• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-2023 NHL Misc. Thread

Well, it's not like losing some foot speed is going to effect is game. He never had any
The kids in Section 328 also roasted him mercilessly on social media. He had a “signature sub” at Harris Teeter. It was an Italian sub…with hummus. An added source of protein? Yep. An Italian sub? Nope.

The kids in Section 328 also roasted him mercilessly on social media. He had a “signature sub” at Harris Teeter. It was an Italian sub…with hummus. An added source of protein? Yep. An Italian sub? Nope.
Sounds disgusting. In the same league as "I like beer and I like ice cream. I don't like beer and ice cream."

Preds sign Denis Gurianov, 1 year/$850k. He wasn’t qualified by Mintreal, coming off a 1 year/$2.9 million contract signed with Dallas. He started like a house in fire in the Covid season, with 20 goals in 64 games and another 9 in the bubble Playoffs. But he never got back to those numbers, with 12 and 11 in the next 2 years.

Rangers re-sign dman K’Andre Miller, 2 years/$3.872 million AAV. He just completed his entry level deal and had no arbitration rights.

That is pretty much the Necas bridge deal for a bit more money.

K'Andre Miller is good. He is going to end up an $8 million AAV Dman after this new contract ends if he has 2 more season similar to last season. That will be a concern for the Rangers given they will still have Fox at $9.5 and Trouba at $8 million AAV on the books, although Trouba will only have 1 more season left.

Yeah, I'm sure the Rangers tried to avoid the bridge and get Miller tied into an updated Pesce-level deal, but this is a decent fallback. They NEED that guy for the next two years, even if they end up paying too much for him later on. I've noticed that RFAs aren't falling for the deals that Pesce and Slavin signed all that much these days. That trade in some cash for security thing has lost its appeal, a bit.

Preds sign Denis Gurianov, 1 year/$850k. He wasn’t qualified by Mintreal, coming off a 1 year/$2.9 million contract signed with Dallas. He started like a house in fire in the Covid season, with 20 goals in 64 games and another 9 in the bubble Playoffs. But he never got back to those numbers, with 12 and 11 in the next 2 years.
Not a haircut…a full on shaved head..from $2.9m to $850k, remember to tip your barber Denis.

Arizona #yotes have placed Alex Galchenyuk on unconditional waivers for purposes of contract termination. Galchenyuk signed a 1 year / 2-way ($775k/$225k) contract with the club on July 1st. He'll once again be a UFA if he clears tomorrow at noon.

I mean, I really do not understand this unless something personal happened.

Arizona #yotes have placed Alex Galchenyuk on unconditional waivers for purposes of contract termination. Galchenyuk signed a 1 year / 2-way ($775k/$225k) contract with the club on July 1st. He'll once again be a UFA if he clears tomorrow at noon.

I mean, I really do not understand this unless something personal happened.
Maybe his Dad finally talked him into playing for Minsk. Otherwise ...

Buyout coming for TDA…another cheap contract for the Canes?
I don’t think so, isn’t this just to terminate his contract?

Edit: Friedman says it is for a buyout. So the Canes could still sign him when he clears for a whole lot less than the $2.5 million they’d owe him if the trade was made.

Last edited:
I don’t think so, isn’t this just to terminate his contract?
Yes, the reports I have read this morning it’s to terminate his contract similar to what Detroit did with Zadina. Usually those are mutual decisions on both sides are they not?

I didn't see anything yet that this was related to contract termination? Why in the world would TDA willingly agree to walk away from $5 million?

The Flyers did have an arbitration filing, Noah Coates. They settled with Coates on July 10th. Per CBA rules:

Clubs are permitted to perform a buyout outside the regular period during the 48 hour period beginning on the third day after the final of [CBA 13(c)ii]:

1. Settlement of the Club's final arbitration case, or
  2. Receipt of the Club's last arbitration award

Requirements:

1. A buyout can only be performed on a player who was on the clubs reserve list at 3:00pm on the most recent trade deadline
  2. The player must have a cap hit of at least $4,000,000 for the 2023 offseason

The above was taken from capfriendly.com CBA section.

The 3rd day after the Coates settlement is July 13th. So right now the Flyers have a buyout window that will end tomorrow.

DeAngelo makes more than the minimum $4 million AAV to be eligible to be bought out.

So my guess here is that the Flyers are now planning to just buy DeAngelo out. That could be for all kinds of different reasons (Karlsson, Canes just no longer interested, etc.). I can't see any reason why TDA would just agree to terminate his contract. The FLYERs could try to terminate his contract for cause, if they have a cause to argue. They would need to waive him first (as they have done today). But that is not my guess as to what is happening here. I think they are considering buying TDA out and they need him to clear waivers first before they can do so. They are considering taking advantage of their 2nd buyout window, which ends tomorrow, triggered by the Noah Coates arbitration filing (and settlement).

----edit---- Or I could have just waited for Friedman to confirm that for us....

Last edited:
I didn't see anything yet that this was related to contract termination? Why in the world would TDA willingly agree to walk away from $5 million?

The Flyers did have an arbitration filing, Noah Coates. They settled with Coates on July 10th. Per CBA rules:

The above was taken from capfriendly.com CBA section.

The 3rd day after the Coates settlement is July 13th. So right now the Flyers have a buyout window that will end tomorrow.

DeAngelo makes more than the minimum $4 million AAV to be eligible to be bought out.

So my guess here is that the Flyers are now planning to just buy DeAngelo out. That could be for all kinds of different reasons (Karlsson, Canes just no longer interested, etc.). I can't see any reason why TDA would just agree to terminate his contract. The FLYERs could try to terminate his contract for cause, if they have a cause to argue. They would need to waive him first (as they have done today). But that is not my guess as to what is happening here. I think they are considering buying TDA out and they need him to clear waivers first before they can do so. They are considering taking advantage of their 2nd buyout window, which ends tomorrow, triggered by the Noah Coates arbitration filing (and settlement).

----edit---- Or I could have just waited for Friedman to confirm that for us....
Friedman did just tweet a clarification that it is indeed a buyout for TDA by the Flyers and he becomes a UFA tomorrow.

I believe TDA might be a trivia question now...who is the first NHL player to be bought out twice? TDA!

Is this perhaps another path that TDA makes his way back to the Canes as a UFA signing but now the Canes can take care of other business first and sit back on this one Captain Lou style?

Last edited:
Back