• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-2023 NHL Misc. Thread

I'm going to assume that TDA to the Canes still 100% hinges on what happens with Erik Karlsson.

From the Flyers perspective, there was no guarantee that they would be able to find anyone willing to take on TDA even at 50% retention. The Canes are not a slam dunk to complete that trade and I suspect very few other teams would trust TDA enough to make that deal. The Flyers likely didn't want to take the risk that they would be left holding the TDA bag if they allowed this second buyout opportunity to pass.

The Flyers will be on the hook for $1.666 million in cap hits and cash paid each of the next 2 seasons (instead of $2.5 million cap and cash just this next season). But they don't have to sweat not finding a trading partner now. They are done with TDA and can move on.

For the Canes, if they want to add TDA we can do so for far less cap and cash than a trade would have required and we don't have to trade away anything (the Massimo Rizzo as our 3rd line Center in 25-26 dreams live on). The only downside risk for the Canes is that TDA could sign with any team he wants to now.'

I wouldn't necessarily try to tie this decision by the Flyers to how close the Canes are to pulling off an Erik Karlsson trade. I think this is more about the Flyers protecting their downside than anything else.

I'm going to assume that TDA to the Canes still 100% hinges on what happens with Erik Karlsson.

From the Flyers perspective, there was no guarantee that they would be able to find anyone willing to take on TDA even at 50% retention. The Canes are not a slam dunk to complete that trade and I suspect very few other teams would trust TDA enough to make that deal. The Flyers likely didn't want to take the risk that they would be left holding the TDA bag if they allowed this second buyout opportunity to pass.

The Flyers will be on the hook for $1.666 million in cap hits and cash paid each of the next 2 seasons (instead of $2.5 million cap and cash just this next season). But they don't have to sweat not finding a trading partner now. They are done with TDA and can move on.

For the Canes, if they want to add TDA we can do so for far less cap and cash than a trade would have required and we don't have to trade away anything (the Massimo Rizzo as our 3rd line Center in 25-26 dreams live on). The only downside risk for the Canes is that TDA could sign with any team he wants to now.
Definitely seems to hinge on Karlsson and to some degree Pesce, if he was traded away for forward help and the Karlsson trade never happens, the Canes may feel like TDA is a stopgap measure for a year on the right side, again.

Danny Briere means business in Philly when it comes to cleaning up all those messes that Chuck Fletcher left behind...

DeAngelo's actual pay:

20-21 $4.3 million (Rangers Salary)
21-22 $1,833,334 ($1 million Canes Salary $833,334 Rangers Buyout)
22-23 $5,833,334 ($5 million Flyers Salary $833,334 Rangers Buyout)
23-24 $1,666,667+??? (Flyers Buyout +?)
24-25 $1,666,667+??? (Flyers Buyout +?)

DeAngelo's actual pay:

20-21 $4.3 million (Rangers Salary)
21-22 $1,833,334 ($1 million Canes Salary $833,334 Rangers Buyout)
22-23 $5,833,334 ($5 million Flyers Salary $833,334 Rangers Buyout)
23-24 $1,666,667+??? (Flyers Buyout +?)
24-25 $1,666,667+??? (Flyers Buyout +?)
The moral of the story? Make sure your kid is a right shot dman.

Bolts avoid arbitration with Tanner Jeannot and sign him to a 2 year/$2.665 million AAV contract.

Nike has ended its sponsorship of Hockey Canada. They had suspended their sponsorship in October but ended it recently.

Ross Colton, who the Avs picked up on draft day 2 for a 2nd rounder, avoids arbitration and signs 4 years/$4 million AAV

Another day, another scandal.

The University of Vermont fired head coach Todd Woodcroft after an investigation into inappropriate text messages sent to a student. He was head coach there for 3 seasons, after being a scout, video assistant and assistant coach for various NHL and national teams since 2000. His older brother is the head coach of Dinamo Minsk in the KHL, his younger brother is the Edmonton Oilers head coach.

The Athletic had a great story today on NHL Official Dan O'Rourke biking across the country for charity this summer in support of the National Federation for the Blind and as a tribute to his father who is blind. The ride is covering 2700 miles on Route 66 over 42 days for the 50 year old O'Rourke. The goal is $250K for the charity. Nice to still see these types of stories filling the pages of The Athletic!

The Athletic had a great story today on NHL Official Dan O'Rourke biking across the country for charity this summer in support of the National Federation for the Blind and as a tribute to his father who is blind. The ride is covering 2700 miles on Route 66 over 42 days for the 50 year old O'Rourke. The goal is $250K for the charity. Nice to still see these types of stories filling the pages of The Athletic!
‘Twas an excellent article.

Back