• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023-24 NHL Misc. Thread

It's weird. I feel like I ought to pull for the Cats, since I have no animus towards Paul Maurice (except that I wanted him gone - twice) and they're a southern U.S. team, but I just found myself pulling for Edmonton. The Panthers looked on their heels for much of the game - and Bob looked shaky. McDavid was incredible the way he controlled the puck while slicing through defenders. I think he could be a really good player.

I gotta say I freaking loved Tchuck’s play to save that empty netter and the expression on his face as he made that save. We sure coulda used a guy like that as much as I like to hate on him as a panther.

I gotta say I freaking loved Tchuck’s play to save that empty netter and the expression on his face as he made that save. We sure coulda used a guy like that as much as I like to hate on him as a panther.
So Jordan Martinook in a losing effort vs NYR

I gotta say I freaking loved Tchuck’s play to save that empty netter and the expression on his face as he made that save.
You mean that he was still chewing on his mouth guard as he slid in? I swear that guy’s gonna die of plastic poisoning.

Speaking of Martinook, do the Canes bring him back (2 years $2.5 million AAV?) or does he turn heel and go to the Rangers and take that spot soon to be vacated by Barclay Goodrow?

As expected, Devils get their starting goalie early this summer, Jacob Markstrom to New Jersey.
The Devils sent dman Kevin Bahl and a 2025 1st rounder to Calgary. Last year was Bahl’s first full season in the NHL, he had 1 goal, 10 assists. He’s a big guy, 6’6”, 230 lbs.

The Caps send Darcy Kuemper to the Kings for Pierre-Luc Dubois.

As one Tweeter noted, the Caps bought CapFriendly so no one could see how bad PLDs contract is. Kuemper has 3 years left at $5.25 AAV but the actual goes down from $6 million to $4 million to $3.75 million. PLD has 7 years left at $8.5 million but his actual the next 2 seasons is $11+ million

The Caps send Darcy Kuemper to the Kings for Pierre-Luc Dubois.

As one Tweeter noted, the Caps bought CapFriendly so no one could see how bad PLDs contract is. Kuemper has 3 years left at $5.25 AAV but the actual goes down from $6 million to $4 million to $3.75 million. PLD has 7 years left at $8.5 million but his actual the next 2 seasons is $11+ million
That is an interesting trade that can end up all kinds of different ways for sure.

Some fallout from the Goodrow waiver claim. He had a 15 team NTC and San Jose was on the list. But by waiving him, the Rangers got around the NTC. And I don’t think he or the NHLPA can do anything about it.

Doesn’t that highlight the distinction between an NTC and an NMC? My guess is that he never considered waiver a realistic possibility so he didn’t want to give up salary to bargain for the NMC. He took that risk knowingly and it didn’t work out.

Doesn’t that highlight the distinction between an NTC and an NMC? My guess is that he never considered waiver a realistic possibility so he didn’t want to give up salary to bargain for the NMC. He took that risk knowingly and it didn’t work out.
There are rumors the Rangers promised a compensatory move after the playoffs, which would seem to reek of contract violation if it played out.

The Arizona State Land Department has cancelled the land auction scheduled for Thursday that Alex Meruelo was counting to build an arena to house his inactive NHL team. So I think the Coyotes are well and truly dead.

Back