• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-23 Canes Misc. Thread

https://broadstreetbuzz.com/2023/08/16/flyers-hurricanes-swap-groups-players/#66567-comment-replies

There must be something in the water in Philly to make anyone come up with this garbage.

To clarify, I'm not familiar with all the Phlyers players this guy is offering up, but given Philly's record, ineptitude, and struggles of late, what in the world makes him think GMDW and RBA might even want them? Kinda seems to me that Carolina has built the team they want based on performance and team chemistry. Kochetkov, Fast, and Pesce might be players Philly desires, but please spare us from your delusional orange & black pipe dream. This is the same guy who thought how great it would be for RBA to go back to Philly to coach. Mmmm, o.k., sure...anything else? Then this.
Dude needs to go haunt some other team with his wish list of summertime boredom, maybe?

I was going to take the bait and sign in to comment on their site, but I sure as hell don't want to get barraged with Flyers B.S. coming through my email. Just. Stop.

Jim
They lost me at "

What’s in it for the Hurricanes?​

To start, the Hurricanes get a young, potential-franchise goalie."

--- they mean like Pytor Kochetkov?

They lost me at "

What’s in it for the Hurricanes?​

To start, the Hurricanes get a young, potential-franchise goalie."

--- they mean like Pytor Kochetkov?
Well, no. According to them, Kochetkov has injury and penalty problems, so he can’t be a franchise goalie.

And he's too hot-headed. Nothing the Caniacs hate more about Pyotr than him trying to fight the entire Iowa team and slashing Marchand...

Luckily we have a 53 man roster in the NHL. Oh wait, that's foosball.
Well, as Walt Ruff reminded later, the Canes are playing 2 pre-season games with a split squad. That requires 12 dman. The Canes have 13 under contract/PTO, assuming Honka is loaned to a European team too, so there is a bit of insurance in case of injury.

Only thing I can come up with is that this allows the Canes to field a full split squad of Dmen during camp after we trade Pesce with no Dman coming back in return.

Orlov
Slavin
Burns
Skjei
DeAngelo
C. Jones
Chatfield
Fensore
Coghlan
Seeley
Mendel
Honka (who is not yet assigned to a team in Europe)

And now Beaulieu

Or you can look at this as the Canes are looking for a #8 Dman to add to the system just in case. Fensore, Seeley, Honka and Mendel are at the very bottom of the depth chart for players who are not going to be in Europe. Right now its Coghlan and Caleb Jones fighting it out for the #7 spot. Better to have Jones, Coghlan and Beaulieu fighting it out for 2 spots instead?

Or it's just too rare an opportunity to add a player to the roster who has 8 letters in his name with 6 of them being vowels and Waddell and crew couldn't help but jump at the chance?

Last edited:
If anyone is messing around with their tickets today. If you are looking to exchange your preseason game tickets, they limit you to only 4 exchange games earlier in the season (one of them is the opener). If you want to exchange your preseason game tickets for another exchange game outside of those 4, you can do this by exchanging them first for one of the 4 exchange games, and then exchanging them from there to the exchange game you really want.

Already exchanged my 2 preseason tix, but the P parking wouldn't exchange... gonna have to work that out later with ticket rep.. happened a couple times last year when the P was "sold out" and I had to email to get an exchange to G. No vouchers on the account though, we were told we could do those today too

Already exchanged my 2 preseason tix, but the P parking wouldn't exchange... gonna have to work that out later with ticket rep.. happened a couple times last year when the P was "sold out" and I had to email to get an exchange to G. No vouchers on the account though, we were told we could do those today too
I was able to exchange my general admission parking passes for preseason a bit later, I couldn't do it early on. Same thing applies...exchange them for one of the 4 games you can and then exchange them again for one of the other 15 games later in the season if you want to.

Same here on the vouchers, I don't have them on my account (yet).

OK ... this is getting creepy.

Honestly, I think CM's onto the answer. They want a proven 8th guy and obviously want options aside from Coghlin.

I'm still baffled by the Coghlin signing. I didn't think he was all that. In my view, he played more like a liability than a beneficial cog to the system. I more or less expected him to be gone & somebody else's problem after the end of last season. Still don't understand the why part of the new contract? I'm definitely not an expert, but what are they seeing that I missed?

Jim

Hmm, I’m off Pure Hockey pricing so presumably I can exchange and have vouchers again. I’ll have to check…

I'm still baffled by the Coghlin signing. I didn't think he was all that. In my view, he played more like a liability than a beneficial cog to the system. I more or less expected him to be gone & somebody else's problem after the end of last season. Still don't understand the why part of the new contract? I'm definitely not an expert, but what are they seeing that I missed?

Jim
He's basically on a glorified minimum deal that fits right in with the rest of the AHL group (if we had such a thing), so it's not like there are actual stakes or anything. I guess the Canes are still holding out hope for one more year that the lightbulb will turn on and he can start to process the game quickly enough to make his physical gifts pay off. If not, then not.

Hmm, I’m off Pure Hockey pricing so presumably I can exchange and have vouchers again. I’ll have to check…
The Ticket Manager accounts went into live season mode today, so you should be able to figure that out now.

They did but someone forgot to tell Ticketscalper to load up the vouchers for those who are eligible apparently. I've been able to do a bunch of exchanges and some purchases today. Sure do miss the old rules where you paid STM price for your extras. You still get an STM discount for 'premium' games, but you don't get that full discounted STM price anymore. It adds up fast when you are buying extra tickets.

Re: Coghlin. I remember seeing some flashes of "hey, this guy could maybe actually work out to be a consistent NHL d-man," but mostly it was him getting manhandled by the likes of Jesper Bratt. I see him as nothing more than just AHL depth

Re: Coghlin. I remember seeing some flashes of "hey, this guy could maybe actually work out to be a consistent NHL d-man," but mostly it was him getting manhandled by the likes of Jesper Bratt. I see him as nothing more than just AHL depth
The plus side of Coghlin is his shot, basically. He's got a plus NHL shot, for sure. Everything else about his game is neutral to minus. And I do mean everything.

Having Beaulieu in camp should put Coghlan on notice, if he wasn't already, that he is a crappy camp away from getting dumped onto some other franchise's AHL affiliate where he might never be heard from again. Beaulieu at least gives him some legit NHL competition for his roster spot as apparently the Canes are making sure we are a reliable 8 deep even if/when Pesce is traded. WIth Maxime Lajoie now with the Leafs' org, if we trade a top 6 Dman without one coming back, that #8 Dman is an open competition.

The Canes must be holding out some sort of hope that he Coghlan can be better than he was last season if we needed him to play some NHL games. That is the only way to explain why we bothered to keep him. No one would have flinched if we didn't give him a QO and let him walk. He did have those great preseason games last year where he looked like a weapon on the PP. That memory might have earned him his 1 way deal because if the Canes didn't qualify him, he probably would have ended up at best signing a 1 year/2 way deal with another team.

I don't think we expected to be able to sign someone like Caleb Jones for an NHL minimum contract either at the point in time we qualified and then signed Coghlan.

In the end its just Dundon's money that ends up wasted if Coghlan ends up buried in the minors somewhere. No real harm.

You know who could use Dylan Coghlan on their NHL PP? The San Jose Sharks.

Last edited:
Back