• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-2023 NHL Misc. Thread

Shorty erases a penalty? That's new. The others I feel like we've had before many many years ago.

Interesting ideas to increase scoring though.

The IIHF is implementing new rules for the Champions League.

• Minor penalties dealt the same as major: A team which caused a minor penalty will remain shorthanded even if the opposing team score a goal.
  • Serving delayed penalties: A minor penalty will be served even if a goal is scored while a delayed penalty is pending.
  • Shorthander erases current minor penalty: If a shorthanded team score, the minor penalty against will end.
They’re also expanding from 16 to 24 teams. IIRC, the NHL had the first rule for years but it was changed in the 70s (I think).

I mean experiment away, but I don't like any of those, to be honest.

The NHL had the first Turk until the 1956-57 season, it was eliminated because the Habs were piling up PP goals.

I wouldn’t mind seeing the 2nd one implemented, especially if the team scores a goal without getting the extra attacker on the ice.

I love the last 2. The first, not so much. It will make for more aggressive PK’s (which are fun to watch if they’re done right) either leading to more pp goals or more sh goals. Either way, more goals 🤣

I mean experiment away, but I don't like any of those, to be honest.
I'm not a fan either, especially when it's obvious that some teams have a reputation for committing penalties so get called on every little thing, and there are other teams that never called anyting on them. Nope, don't like this at all

I'm not a fan either, especially when it's obvious that some teams have a reputation for committing penalties so get called on every little thing, and there are other teams that never called anyting on them. Nope, don't like this at all
I just keep imagining the many, many ways the more cynical teams like Boston would take advantage of these rules ... largely by taking advantage of the terrible state of NHL officiating, as Windy points out.

How about working on getting the refs to call penalties evenly from start to finish of the season? Wouldn't that be different & enjoyable? I'm a firm believer that what is a penalty in the first week of the season, should also be called mid-season, & in Game 7 of the Cup Finals. Adjusting the interpretation of the rules and regulations pisses me off. Situation or stage of the game shouldn't matter one bit.

Jim

How about working on getting the refs to call penalties evenly from start to finish of the season? Wouldn't that be different & enjoyable? I'm a firm believer that what is a penalty in the first week of the season, should also be called mid-season, & in Game 7 of the Cup Finals. Adjusting the interpretation of the rules and regulations pisses me off. Situation or stage of the game shouldn't matter one bit.

Jim
Yep, and if that is not addressed then those rules above could be catastrophic for some teams.

Back