• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-2023 NHL Misc. Thread

Yep. The Canes were supposed to be this good this season, but neither NJ or Boston were supposed to be lights out this season. That's sports fer ya

If Canes can finish out the season with about the winning percentage they have now, the Eastern Conference playoffs will start looking like the Western in 2002, when it was Detroit, Colorado and everyone else.

If Canes can finish out the season with about the winning percentage they have now, the Eastern Conference playoffs will start looking like the Western in 2002, when it was Detroit, Colorado and everyone else.

oh man, that old Detroit/Colorado rivalry was fun.

You know how exhausting it is fighting in goalie gear? 😲

Yep. The Canes were supposed to be this good this season, but neither NJ or Boston were supposed to be lights out this season. That's sports fer ya
I think you could have made a case before the season that Boston had this potential, but it would have depended on a couple of things that were FAR from guaranteed ... that Ullmark or Swayman would provide them with Vezina level goaltending, that off season surgeries were 100% successful for both Bergeron and Marchand, AND that they would get full value out of ALL their over-30 corps. All three of things were iffy propositions, and yet all three of them payed off like a trifecta at Belmont. It happens, but not often.

Jersey is different. I think everybody knew that roster would blossom to the point of being a playoff team sooner or later, but going from finishing 2021-22 with 62 points to playing on a 114 point pace the following season generally requires just a massive upgrade in net. The Devils have gotten merely competent goaltending from Vanecek and Blackwood, but everything else came together so well that they've gone off like a rocket.

Sportico is reporting that the Ottawa Senators sale drew bids from nine potential buyers, with some of the bidders valuing the franchise above $900 million.

Sportico is reporting that the Ottawa Senators sale drew bids from nine potential buyers, with some of the bidders valuing the franchise above $900 million.
Bruce Garrioch wrote 8n the Ottawa Sun yesterday that the league had 3 offers and possibly a 4th.

Bruce Garrioch wrote 8n the Ottawa Sun yesterday that the league had 3 offers and possibly a 4th.

I honestly think the only thing wrong with that market other than persistent crappy ownership is the arena location. An new, well financed and energized ownership group could make big strides in Ottawa very quickly.

Buffalo really had their sights on a playoff spot, then Dallas drops ten on them.

Ten.
and 3 of the goals with a foot in the crease...
most-memorable-moment-of-brett-hulls-career-still-tainted-for-some.webp

maybe

Last edited:
Kirill Kaprizov out 3-4 weeks with a lower body injury. The Wild are 2 points behind Dallas for top of the Central and 5 ahead of the Avs.

Kirill Kaprizov out 3-4 weeks with a lower body injury. The Wild are 2 points behind Dallas for top of the Central and 5 ahead of the Avs.
I'm convinced that Logan Stanley of the Jets is now officially on the P.O.S. list for intentionally putting all his weight on Kirill Kaprizov after Kaprizov had given up possession of the puck, causing Kaprizov's injury. That wasn't finishing a check, it was intent to injure. I would much rather watch Kirill Kaprizov play hockey than Logan freakin' Stanley's sorry @$$. Supposedly, Kaprizov will return for the playoffs, but how long will it take for him to return to 100% or even close enough? #That'sGarbage

Jim

Let’s keep an eye on Player Safety today too, for any aftermath of the Vegas-Tampa brawl last night. Vegas visits tomorrow.

Just read this in the WSJ today: "Diamond Sports Group LLC, which carries the games of more than 40 major sports teams across the country on its Bally Sports-branded networks, is expected to file for bankruptcy in coming weeks, which people involved expect to lead to a renegotiation of rights fees—a significant part of teams’ revenue." The article says this group broadcasts about half the teams in the MLB and NBA - and about a third of NHL teams. Could this mean a return to Fox Sports South?

Back