• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-2023 NHL Misc. Thread

The Athletic had a great story today on NHL Official Dan O'Rourke biking across the country for charity this summer in support of the National Federation for the Blind and as a tribute to his father who is blind. The ride is covering 2700 miles on Route 66 over 42 days for the 50 year old O'Rourke. The goal is $250K for the charity. Nice to still see these types of stories filling the pages of The Athletic!
As an avid cyclist, all I can say is that an average of more than 60 miles per day is mind-blowing! I'll definitely have to read that article.

I'm going to have ease up on my criticism of O'Rourke's officiating now...I will channel that extra energy towards Frederick L'Ecuyler or maybe Wes McCauley!!! :)
They’re not mutually exclusive. He can be a fundraising machine and still a lousy referee. However, if you’re going channel your derision elsewhere, L’Ecuyer and McCauley are both excellent choices.

Kirk Muller named an assistant coach on Spencer Carbery’s staff in Washington. He was an abject failure as a head coach but he keeps getting assistant gigs, he’s been behind a bench every season since the Canes fired him.

Leafs hired Guy Boucher and Mike Van Ryn as assistants, joining a staff that includes old friends Dean Chynoweth and Manny Malhotra.

Wait, Guy Boucher? Where did Toronto find him hanging out? That screams 'better get off to a hot start Sheldon Keefe!'

Wait, Guy Boucher? Where did Toronto find him hanging out? That screams 'better get off to a hot start Sheldon Keefe!'
He hasn’t coached anywhere since the Sens fired him in 2019. All I can find is a reference to working in “the media”.

I had to double check to make sure I was thinking of Guy Boucher- of Tampa Bay fame and the shadowy origin of the scar.

He hasn’t coached anywhere since the Sens fired him in 2019. All I can find is a reference to working in “the media”.
Guy Boucher, eh? Weird. Of course, I find it weirder still that Keefe still has his job. If they're gonna hand the power play to Scarface, it's guaranteed to rehab his image in the league ... or ruin it, I guess. If you can't craft a decent PP1 around THAT group of players then you really do belong in "the media."

Put it this way ... the last time I heard Guy Boucher's name he was working for one of the large scouting combines that feeds into the Central Ranking Agency. I suspect he was, like a lot of those guys, also doing web-based scouting updates and info. That's "media" ... mostly. I know he was also associated with some of the skills camps in Toronto, like a lot of former pro level coaches.

The Leafs and Ilya Samsonov couldn’t reach a deal so they went to the arbitration hearing. He made $1.8 million last year. He asked for $4.9 million, the Leafs countered at $2.4 million. The walk away number is just over $4.5 million so stay tuned.

Back