• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023-24 NHL Misc. Thread

Yeah. I get that, but Ullmark was also quite sturdy for some truly defensively awful Sabres teams too. The questions with him are all about the playoffs.

2024 HHOF inductees:

Pavel Datsyuk
Jeremy Roenick
Shea Weber

David Poile (Builder)
Colin Campbell (Builder)

Natalie Darwitz (USA)
Krissy Wendell-Pohl (USA)

Colorado signed Casey Middlestadt. 3 years $5.75 million AAV

Winnipeg signed Dylan DeMelo 4 years $4.9 million AAV

Detroit traded Dman Jake Walman (2 years left at $3.4 million AAV) and a 2nd round pick (Tampa 2024) to San Jose for future considerations (aka contract dump).

If you are looking for more possible landing spots for Pesce and Skjei, Detroit has a lot of cap room.

Now eyes turn to the Tucson Roadrunners, the AHL team he owns. Without the possibility of re-activating the Coyotes, will he wash his hands completely? The Roadrunners were 26th in average attendance but that was a 14% increase over the prior season. They were also going to play a few games at Mullett, but that’s probably out the window, if Meruelo ever sets foot in that place again, it would shock me.
A little more detail on the end of the Coyotes franchise, including the plan to move the Roadrunners to Reno after one more season in Tucson...

And Pavel Datsyuk???!!! You gotta be shitting me!!! (just kidding, the dude was straight fire on the ice.)

A little more detail on the end of the Coyotes franchise, including the plan to move the Roadrunners to Reno after one more season in Tucson...

This is from last September but it looks like 2 years in Tucson, Meruelo’s lease expires after the 2025-26 season. The arena in Reno won’t be ready until the 2026-27 season. It’s part of an expansion of the Grand Sierra Resort, coincidentally (or not) owned by Meruelo.

Today kicks off the NHL frenzied week. Teams that want to get an immediate jump on the ordinary course buyout window that opens tomorrow must first place the player on unconditional waivers today (noon). Look for the pundits to be listing some of those players later today.

Last day for buyouts is Jun 30th.

Today kicks off the NHL frenzied week. Teams that want to get an immediate jump on the ordinary course buyout window that opens tomorrow must first place the player on unconditional waivers today (noon). Look for the pundits to be listing some of those players later today.

Last day for buyouts is Jun 30th.
Sounds like the Rangers will not buyout Trouba as they value his elbow game more than anything else but they have been shopping Kakko hard. I hope the Canes stay away from Kakko...underwhelming player through 300 plus games in the league.

A few more buyouts that might will go down today...Jack Campbell in Edmonton? Nate Schmidt?

2024 HHOF inductees:

Pavel Datsyuk
Jeremy Roenick
Shea Weber

David Poile (Builder)
Colin Campbell (Builder)

Natalie Darwitz (USA)
Krissy Wendell-Pohl (USA)
I'm struggling to see what Rod Brind'Amour lacks as a player when guys like Roenick are getting in the Hall. At least Weber made one NHL first team, but otherwise he was just a perennial Norris finalist who only won trophies in International play. Big, flashy guy ... but first ballot Hall of Fame? C'mon. I've got a soft spot for Datsyuk for sheer skill level, but don't get me started on David Poile ... all rep and no trophy case. Campbell being inducted is a freaking joke as well. At least they're still early enough in the process of inducted women that they don't have to think very hard ... because there ain't a lot of thinking going on here.

NHL and Fanatics Debut On-Ice Player Home Uniforms for 2024-25 Season
The NHL and Fanatics have unveiled jerseys for 30 of the 32 NHL teams (both the LA Kings and Anaheim Ducks will be receiving newly designed uniforms, and those will be unveiled separately).
Worth noting that Fanatics will be using the same factory in Canada to produce pro jerseys that league suppliers have used for 20+ years. So, concerns about their slapdash quality issues shouldn't be a factor. Keeping the design changes limited to just two teams will help as well. Plus, you should be able to get some sick clearance deals on the Adidas stuff ... and since the designs are the same other than the dimpled shoulder material, why not?

Sounds like the Rangers will not buyout Trouba as they value his elbow game more than anything else but they have been shopping Kakko hard. I hope the Canes stay away from Kakko...underwhelming player through 300 plus games in the league.

A few more buyouts that might will go down today...Jack Campbell in Edmonton? Nate Schmidt?
NYR really ought to rethink their position on Trouba. His overall game fell off a cliff this season, elbows to the head aside. And he's unlikely to bounce back all that much. His speed was always an issue. As for Kakko, he's basically a better skating version of Luostarinen ... good on the walls, solid on the forecheck, not even remotely creative. Coming off of a $2.4 million contract, he should be move-able so long as they're willing to take 3rd line value in return ... because that's all he is.
Even more concerning is how that gang of misfits that do the voting continue to pass on Mogilny…that’s just criminal. Look at his numbers and body of work and tell me how he’s still not in…
Yes. That keeps getting more and more insane as they continue inducting more and more lesser players.

Back