• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-2023 NHL Misc. Thread

Isles sign Julien Gauthier, 2 year contract at $787.5k AAV. The Sens did not qualify him.

The next step in the Filip Zadina saga could play out today, according to Elliotte Friedman. The Red Wings are expected to put Zadina on waivers for purposes of terminating his contract. Zadina is not expected to contest the move.

That is a perfect solution for both sides if Zadina is that unhappy. He will be able to find SOMEONE willing to take a chance on him if it's for small money and just for 1 year. It also let's Detroit completely off the hook for the rest of his deal. No cap hit, no money owed.

That is a perfect solution for both sides if Zadina is that unhappy. He will be able to find SOMEONE willing to take a chance on him if it's for small money and just for 1 year. It also let's Detroit completely off the hook for the rest of his deal. No cap hit, no money owed.
I’Ve seen speculation that he could go to the Czech League. Maybe he can rebuild his game there and come back.

I’Ve seen speculation that he could go to the Czech League. Maybe he can rebuild his game there and come back.
I would think this is his best choice right now. I think his Dad still coaches in the Czech league so finding a fit shouldn't be tough. Go home, get your head right, get in shape and have a great year in Europe. Then maybe see what's next in the NHL ... or just enjoy being a good player in Europe.

If there is any truth to that, really the only thing holding up Ottawa from signing Tarasenko for like $6.5 million per is the DeBrincat's team elected arbitration situation.

Connect the dots as you will....

Not sure how quickly they'll be able to flip DeBrincat given the circumstances. The 10% cap exemption would more than cover them in the meantime, so I'm not sure why they would feel the need to wait. I sense a stale rumor left over from before his agent change, honestly ... but at this point, who the heck knows? Again, until Servavelli, LeBrun or Brooks or somebody starts posting the info, I ain't buying anything ... not even renting, really.

In Canes adjacent news, Josiah Slavin signed a 1 year AHL contract with the Toronto Marlies. He played 15 games for the Blackhawks in 2021-22 but was traded to the Ducks in February and finished the season in San Diego. The Ducks didn’t qualify him.

Elliotte Friedman says that DeBrincat has been traded to Detroit. David Pagnotta says he’s hearing a 4 year extension in the $7.875 million range. That could also be the precursor to Tarasenko signing with Ottawa.

Per Seravalli, this is what the Sens are getting:
2024 Conditional 1st (DET or BOS)
2024 4th Rd Pick
Dominik Kubalik
Donovan Sebrango

Last edited:
Elliotte Friedman says that DeBrincat has been traded to Detroit. David Pagnotta says he’s hearing a 4 year extension in the $7.875 million range. That could also be the precursor to Tarasenko signing with Ottawa.

Per Seravalli, this is what the Sens are getting:
2024 Conditional 1st (DET or BOS)
2024 4th Rd Pick
Dominik Kubalik
Donovan Sebrango
I hear all the time about the Yzerplan and how much of a genius he is but that team has made a ton of head scratching decisions in putting a roster together…wasn’t the Ned trade supposed to be a home run? Ben Chiarot? Copp on a huge number and term…

I just checked the Sens cap situation and they still might not be able to sign Tarasenko. They have a little over $5 million in cap space but only have 10 forwards under contract, plus Josh Norris who says he’ll be ready for camp and will come off IR. They have to re-sign Shane Pinto too. He’s not eligible for arbitration, so he’s probably going to be at his QO of $874k. Tarasenko isn’t going to play for $4.1 million.

I just checked the Sens cap situation and they still might not be able to sign Tarasenko. They have a little over $5 million in cap space but only have 10 forwards under contract, plus Josh Norris who says he’ll be ready for camp and will come off IR. They have to re-sign Shane Pinto too. He’s not eligible for arbitration, so he’s probably going to be at his QO of $874k. Tarasenko isn’t going to play for $4.1 million.
They can also just sign him, use the 10% cap overage allowance for the short term and then figure out the rest of the roster. It's not like they have to be cap compliant at all times.

In a semi-surprise, Filip Zadina is staying in the NHL, signing a 1 year/$1.1 million contract with the Sharks

Former Cane Chris Terry and former Canes draft pick Hudson Elynuik have both signed with the Chicago Wolves. For purposes of the AHL veteran rule, Terry is well over the 320 game limit. Elynuik is not, having only played 164 AHL games

Chris Terry is now 34 years old but is still a point per game AHL force.

Hudson Elynuik is now 25 and is coming off his best AHL season, with 7 goals and 15 assists (both AHL single season highs for him) in 58 games last season (aka he is a checking line guy).

Back