• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-23 Canes Misc. Thread

Pierre LeBrun has an interview with Waddell at The Athletic. I’ll link it but for those who don’t subscribe, here are a couple of highlights.

• The Burns trade started percolating at the draft with rumors that the Sharks would deal him. He had a NTC that blocked all but 3 teams. The Canes weren’t on it but he waived it to come here. Dallas was the other serious player for him. He was 2nd behind Svech in the pre-season fitness testing.
  • They worked on the Stastny deal for a long time. His $1.5 million contract also has a $500k Stanley Cup bonus.
  • Waddell tried to work with Bergevin on a trade for KK before the offer sheet but Bergevin wanted Jarvis. Hence the offer sheet.
  • Waddell confirmed the Canes were in on Tkachuk. LeBrun says his understanding is that the Canes were runners-up.

I've seen several reporters hinting that Carolina was second on Tkachuk but nobody seems to have the details on the package they put together. I'be interested in knowing that, given what Calgary ended up receiving from Florida.

I've seen several reporters hinting that Carolina was second on Tkachuk but nobody seems to have the details on the package they put together. I'be interested in knowing that, given what Calgary ended up receiving from Florida.
Personally, I'm glad the Canes did not win that Tkachuk battle, the package Florida sent was too much in my humble opinion and the Canes would have had to send just as large of a package Calgary's way which would have left some of the cupboard bare with some holes left in quite a few places!

Personally, I'm glad the Canes did not win that Tkachuk battle, the package Florida sent was too much in my humble opinion and the Canes would have had to send just as large of a package Calgary's way which would have left some of the cupboard bare with some holes left in quite a few places!
It almost definitely would have included Pesce. For a forward, who carries Huberdeau’s stature, maybe Turbo? But he’s pretty close to untouchable, so maybe Jarvis and…?

It almost definitely would have included Pesce. For a forward, who carries Huberdeau’s stature, maybe Turbo? But he’s pretty close to untouchable, so maybe Jarvis and…?
I was thinking bigger...Pesce/Necas or Jarvis, another roster forward, a first rounder and maybe a couple later picks?

I doubt they threw in Jarvis, which was probably what killed the thing. That's the part I'd like to see confirmed.

Maybe I just didn't see them, but I noticed that there was no ad on the Hurricanes helmet last night. Did the helmet ads go away this season?

And no uni ad either?

Maybe I just didn't see them, but I noticed that there was no ad on the Hurricanes helmet last night. Did the helmet ads go away this season?

And no uni ad either?
Maybe they‘re still negotiating. Considering Dundon’s statement that he wouldn’t mind seeing NHL jerseys resemble Formula 1 or NASCAR fire suits, it’s not a philosophical objection. Maybe the losers of the arena naming rights negotiations get thrown a bone.

And no uni ad either?
The Jackets had a helmet ad and a Safelite Auto Glass ad on their jerseys. I assume the Canes haven’t finalized deals yet which is not surprising given the uncertainty around the arena naming rights situation.

The Jackets had a helmet ad and a Safelite Auto Glass ad on their jerseys. I assume the Canes haven’t finalized deals yet which is not surprising given the uncertainty around the arena naming rights situation.
Worth noting that for all the hand wringing surrounding jersey ads, in the area I couldn't even tell the Blue Jackets had that Safelite logo on their jerseys other than on the jumbotron. With the naked eye they looked like a red smudge.

Here is video of Aho being interviewed by our beloved Jussi Jokinen. I hope you are fluent in Finnish. I didn't recognize any of the swear words that my mom would fling my way if I was misbehaving. Anyway, I love hearing Finns converse because they all sound the same so it reminds me of my grandparents speaking in Finnish in their home when I was but a lad.

And I'll bet there is an interview with Teravainen but it was never uploaded because it was the most Finnish interview ever by lasting only two minutes.

And I'll bet there is an interview with Teravainen but it was never uploaded because it was the most Finnish interview ever by lasting only two minutes.
Truth. I remember a quote from the Finnish Prime Minister after she had been accused of bad behavior following release of pictures of her out partying when she basically replied "I have done nothing wrong" and then stopped talking. You've gotta love Finns for their succinctness if nothing else.

Viaplay is what I use to watch the NHL games on. And perkele is the only finnish swearword I know.

Back