• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-23 Canes Misc. Thread

Caleb Jones can actually play in a starting six on an NHL defense, Coghlan is downright scary in that role. Beaulieu as an eighth D in the system makes more sense than Coghlan so hopefully waivers comes calling for him if the Canes were interested in keeping Beaulieu on a two way deal.

I don't think we expected to be able to sign someone like Caleb Jones for an NHL minimum contract either at the point in time we qualified and then signed Coghlan.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that getting both Jones and Beaullieu was somewhat of a surprise. I'm sure they were looking to reinforce that depth but getting a solid bottom pair guy like Jones for a song and then getting a decent 7/8 guy like Beaulieu with zero risk on a PTO ... yeah, that's pretty productive for a fishing expedition. I get the sense that the Canes figured that they'd add one guy like that and when they went looking they found two. And you've got to figure both Coghlin and Jones can be jettisoned via waivers if needed. They're both on blue plate special deals.

The good news is that I now see my missing ticket vouchers. The bad news is that if I try to exchange them for any valid exchange game I get a message that there are no tickets available (but there are really, you can see all of them if you go at them via purchase and not exchange).

So making progress I guess.

Besides losing the Chicago Wolves, the Canes lost the Norfolk Admirals in the ECHL. They signed an affiliation agreement with the Winnipeg Jets and AHL Manitoba Moose.

The Canes signed forwards Cory Conacher and Brendan Perlini to PTOs. Conacher last played in the NHL in 2019-20. He spent 2 seasons in Switzerland and split last season between Belleville and Charlotte in the AHL. Perlini played for the Wolves last season on an AHL contract.

Didn't the Canes have Perlini on a PTO at some point in the past? I feel like we've been here with this guy before.

He was strictly an AHL deal for Chicago.

The only thing I can think of JB is that there was A LOT of fan chatter that the Canes should draft Perlini at 7th overall in 2014 (we went Haydn Fleury instead). I remember we had extended discussions here on the merits of Nick Ritchie vs. Brendan Perlini vs. Jake Virtanen.

None of those guys ended up working out. We really needed to be looking at William Nylander (8th), Nikolaj Ehlers (9th), Kevin Fiala (11th), Dylan Larkin (15th), Alex Tuch (18th), Nick Schmaltz (20th), Jared McCann (24th), David Pastrnak (25th), and Adrian Kempe (29th). Yeah that 2014 draft was a bummer for the Canes, missed opportunities at forward all over the place.

He was strictly an AHL deal for Chicago.

The only thing I can think of JB is that there was A LOT of fan chatter that the Canes should draft Perlini at 7th overall in 2014 (we went Haydn Fleury instead). I remember we had extended discussions here on the merits of Nick Ritchie vs. Brendan Perlini vs. Jake Virtanen.

None of those guys ended up working out. We really needed to be looking at William Nylander (8th), Nikolaj Ehlers (9th), Kevin Fiala (11th), Dylan Larkin (15th), Alex Tuch (18th), Nick Schmaltz (20th), Jared McCann (24th), David Pastrnak (25th), and Adrian Kempe (29th). Yeah that 2014 draft was a bummer for the Canes, missed opportunities at forward all over the place.
Nah ... I remember his name floating around much later than the draft. Maybe it was just fans hoping he got on the expanded roster for the playoffs last year, but I could have sworn it was a PTO. My brain sometimes connects the wrong dots though ... so, there's that.

Another day, another PTO. The Canes signed forward Nick Shore to a PTO. He last played in the NHL in 2019-20 and has played in Slovakia, Sweden, Russia and Switzerland since. He also played on the US Olympic team in 2022. He has 18 goals, 41 points in 299 games. His brother Drew played 4 games for the Canes in 2020-21.

Walt Ruff says 1 more PTO is probably on the way, as the team will need 40 players for the simultaneous games in Florida on September 29. The Europeans that have already been loaned out won’t be at camp.

Looks like the Canes have changed things up a bit for the traditional free preseason game this year on the 27th, $10 general admission tickets for entry per person with no assigned seating still but all proceeds of sales going to the Canes in the Community Foundation. Free parking, discounted concessions and merchandise for the game too. Considering parking alone most nights is $30-$35…still a great deal for folks to see a game live who otherwise might not go.

We missed this yesterday. The Canes hired Daniel Bochner as a development coach. He’s been on the staff at SKA St. Petersburg since the 2018-19 season and was the Director of Player Development and Head Player Development Coach for the Russian Hockey Federation from 2018-22. No word on whether he’s remaining in Europe, which wouldn’t be the worst idea, with all the players the Organization has there, or if he’s moving back to North America. He’s from Toronto and owns a training academy there.

We missed this yesterday. The Canes hired Daniel Bochner as a development coach. He’s been on the staff at SKA St. Petersburg since the 2018-19 season and was the Director of Player Development and Head Player Development Coach for the Russian Hockey Federation from 2018-22. No word on whether he’s remaining in Europe, which wouldn’t be the worst idea, with all the players the Organization has there, or if he’s moving back to North America. He’s from Toronto and owns a training academy there.

He’s getting out of Russia as fast as he can.

I also wonder if they didn't hire Bochner to coordinate development in Europe. It would make sense, especially in the short run. The Canes just don't have anywhere in North America for their Euro prospects to play, which puts a premium on making sure they're getting proper direction.

The Canes signed a working agreement with ECHL Norfolk that will allow the Canes to assign prospects there. There are 28 teams in the ECHL so there are 4 NHL teams that don’t have an ECHL affiliate, so some of those double up.

Right, and note that Carolina never had more than a handful of prospects assigned to Norfolk during the course of their formal affiliation from 21-23 anyway. It probably averaged out to one at any given time ... if that.

Right, and note that Carolina never had more than a handful of prospects assigned to Norfolk during the course of their formal affiliation from 21-23 anyway. It probably averaged out to one at any given time ... if that.
Yeah, Blake Murray and a random goalie.

Back