• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-23 Premier League Thread

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Congrats to Frank. England's golden midfield both sacked in the same season, but I don't think the turnaround from Frank is going to be the same as the one from Stevie G.
I'm still convinced that Lampard has a proper manager lurking inside. Stevie, not so much. Seriously. Lampard had no say in roster building at Everton and that's 90% of their issue over the last two seasons. That and the toxic environment in general. They needed a more mature set of hands and a more pragmatic approach to building a midfield. Too late on both counts

He might not have been ready for the task yet, but was he going to turn down Chelsea when they came calling after he had played the bulk of his career there? He also can't be blamed for the mess that is Everton. I wouldn't be surprised if he wants to take a break after those two shit shows since I'm sure he's probably not hurting for cash.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
He'd be vastly better off dropping back down to the Championship or League 1 if he wants to keep going. IMO, Gerrard was on the right path in Scotland, but took the wrong branch. He screwed up and took a high profile gig instead of one that required some grunt work. Lampard was doing the grunt work at Derby when Abramovich decided to elevate him beyond his level of preparation. You want to coach or manage? Go do the hours like everybody else. Viera didn't know what he was doing when he started, but he was in MLS. That's a great place for Rooney to learn his trade as well.