• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-2023 NHL Misc. Thread

This trade is bananas. The Sharks retain $1.5 million and get a 2024 1st rounder, Granlund and Rutta from the Pens and Mike Hoffman from the Habs. Habs get the Pens 2025 2nd rounder and Petry, DeSmith and Lagare. The Pens get Karlsson Hamaliuk and a 2026 3rd rounder from the Sharks and Pitlick from the Habs.

The 1st rounder is top 10 protected, it moves to 2025 if the Pens are inside the top 10. Pens also retain 25% of Petry’s cap hit for 2 years. It’s a lot lower than what a Granlund buyout would have cost. From the Habs perspective, they retained nothing when they traded Petry last year and can flip him easily at 75% cap hit. From a cash perspective, his signing bonus was already paid out .

This trade is bananas. The Sharks retain $1.5 million and get a 2024 1st rounder, Granlund and Rutta from the Pens and Mike Hoffman from the Habs. Habs get the Pens 2025 2nd rounder and Petry, DeSmith and Lagare. The Pens get Karlsson Hamaliuk and a 2026 3rd rounder from the Sharks and Pitlick from the Habs.
Kinda fleshes out why this deal took so long to come together. Meanwhile, I guess Pittsburgh is better when the dust settles and San Jose didn't eat all that much of Karlsson's contract, so ... good for them I guess. This is the classic "we'll have to see how this goes" kind of deal. Scoring it on paper is all but impossible

Kinda fleshes out why this deal took so long to come together. Meanwhile, I guess Pittsburgh is better when the dust settles and San Jose didn't eat all that much of Karlsson's contract, so ... good for them I guess. This is the classic "we'll have to see how this goes" kind of deal. Scoring it on paper is all but impossible
Dinosaur Better yes…the old gets older I guess and Dubas never liked first round picks anyhow…I’m just glad the Canes stayed clear of Karlsson and his four years left on that contract.

Dinosaur Better yes…the old gets older I guess and Dubas never liked first round picks anyhow…I’m just glad the Canes stayed clear of Karlsson and his four years left on that contract.
Oh heck yeah. With the Sharks only retaining $1.5 on that cap hit, wedging Karlsson into Carolina's pay structure was well beyond impossible.

Pens had plenty of garbage contracts that they were willing to get rid of to free up cap space. That is something the Canes lack. Cap space for the Canes is used up by players we generally would love to keep at their AAVs.

Oh heck yeah. With the Sharks only retaining $1.5 on that cap hit, wedging Karlsson into Carolina's pay structure was well beyond impossible.
And they’re retaining $1.562 million of Petry’s cap hit for 2 years on top of the $10 million that Karlsson is costing them.

San Jose GM Mike Grier: we'll retain up to $1.5 million of Karlsson's salary.

Don Waddell: What's that? I couldn't hear you. The conneciton is bad. /click /dial tone

Pittsburgh taking one more swing at the pinata while Sid is still functional and Malkin has a few cylinders left. Hope that works to a degree. Can't say that Dubas holds back, even though he definitely likes to trade those high draft picks.

Jim

Pens GM Kyle Dubas updated Jake Guentzel’s status and said they hoped he’d only miss the first 5 games. That’s a far cry from the 12 weeks the Pens originally said he’d be out. With the salaries they moved yesterday, they’re less than $100k over the cap with a 22 man roster. But Guentzel can’t be moved to LTIR if he’s only going to miss 5 games.

With an older roster comes more injuries...the Pens are a couple key injuries away from being in a world of hurt...not to mention their starting goaltender has quite the injury history all by himself. I guess if you never take that first pp unit off the ice you can hope to win quite a few 7-6 games.

People picking the Pens to be the cream of the crop in the metro..... I'll take that bet any day ending in Y.
You’re gonna see those kinds of expectations when you bring in a GM that built all those cup winning teams in his last gig.

That just seems like the wrong step for the Pens. Wouldn’t they be better getting some young talent that can learn from Cindy and Gina instead of trying to ride their carcasses to contention by adding more geezers? I guess it worked for Boston until it didn’t.

You’re gonna see those kinds of expectations when you bring in a GM that built all those cup winning teams in his last gig.

That just seems like the wrong step for the Pens. Wouldn’t they be better getting some young talent that can learn from Cindy and Gina instead of trying to ride their carcasses to contention by adding more geezers? I guess it worked for Boston until it didn’t.
Karlsson two years from now at $10 million per is going to sting in the last two years of those four years remaining...not even the Yotes or Hawks would take that mess on.

Karlsson two years from now at $10 million per is going to sting in the last two years of those four years remaining...not even the Yotes or Hawks would take that mess on.
Giving away first round picks is just as bad. It’s too late in the game to try to build around Sid. Way better to spin him for picks and prospects and give him a shot at the cup and the chance to hit the nitrous on your rebuild. This is exactly the other direction. Selling the future but for what?

Back