• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023-24 NHL Misc. Thread

The Sharks have made a couple of trades today.

They sent dman Kyle Burroughs to the Kings for forward Carl Grundstrom. Grundstrom has 40 goals and 27 assists in 236 games across parts of 6 seasons. He‘s a RFA with arbitration rights coming off a 2 year/$1.3 million AAV contract. Burroughs has 5 goals, 14 assists in parts of 4 seasons. He has 2 years left at a $1.1 million AAV.

The Sharks traded the 14th and 42nd overall picks to the Slugs for the 11th overall pick. Clearly they have someone in mind only trading up 3 spots. Speculation is that they’re targeting Cole Eiserman from the USNTP, headed to BU in the fall. He had 53 goals in 56 games in 2 seasons with the program.

FWIW, there's a LOT of similar guys in this draft after you get past the top picks. So I expect to see a lot of jockeying for positions before and during the draft by teams who want to lock in their guy. It looks like a solid if not spectacular draft. Lots of quality depth, not a ton of glitz and glitter like last year.

Looks like rumors of Oilers GM Ken Holland being done are on the money. Word is starting to percolate that he won't be signing a new contract in Edmonton. Fair enough. His contract management alone has been pretty horrible.

Ryan Suter bought out by the Stars...he joins TDA as the only players in NHL history to be bought out twice.
Rumors of multiple teams having interest in signing Suter are already flying. He IS the old hockey man's perfect veteran D, after all ... big, increasingly slow, familiar name, not that good, but not terrible all things considered. Pay him his money (in Teddy KGB voice, please).

Looks like rumors of Oilers GM Ken Holland being done are on the money. Word is starting to percolate that he won't be signing a new contract in Edmonton. Fair enough. His contract management alone has been pretty horrible.
Yeah, he’s done in Edmonton. The word when Waddell signed in Columbus was that he was bringing Holland in as GM.

Chris Johnston and Hunter Patterson at The Athletic are reporting that goalie Juuse Saros and the Preds have agreed on a 8 year extension with a AAV of about $7.74 million.

Calgary trades forward Andrew Mangiapane to the Caps for a 2025 2nd rounder. Mangiapane has 1 year left at a $5.8 million AAV. He had 14 goals, 26 assists in 75 games last season.

Chris Johnston and Hunter Patterson at The Athletic are reporting that goalie Juuse Saros and the Preds have agreed on a 8 year extension with a AAV of about $7.74 million.
Askarov is waiting in the wings for a chance,, signing Saros for almost $8 million a year x 8 sounds nuts…

Askarov is waiting in the wings for a chance,, signing Saros for almost $8 million a year x 8 sounds nuts…
And that’s an extension for Saros, he has 1 year left at $5 million on his current deal. Kevin Lankinen is a UFA, so they need a #2. But keeping Askarov to be that guy feels like malpractice, he’s too valuable to be stuck there. He’s going into the last year of his entry deal, maybe he sticks in Nashville as the backup and the Preds use the season to enhance his value, as long as he doesn’t lay an egg in the 15-20 games he plays.

Bird in the hand deal, I think. Saros is a proven commodity and more than good enough to take that team where ever the rest of the guys can get them. Even in a season that wasn't his best, he still got it together in the second half and played a huge part in dragging a not very good team to the playoffs. He's been durable and top of consistent. The very definition of a known commodity in a league where reliable No. 1 keepers are vanishingly rare. They will probably regret the last 2-3 years of that deal, but it lets them avoid the what if thing with Askarov ... who for all of his press clippings has played all of 3 NHL games. So, they keep him around to back up this season and then trade him for a wheelbarrow load of stuff this time next year. I'm normally not a fan of the 8 year deal that stretches into a player's mid 30s (or a bit longer), but in the case of a proven No. 1 goalie, I'll make an exception

Last edited:
Bird in the hand deal, I think. Saros is a proven commodity and more than good enough to take that team where ever the rest of the guys can get them. Even in a season that wasn't his best, he still got it together in the second half and played a huge part in dragging a not very good team to the playoffs. He's been durable and top of consistent. The very definition of a known commodity in a league where reliable No. 1 keepers are vanishingly rare. They will probably regret the last 2-3 years of that deal, but it lets them avoid the what if thing with Askarov ... who for all of his press clippings has played all of 3 NHL games. So, they keep him around to back up this season and then trade him for a wheelbarrow load of stuff this time next year. I'm normally not a fan of the 8 year deal that stretches into a player's mid 30s (or a bit longer), but in the case of a proven No. 1 goalie, I'll make an exception
Even if he’s gonna be 38 at the end of the deal? He's only been their starter for 3 years, but he’s played 195 games those years, 67, 64, 64.

Yeah. The #1 rule for a GM: if you have a guy that you like and is very good at his position and there is no better player available that doesn't come at a ruinous cost, sign him now because that position will only get more expensive with each new signing around the league.

Yeah. The #1 rule for a GM: if you have a guy that you like and is very good at his position and there is no better player available that doesn't come at a ruinous cost, sign him now because that position will only get more expensive with each new signing around the league.
If Saros was a Vasi, Shesterkin, Bob type of goalie I would agree...Saros is a smallish, step below the big time elite guys for me...$8 million a year x 8 for that is risky, especially with a team that is not exceptionally good on the blue line and is not chalk full of great defenseman.

Finland and Sweden have released the names of the first 6 players for the 4 Nations Face-Off

Finland: Sebastian Aho, Juuse Saros, Aleksander Barkov, Miro Heiskanen, Esa Lindell, Mikko Rantanen
Sweden: Victor Hedman, Erik Karlsson, Gustav Forsling, Mika Zibanejad, Filip Forsberg, William Nylander

Finland and Sweden have released the names of the first 6 players for the 4 Nations Face-Off

Finland: Sebastian Aho, Juuse Saros, Aleksander Barkov, Miro Heiskanen, Esa Lindell, Mikko Rantanen
Sweden: Victor Hedman, Erik Karlsson, Gustav Forsling, Mika Zibanejad, Filip Forsberg, William Nylander
Gustav Forsling...from waiver wire fodder to top pairing defenseman to Cup Champ to top of the heap for your country...not bad, not bad at all!

If Saros was a Vasi, Shesterkin, Bob type of goalie I would agree...Saros is a smallish, step below the big time elite guys for me...$8 million a year x 8 for that is risky, especially with a team that is not exceptionally good on the blue line and is not chalk full of great defenseman.
Well, as a GM, you have to take chances. You can't sit around and wait because the market gets reset with each new signing. It seems to me that if they felt that the young Russian goalie was their future starter, they wouldn't done this deal with Saros, plus they could not ID another goalie out there better than Saros that would come at the same price or cheaper.

Well, as a GM, you have to take chances. You can't sit around and wait because the market gets reset with each new signing. It seems to me that if they felt that the young Russian goalie was their future starter, they wouldn't done this deal with Saros, plus they could not ID another goalie out there better than Saros that would come at the same price or cheaper.
Yeah you can get away with weaning Askarov in as a backup for a year or two, if he shines you probably have to trade him because the Saros contract might be harder to move.

Canada has named their first 6 players: Sidney Crosby, Connor McDavid, Nathan MacKinnon, Brayden Point, Cale Makar, Brad Marchand

Back