• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023-24 NHL Misc. Thread

What prevents someone else from starting up another capfriendly under another name to cover the same information? Leave it to Washington to throw a blanket over the concept, but just because they bought the publication (if that's even the right word), couldn't a 2.0 startup happen?

There's a lot of things I don't know, that's just one of them.

Jim

What prevents someone else from starting up another capfriendly under another name to cover the same information? Leave it to Washington to throw a blanket over the concept, but just because they bought the publication (if that's even the right word), couldn't a 2.0 startup happen?

There's a lot of things I don't know, that's just one of them.

Jim
Puckpedia is already a site doing the same kind of coverage; they've already started making updates, etc as I imagine they'll get an influx of users from this.

Apparently the NHL doesn't make all of the info found on capfriendy available to teams. The insinuation appears to be that some teams rely on capfriendly the same way we fans do. Cap room, LTIR usage, actual cap usage and available room as a result. That is pretty scary. The MEDIA is going to be impacted big time by this. I hate that this is happening myself.
Oh, it's not an insinuation ... several teams straight up admit that they've been using public websites to collect contract and cap information from other teams. Bonkers.

There's been some pushback on the idea that the NHL made more info available to website developers than to their own teams though. Turns out the NHLPA has all the player contract info and makes it publicly available, and if they have it then so do the teams. From there it's basic database stuff to build up the team info and projections. Bottom line ... a lot of teams have been VERY lazy when it comes to cap management. And that makes sense, really. Look how casually they throw money at short term needs with little to no regard for the long term impact to their cap situation. You guys push back when I say most of these teams are run by idiots, but ... they really are.

Dangle is, as always, being overly dramatic even if he's not wrong. The NHLPA makes all player contract details public even if the league doesn't, and there are other public sites that provide that info, like Puckpedia. It's just that nobody does it as logically, comprehensively and elegantly as CapFriendly. From a consumer standpoint, we basically will be taking a step backwards to the days when CapGeek was the gold standard for team salary info. But yeah, the NHL would absolutely be thrilled if player contract info was private.

Barkov is practicing today in a regular jersey, taking rushes with his usual linemates. So it looks like he’ll go tomorrow.
Good. I really would have hated to see a cheap head shot take out Florida's most important player ... other than Bob. Especially one delivered by that coward Draisaitl who won't even own it. One thing about Florida's greaseballs ... they're not pretending to be choir boys and don't have a legion of simps online defending them.

I suspect Draisaitl will get to taste some lumber before this series is over. He'd deserve it too. That was a pretty lowdown cheap shot Barkov. Shame on the NHL for refusing to go by their own rules. I'm all for letting 'em play, but blatant battery is over the line. Show me anywhere in the rule book where that was a legitimate hockey play. Again, I'd suggest that Gary Bettman try that hit on for size, then call it a minor. Two minutes, seriously?

Jim

I suspect the payback will come next season. FL seems very focused on their mission and I don’t see them losing that discipline unless things go badly for them. No need to do anything to change the flow. Next season their first game is likely to be nasty.

The Wild are rebranding and adopting the old North Stars color scheme next season.

EDIT: For the 25-26 session

Last edited:
With all the storms in south Florida yesterday, the Panthers were stuck on the ground in Ft. Lauderdale for several hours, finally leaving 3 hours late. They arrived in Edmonton just after 8 pm local time, about 22 hours before tonight’s game. That’s less than ideal. The Oilers and most of the media travelled on Tuesday but the Panthers opted for another night at home. We’ll see if it translates to a sluggish start tonight.

The NHL gave the teams an extra travel day due to the distance between Florida and Edmonton, and Florida decides to basically use that extra day as a 'rest at home day?' If they play like crap tonight they better not use 'travel/late arrival' as any type of excuse. Ridiculous!

This is completely overblown. Yes, me in my 50s might be sluggish tonight after that travel experience. But an elite athlete in their 20s/30s in a game like this? No. This is just stuff for the media to talk about. If FL looks sluggish it’ll probably because Edmonton is at home and has their backs to the wall and comes out and makes them appear sluggish. That’s it.

BTW I was in FL 2 days ago and my flight from PBI got delayed due to weather and I missed my connection. I was tired that night but ran some killer intervals the next day in the heat. If I can do it, I’m sure Tkachuk and Co. can handle it.

This is completely overblown. Yes, me in my 50s might be sluggish tonight after that travel experience. But an elite athlete in their 20s/30s in a game like this? No. This is just stuff for the media to talk about. If FL looks sluggish it’ll probably because Edmonton is at home and has their backs to the wall and comes out and makes them appear sluggish. That’s it.

BTW I was in FL 2 days ago and my flight from PBI got delayed due to weather and I missed my connection. I was tired that night but ran some killer intervals the next day in the heat. If I can do it, I’m sure Tkachuk and Co. can handle it.
Were you on a plane for 6 hours, crossing 2 time zones though?

Were you on a plane for 6 hours, crossing 2 time zones though?
Felt like it. And Florida is kinda like another country so I’d consider it international travel.

Also, I was less than an hour north of Sunrise and saw no evidence that a Pivotal Global Event was occurring. Can’t recall seeing a single piece of Panthers anything anywhere.

Last edited:
Please, give me a break. Aren't they flying a chartered team jet with extra room and cushy seats? Not having to go through a TSA wait, then hang around in the concourse amongst squalling young'ns and surly fellow travelers? Don't forget about the attitude challenged past expiration date flight attendants? I imagine they might get more to eat & drink than a 0.5 oz. bag of stale pretzels and a mini bottle of water. Exactly how big a p.i.t.a. do you think clearing customs will be for them anyway? Everybody in Canada knows they're coming. I'd bet my lungs that they're not herded like cattle into half-mile long lines at the complete opposite end of the airport. Remember, when they land, there's already luxury transportation lined up to take them to a nice hotel and a high quality meal. Don't make this sound like they're chained to oars crossing the Atlantic or riding in a covered wagon across the plains. Yes, it is a longer trip than they're used to, but they're traveling e-a-s-y compared to John Q. Public. [Polar's word], they don't even have to carry their own gear. For what a 2 hour longer flight? Oh, how dreadful! Seriously. [Polar's word]!

Jim

Back