• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-2023 NHL Misc. Thread

I've gotta be honest. Marc Staal surprised me with his play in the playoffs. He was a coat rack for most of the regular season mind you, so maybe the Flyers aren't the best option for him. Still ... maybe he found his give a crap.

I've gotta be honest. Marc Staal surprised me with his play in the playoffs. He was a coat rack for most of the regular season mind you, so maybe the Flyers aren't the best option for him. Still ... maybe he found his give a crap.
Playing with Eric against Jordan? Maybe he did find the Fountain of…Middle Age.

Not sure, but when I think coat rack, Philly is one of the first teams to come to mind, right there with pylons. When they're ready to prove different, I'll acknowledge it.

*on the same front, still hoping we don't sign TDA*

Jim

Detroit placed Filip Zadina on waivers, probably for a buyout. He has 2 years left at $1.825 million. The Canes could corner the market on the top 10 from the 2018 draft, he went 6th. He has 28 goals and 40 assists in 190 games.

Waddell already said in his comments after the Orlov and Bunting signings that the TDA trade for Massimo Rizzo was still going to happen when the CBA would allow it to be completed.

That would give us 7 NHL Dmen (Slavin, Burns, Orlov, Pesce, Skjei, TDA, Chatfield), leaving a trade still be done at some point here, unless you buy the whole 'depth' is what we are looking for (depth is good, but you are not going to actually go into an NHL season with that many legit NHL Dmen).

Detroit placed Filip Zadina on waivers, probably for a buyout. He has 2 years left at $1.825 million. The Canes could corner the market on the top 10 from the 2018 draft, he went 6th. He has 28 goals and 40 assists in 190 games.
The buyout window closed June 30th. The only other buyout window happens if a team has a player go to arbitration (3 days after which the team gets a 48 hour buyout window with some restrictions).

So they are not buying out Zadina at this time. Detroit is nowhere near the contract limit or the reserve list limit or the salary cap. Not sure what is going on here other than saying they are willing to give Zadina away for nothing (if another team can stomach him being on their NHL roster all of next season).

I still don't see how we make an Erik Karlsson deal. Are we really going to go from a top shutdown D team to one that ices TDA and Erik Karlsson?

I mean:

Slavin-Burns
Karlsson-Orlov
Chatfield-TDA

That has 2 guys playing their off side. Exciting offensively? Yeah for sure. Stomach churning in our own end? Very much so. Freddie and Raanta would be in for a shock, they should have asked for hazard pay. We would be putting a whole lot of chips into generating offense from our D. We set a franchise records with goals from D last season. Going with that lineup above would take even last season's O from D to a completely different level.

Karlsson also kind of makes TDA redundant because which PP would you play him on? Would we start playing 2 Dmen on BOTH of our PP units?

PP1 - Svech-Aho-Necas-Karlsson-Burns
PP2 - Bunting-KK-Jarvis-Orlov-TDA?

Last edited:
I still don't see how we make an Erik Karlsson deal. Are we really going to go from a top shutdown D team to one that ices TDA and Erik Karlsson?

I mean:

Slavin-Burns
Karlsson-Orlov
Chatfield-TDA

That has 2 guys playing their off side. Exciting offensively? Yeah for sure. Stomach churning in our own end? Very much so. Freddie and Raanta would be in for a shock, they should have asked for hazard pay. We would be putting a whole lot of chips into generating offense from our D. We set a franchise records with goals from D last season. Going with that lineup above would take even last season's O from D to a completely different level.

Karlsson also kind of makes TDA redundant because which PP would you play him on? Would we start playing 2 Dmen on BOTH of our PP units?

That PP1 reeks of short handed goal opportunities

I mean:

Slavin-Burns
Karlsson-Orlov
Chatfield-TDA

I hope it’s more of a narrative of the Canes in on everything over we really want Karlsson here too! The best case scenario for the Canes with the Orlov addition is to shop Skjei hard for a legit forward that can score and contribute consistently on offense and find a way for the money to work with Pesce on an extension! I’d be fine with Slavin-Burns, Orlov-Pesce and Chatfield-TDA with another lefty vet on the cheap as the seventh D. Coghlan meh. TDA as a right shot D option as the quarterback on the second pp unit is a nice addition when you consider out of training camp that the Canes had hopes of Coghlan doing that!

Last edited:

I mean:

Slavin-Burns
Karlsson-Orlov
Chatfield-TDA

Grier said he’s not eating salary. Maybe it’s just posturing, maybe it’s not. If he’s not, that means a 3rd team has to come in, because Waddell isn’t eating $11.5 million for 4 years, no matter how high the cap goes after escrow is paid off. And he’s going to trade Skjei and Pesce? There isn’t a place for Karlsson and TDA.

Waddell already said in his comments after the Orlov and Bunting signings that the TDA trade for Massimo Rizzo was still going to happen when the CBA would allow it to be completed.

That would give us 7 NHL Dmen (Slavin, Burns, Orlov, Pesce, Skjei, TDA, Chatfield), leaving a trade still be done at some point here, unless you buy the whole 'depth' is what we are looking for (depth is good, but you are not going to actually go into an NHL season with that many legit NHL Dmen).
So the Red Wings are just hoping someone claims Zadina? Good luck.

Do we know that Rizzo is the unsigned prospect going back to the Flyers for TDA? He’s had a couple of nice seasons in Denver.

So the Red Wings are just hoping someone claims Zadina? Good luck.

Do we know that Rizzo is the unsigned prospect going back to the Flyers for TDA? He’s had a couple of nice seasons in Denver.
I've see it reported a few different places that Rizzo is the late round prospect heading to the Flyers.

I've said it before, but it fits here ... I don't think Karlsson is a serious option here and I'll believe the DeAngelo thing when it actually happens. Until then, happy Fourth of July*.

*third ... whatever.

Yzerman explained today that Zadina's camp asked the Red Wings to try to trade him a couple of weeks before the draft. Yzerman couldn't find any takers so this is another attempt to get someone else to take on his contract for nothing.

Zadina has 2 years left on his contract with an AAV of $1.825 million. His actual salaries left are $1.83 million and $2.73 million. In other words, he is likely going to clear waivers. Not sure where things go once he does.

Zadina wants a new start and opportunity for more playing time elsewhere. Unfortunately for him, his contract is going to make that hard to find.

Max Lajoie to the Leafs, 1 year, 2 way, $775k/$450k. His AHL salary last year in Chicago was $125k with a $200k guarantee. Until the Canes have their own AHL affiliation again, the days of big money AHL deals are gone.

Caps re-sign dman Martin Fehervary, 3 years/$2.675 million AAV. He was coming off his entry deal and had 6 goals, 10 assists in 67 games last season.

Back