• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023-24 NHL Misc. Thread

The Arizona State Land Department has cancelled the land auction scheduled for Thursday that Alex Meruelo was counting to build an arena to house his inactive NHL team. So I think the Coyotes are well and truly dead.

Is anyone left there to turn the lights off?

Marc Savard is joining Craig Berube in Toronto as an assistant, in charge of the power play. He worked with Berube in St. Louis in 2019-20.

Kevin Weekes tweeted that he’s hearing the Leafs are closing in on an extension for goalie Joseph Woll for 3 years in the $3.5 - $4 million AAV range. He has 1 year left at the NHL minimum.

Bruins trade goalie Linus Ullmark to the Senators for goalie Joonas Korpisalo (Ottawa retains 25%), forward Mark Kastelic and the 25th overall pick in the draft. Ullmark has 1 year left at $5 million, Korpisalo has 4 years left at $3 million. Kastelic has 1 year at $835k. He had 5 goals, 5 assists in 63 games last season. The Bruins are getting their own 1st rounder back from Ottawa. They had traded it to Detroit for Tyler Bertuzzi. Ottawa got it from Detroit as part of the deal for Alex DeBrincat’s rights last summer.

Last edited:
Multiple sources tell PHNX Sports that Alex Meruelo is ending his pursuit of land to build an arena for his dormant NHL team. So it is well and truly dead. The land auction was cancelled because a special use permit would have been required to build an arena in the land. The Coyotes were under the mistaken impression that the zoning designation that would have allowed a youth sports ice complex would also have allowed construction of a NHL arena. However, according to the article, the team knew they’d need a special use permit.

Meruelo had a 5 year exclusive window to re-activate the franchise, but in reality, it was only 3-1/2 years. He had until December 31, 2027 to notify the league he was activating the franchise. But the arena had to be 50% complete by them.

Bruins trade goalie Linus Ullmark to the Senators for goalie Joonas Korpisalo (Ottawa retains 25%), forward Mark Kastelic and the 25th overall pick in the draft. Ullmark has 1 year left at $5 million, Korpisalo has 4 years left at $3 million. Kastelic has 1 year at $835k. He had 5 goals, 5 assists in 63 games last season. The Bruins are getting their own 1st rounder back from Ottawa. They had traded it to Detroit for Tyler Bertuzzi. Ottawa got it from Detroit as part of the deal for Alex DeBrincat’s rights last summer.
Is it just me, or is this a pretty terrible return for Ullmark? Maybe because he only has 1 year left on his deal, and then will be due for a pretty significant raise?

Is it just me, or is this a pretty terrible return for Ullmark? Maybe because he only has 1 year left on his deal, and then will be due for a pretty significant raise?
Yes, most Bruins fans are pretty disappointed in the return...the fact that Ullmark was not interested in signing an extension right now probably hurt the return for the Bruins. I thought the Bruins would have tried to address their lack of centers in a trade for Ullmark.

Yes, most Bruins fans are pretty disappointed in the return...the fact that Ullmark was not interested in signing an extension right now probably hurt the return for the Bruins. I thought the Bruins would have tried to address their lack of centers in a trade for Ullmark.
Ullmark holding out on negotiating a new deal basically halved his value ... and the market. His choice, so good on him. But that killed any chance Boston had of getting a quality return.

Multiple sources tell PHNX Sports that Alex Meruelo is ending his pursuit of land to build an arena for his dormant NHL team. So it is well and truly dead. The land auction was cancelled because a special use permit would have been required to build an arena in the land. The Coyotes were under the mistaken impression that the zoning designation that would have allowed a youth sports ice complex would also have allowed construction of a NHL arena. However, according to the article, the team knew they’d need a special use permit.

Meruelo had a 5 year exclusive window to re-activate the franchise, but in reality, it was only 3-1/2 years. He had until December 31, 2027 to notify the league he was activating the franchise. But the arena had to be 50% complete by them.

His ownership was an absolute clown show from beginning to end. A master class in burning money and making lasting enemies for no good reason. The only good that came from it was breaking the spell that TV market had on the NHL brass in NYC. They would have approved the sale of that franchise to a garden slug if he promised to keep it in Phoenix. Eventually, they ran out of slugs with a good enough line of credit.

His ownership was an absolute clown show from beginning to end. A master class in burning money and making lasting enemies for no good reason. The only good that came from it was breaking the spell that TV market had on the NHL brass in NYC. They would have approved the sale of that franchise to a garden slug if he promised to keep it in Phoenix. Eventually, they ran out of slugs with a good enough line of credit.
Now eyes turn to the Tucson Roadrunners, the AHL team he owns. Without the possibility of re-activating the Coyotes, will he wash his hands completely? The Roadrunners were 26th in average attendance but that was a 14% increase over the prior season. They were also going to play a few games at Mullett, but that’s probably out the window, if Meruelo ever sets foot in that place again, it would shock me.

Now eyes turn to the Tucson Roadrunners, the AHL team he owns. Without the possibility of re-activating the Coyotes, will he wash his hands completely? The Roadrunners were 26th in average attendance but that was a 14% increase over the prior season. They were also going to play a few games at Mullett, but that’s probably out the window, if Meruelo ever sets foot in that place again, it would shock me.
There must be enough Coyotes fans that still love hockey enough to support an AHL team in Tempe with the Yotes gone...see if you can get Meruelo out from under the Tucson ownership and move the AHL team back to the Valley. Considering Utah has a boatload of early draft picks the next few years that AHL club will likely see some great young talent come through that system for quite some time.

I'm 90% sure I read that his contract with ASU included a guarantee of a minimum number of games in Mullett next season regardless of if it was the NHL or AHL team showing up. Of course, stiffing business partners is mother's milk for Meruelo

The thing about Ullmark is...how much of his stellar regular season numbers are because he played for the Bruins? There are teams looking for goalies but the going rate apparently for a starter is a 1st round pick and a warm body. That is all Calgary got in return for Markstrom.

Ottawa did well to get the Bruins to take back Korpisalo's contract, even though they retained 25%. Until Ullmark is actually inked to an extension I'm not necessarily convinced Ottawa doesn't flip him in the coming season to get a 1st round pick back.

Back