• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-2023 NHL Misc. Thread

I wonder what happened there? 1 year at $5 mill was good enough to land Tarasenko? Was the pre-agent change rumor mill just way the eff off with the numbers that were being bandied about? I don't doubt it.

I wonder what happened there? 1 year at $5 mill was good enough to land Tarasenko? Was the pre-agent change rumor mill just way the eff off with the numbers that were being bandied about? I don't doubt it.
I'm back to his former agent just having come off the rails before he got fired. Dude clearly flooded the market with plausible but bogus info to try to use the press to increase his bargaining position. He got caught, got the axe and the next guy got his client the best deal he could find for him.

Tarasenko signs with with the Sens, 1 year, $5 million.
Sens fared ok, DeBrincat out and that fat salary of his too, Tarasenko and Kubalik in to provide the lost offense from the Cat and added a first and a prospect or two to boot to recover the lost assets from the original DeBrincat trade. Not bad...Sens should be a more improved team next season and could easily replace a playoff team like Boston or the Islanders in the East. The one thing lurking in the distance for Ottawa is what will happen to Batherson in regards to that London Police investigation with the sexual assault claims. Formenton was not offered a contract by the Sens and he is another of the reported players in that investigation.

Andy Strickland, who is the Hannah Yates of the Blues, says he was told that Tarasenko had multiple offers. The Sens originally offered 4 years at $5.5 million AAV early in free agency, the Canes offered 1 year at $5.25 million and the Sharks 1 year at $6 million.

As with Niederreiter last year, that borders on agent malpractice.

As with Niederreiter last year, that borders on agent malpractice.
Or client butt-headedness. Which I think played a role in both of those cases. I will say this, Tarasenko is wise to get the Sens deal down to one year. The cap goes up next summer, which should help him out. Why he would prefer Ottawa to here, who knows? I only see him as a complimentary player in this system anyway, so maybe he's right.

The Bruins and goalie Jeremy Swayman submitted numbers for the arbitration hearing on Sunday. He came off his entry deal, which was 3 years at $1.05 million AAV. He asked for $4.8 million, the Bruins offer is $2 million. His number is $200k below Linus Ullmark’s AAV. Swayman played 37 regular season games and 2 playoff games. Ullmark played 49 regular season games and 6 playoff games.

I will be curious to see what happens in December when UFA Patrick Kane is ready to return from that hip resurfacing. I would like to see us get in on that.

Andy Strickland corrected himself, saying the Canes offer to Tarasenko was below $4 million.
Probably a fair valuation, honestly. Carolina's just not going to pay free agent premiums unless the player is a no brainer ... and he's not.

Back