• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-2023 NHL Misc. Thread

It was not just the Gudas hit they butchered...there was a play where the Leafs defenseman lost his stick in front of his own net...the Panther player barely touched the stick and was assessed a minor penalty for interference...the call then went to a group ref chat and somehow they overturned the first wrong call and gave the penalty to a Leaf player...players on both sides were like WTF!!!! So you fixed your first wrong by doing something even dumber...

They called that Gudas hit (looks at game notes) charging? THAT was charging? That was a fantastic play by Gudas, and he got a penalty for it (and the Leafs scored on the PP of course).

Again the RBA call for an 'eye in the sky' has another exhibit. That was not charging, that shouldn't have been a penalty at all.
Yes, Francois St. Laurent called it charging, at 19:54. But if you read the game notes, you’ll see that he hit Zach Aston-Reese. Zach Aston-Reese went into the box for roughing at 17:34 and came out at 19:34. Who did he rough at 17:34? Radko Gudas. So knowing that Aston-Reese had gone to the box for hitting Gudas and knowing that Gudas is a mouth breathing knuckle dragger, Frankie probably read more into that hit than it deserved.

One of the things that can result in a charging call is the distance travelled to make the hit. Gudas started near the top of the circles and hit him at the far post. Not a tremendous distance. The last stride he took was about the bottom hash mark. He was also the closest Panther to Aston-Reese. Bad call.

Mo and St. Laurent go back to 2016 when St. Laurent tossed Mo from a game.

One of the things that can result in a charging call is the distance travelled to make the hit. Gudas started near the top of the circles and hit him at the far post. Not a tremendous distance. The last stride he took was about the bottom hash mark. He was also the closest Panther to Aston-Reese. Bad call.
Yeah, that's atrocious officiating. Without the memory of the entanglement with Goudas and Aston-Reese previously, there's no possible way any ref makes that call. And even with that context, he's just freaking wrong. It's not even a vaguely illegal check. He gets to the front of the body somehow and was only chasing the play because ZAR was a puck carrier. If that's charging then so is virtually every play where contact is made chasing down a breakaway ... and I can't remember the last charging call on that kind of play. Just an inexcusably bad call.

I'd donate to hear him keep it up. Criticism is fair when it is correct.

You just can't have a big league sport with such blatantly incompetent officiating. WFT is it, Pro Rasslin'?

I get that they don't want to show up their on-ice crew, but there's no excuse for calls that bad to stand. Come On NHL, strive to be better. You're making your product worse and it reflects poorly on your legitimacy.

Jim

NHL Put in 2 Rangers and a Islander... for the metro all star game.. Stutzle Necas Caulfield all got more votes..

Way to reward your fans by ignoring them...

NHL Put in 2 Rangers and a Islander... for the metro all star game.. Stutzle Necas Caulfield all got more votes..

Way to reward your fans by ignoring them...
NHL says vote for your favorites then snubs the process for their own agenda…checks out and sounds about right for the garage league.

We keep watching and overpaying for the service to do so.

We keep going to games and overpaying for tickets parking and concessions.

We keep overpaying for merchandise that is marked up I don’t even want to know how much

so yeah they profit.

Where are the final vote counts listed?
They aren't. People talking numbers are talking about the Twitter "votes"

Bottom line ... just let the league office name your stupid All Star team and dispense with the charade of fan voting. I beg of you. Either that or make it one slot the way some other (more professional) leagues do.

I voted using NHL.com, numerous times. So basically people complaining about vote counts being ignored don't have the actual real total vote counts. They have 'twitter vote' counts that just represent one of the avenues for voting.

Brind'Amour must love the thought of coaching 3 vs 3 with eight forwards and one defenseman.

EDIT... then I went and looked at the Atlantic Division Roster...

Brind'Amour must love the thought of coaching 3 vs 3 with eight forwards and one defenseman.

EDIT... then I went and looked at the Atlantic Division Roster...
Meh. Nobody's"coaching" at these things. They're setting the groups to go on the ice together and telling them to go do their best. It's basically T-Ball without the technical instruction.

Back