, but not with geezers, 8 of the top 10 scorers were under 30. They made the finals again in 2019 with an older roster but I wouldn’t call them geezers either, with 6 of the top 10 scorers under 30. But the other seasons since 2011? Missed the playoffs twice, lost in the first round 4 times, lost in the 2nd round 4 times. So I’m not sure I’d say it worked that well.

Did it work for the Bruins? After winning in 2011, they made the finals again in 2013, but not with geezers, 8 of the top 10 scorers were under 30. They made the finals again in 2019 with an older roster but I wouldn’t call them geezers either, with 6 of the top 10 scorers under 30. But the other seasons since 2011? Missed the playoffs twice, lost in the first round 4 times, lost in the 2nd round 4 times. So I’m not sure I’d say it worked that well.
They were pretty dang good last year until they weren’t. I’m just grasping at straws to understand why the pens are making these moves. I wasn’t suggesting that the Bs were wildly successful with geezers but their last season is possibly what the Pens think they can do but even if they can they winked out in the first round. It makes no sense to me what they’re doing. It’s the opposite of Dundon’s management style.

With an older roster comes more injuries...the Pens are a couple key injuries away from being in a world of hurt...not to mention their starting goaltender has quite the injury history all by himself. I guess if you never take that first pp unit off the ice you can hope to win quite a few 7-6 games.
They actually got pretty lucky with an ancient team last season, and have done nothing to get any younger or less injury prone. This move is about putting it all on the line for the last of Crosby and Malkin's legs, but sooner or later this Frankenstein of a roster is gonna hit a telephone pole and the pieces are gonna go all over the place.

2 veteran goalies signed today. The Leafs signed 33 year old Martin Jones, 1 year/$875k. Not to be outdone, the Ducks signed 36 year old Alex Stalock, 1 year/$800k

Arizona Coyotes owner Alex Meruelo executed a letter of intent to buy a parcel of land in Mesa, that would presumably be used to build an arena. They’re not set on that site though and will continue to explore options. Meanwhile they’ll play at Mullett Arena until the turn of the next millennium.

The Quebec Major Junior Hockey League is banning fighting. A fight will result in an automatic ejection. Amy player “found to have instigated the fight” will be suspended for 1 game. The player identified as the aggressor will be suspended for 2 games. Players will be suspended after their second fight on a sliding scale for each additional fight.

Good on them I think? A quick look at the stats from last year seems to indicate fighting was already way down anyways in the QMJHL and that pure goons don't exist there anymore. So still an adjustment, but not a huge adjustment.

Svech the Elder is headed back to Russia, he signed a 2 year deal with Al Bars Kazan. He came through their system before moving to North America.

Good on them I think? A quick look at the stats from last year seems to indicate fighting was already way down anyways in the QMJHL and that pure goons don't exist there anymore. So still an adjustment, but not a huge adjustment.
Yeah, it'll take a long time to judge the impact on their prospects but there's zero doubt in my mind that this is healthier for their average player.

David Krejci announced his retirement. So are their top 2 lines going to be centered by Charlie Coyle and Pavel Zacha?
Yup ... and the thing is, they don't have any freaking cap space either, even without Krejci and Bergeron. They could probably make a couple of moves to free up cap space for a cheap-ish top 6 center but that roster is pretty tight as it is and they have very little organizational depth thanks to constantly trading away picks for deadline moves. I honestly have no idea what they're even thinking they can do to fix that problem, but hey ... it's Boston. What do I care? Right now they look like a higher class version of last season's Blue Jackets roster.

David Krejci announced his retirement. So are their top 2 lines going to be centered by Charlie Coyle and Pavel Zacha?
They might have one way out to help alleviate the problem...two pretty solid goalies in Ullmark and Swayman...trade one for some center help if you can. Coyle seems like a 3C at best and maybe Zacha is the same...without a top center to really anchor a top six forward unit is really asking for trouble. Our old friend Elias Lindholm seems like the perfect center to fit in Boston...but I'm not sure the Bruins have enough to trade to go get him.

The NHL record for largest point regression from one season to the next is 45 by the 2006/07 Flyers (56 points) after 2005/06 (101 pts).

Boston had 135 pts in 2022/23, so they would need to be at 89 pts in 2023/24 to beat that.

Totally possible.

They might have one way out to help alleviate the problem...two pretty solid goalies in Ullmark and Swayman...trade one for some center help if you can. Coyle seems like a 3C at best and maybe Zacha is the same...without a top center to really anchor a top six forward unit is really asking for trouble. Our old friend Elias Lindholm seems like the perfect center to fit in Boston...but I'm not sure the Bruins have enough to trade to go get him.
With Bergeron and Krejci both going last season, they often slid one of Coyle or Zacha to wing ... but that ain't gonna work going forward. I don't see any way they shake loose two centers of anything like that quality, although you could obviously see them moving a goalie for a quality forward if they have to. Coyle is a support line, secondary offensive line center at best and they'll likely count on Zacha to hold down the primary checking line. Suddenly what they're missing is the single hardest thing to conjure up out of thin air ... a 1st line center. Everything else is pretty much still there so I would be surprised by a 40 or 50 point drop off, but there's no way they carry on at the kind of pace they managed last year. Heck, they weren't doing that even if they ran back the same crew. The run they got on was sort of a season long, collective out of body experience.

Back