• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023-24 NHL Misc. Thread

If Saros was a Vasi, Shesterkin, Bob type of goalie I would agree...Saros is a smallish, step below the big time elite guys for me...$8 million a year x 8 for that is risky, especially with a team that is not exceptionally good on the blue line and is not chalk full of great defenseman.
The only knock on Saros compared to those guys is that he's shorter than them. And if he gets results. ... and he has for a 6 year stretch... then so what?

The only knock on Saros compared to those guys is that he's shorter than them. And if he gets results. ... and he has for a 6 year stretch... then so what?
Going back 3 years since he became the full time starter, he’s 7th in save % among goalies that have played at least 100 games in that span. Ullmark, Shesterkin, Sorokin, Andersen, Hellebuyck and Swayman are ahead of him. He's 17th in goals against. Andersen is first.

The US has named their first 6 players for the 4 Nations Face-Off. There are 3 dmen on the list and someone is conspicuous by their absence. Quinn Hughes, Adam Fox, Charlie McAvoy, Auston Matthews, Matthew Tkachuk, Jack Eichel.

Steven Stamkos is hitting the market according to his agent, Don Meehan. Think he’d take Jordan Staal’s money?

Curiouser and curiouser. The Habs just traded the 26th overall pick and a 2nd and 7th rounder this year to the Kings for the 21st overall. Thats a lot to move up 5 spots, no? They have no 2nd round pick, they sent to to Arizona for Christian Dvorak.

Curiouser and curiouser. The Habs just traded the 26th overall pick and a 2nd and 7th rounder this year to the Kings for the 21st overall. Thats a lot to move up 5 spots, no? They have no 2nd round pick, they sent to to Arizona for Christian Dvorak.
So they now have the fifth overall pick and the 21st overall pick tonight...

Not too much once the draft is 17, 18, 19 picks in and you can with a lot more certainty see who's still on the board. But before the draft? They either have a player targeted and have some intel that a team at 22-25 was definitely picking them, or just have too many picks for their system and wanted to gain what they could from a 3-fer-1?

Not too much once the draft is 17, 18, 19 picks in and you can with a lot more certainty see who's still on the board. But before the draft? They either have a player targeted and have some intel that a team at 22-25 was definitely picking them, or just have too many picks for their system and wanted to gain what they could from a 3-fer-1?
Yeah, but tis is gonna be the kind of draft where teams fall in love with a guy in that middle group where the level of potential is all pretty relative. If they have their eye on a specific player and have some intel that another team is also looking at that guy, then you may as well go get your spot and make it happen. Especially when you have no 2nd rounder to bail out your first pick. Probably going to be some more shuffling before we're done tonight.

Jackets traded forward Alexandre Texier to the Blues for a 4th round pick. The Blues signed him, 2 years/$2.1 million AAV

LeBrun says the Preds are receiving a lot of calls on Askarov in light of the Saros extension. They’re looking to move into the top 5 tonight.

LeBrun says the Preds are receiving a lot of calls on Askarov in light of the Saros extension. They’re looking to move into the top 5 tonight.
The Habs make a ton of sense...Sam Montemblow is not the answer long term...would they be willing to deal the fifth overall pick for Askarov? Habs have a nice stable of young defense prospects...go get a young goalie too, that's how you do a nice rebuild!

I know Askarov has been very, very good in the AHL but it all strikes me as a bit early to go that hard for a goalie with so few NHL games under his belt ... no matter how good the raw talent might be. But hey. That's me. Mr Wet Blanket.

Last edited:
Put it this way ... Kochetkov is older and more experienced if a bit less pedigreed, and he showed out almost as well in the AHL. Is HE a sure thing, even with what amounts to a full NHL season under his belt? Because the only thing I'm sure of with him is that he's kind of bonkers. Georgiev also looked like a more sure pair of hands in NY than he's proven to be in Colorado once asked to actually carry the load at the NHL level although the talent is certainly evident. Pardon me for not getting all excited over goaltenders who haven't actually done anything yet.

Askarov played 4 periods last season. He came on in relief of Saros against the Canes on 12/27 after Saros gave up 5 goals on 19 shots in 2 periods. He didn’t allow a goal on 6 shots. He started against the Caps 3 days later and got the win, allowing 2 goals on 29 shots, But in 2022-23, he played 1 game at Montreal and lost, allowing 4 goals on 31 shots. So he’s not all that and a bag of chips, at least not yet. I don’t think they’re gonna get the 5th overall pick for him.

Back