• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023-24 NHL Misc. Thread

Ryan Suter signed with the Blues. He gets the NHL minimum of $775k and performance bonuses that can add another $2.25 million. He’ll be paid by 37.5% of the Central Division next season, with buyouts from the Stars and Wild still filling his bank account.
Watching Suter in the playoffs, I was surprised by two things ... that Dallas still thought he could handle 16-17 minutes, and that his decline seems to have gotten stuck on "slower than dirt but otherwise OK." But if those bonuses are for the normal stuff like games played, then St Louis has lost their minds. Staying healthy is the one thing Suter still does on an All Star level.

Watching Suter in the playoffs, I was surprised by two things ... that Dallas still thought he could handle 16-17 minutes, and that his decline seems to have gotten stuck on "slower than dirt but otherwise OK." But if those bonuses are for the normal stuff like games played, then St Louis has lost their minds. Staying healthy is the one thing Suter still does on an All Star level.
Per PuckPedia, if he plays 60 games and the Blues make the playoffs, he earns them all.

PBs: $225K for 10 GP -- $400K for 30 GP -- $500K for 40 GP -- $600K for 60 GP -- $500K for playoffs and at least 60 regular season GP

I'm honestly surprised. I thought for sure he'd drag things out and make the biggest mess possible.
I think reality set in and he realized he didn’t have a path forward for an arena after the state cancelled the auction for the land he was counting on.

Now the question is whether the league accepts reality and allows Utah to inherit the franchise statistical records from Winnipeg/Arizona.

I remember when he was young and just starting out.
i played with his grandfather a few hundred years ago. Or is it his great grandfather?

I think reality set in and he realized he didn’t have a path forward for an arena after the state cancelled the auction for the land he was counting on.

Now the question is whether the league accepts reality and allows Utah to inherit the franchise statistical records from Winnipeg/Arizona.
Does that also mean the Phoenix area market is the next great, promising NHL expansion team area for Gary B's swan song before retirement in the next few years under a new hand picked ownership group? That's the way I see it playing out in the next 4-5 years...

I remember when he was young and just starting out.
i played with his grandfather a few hundred years ago. Or is it his great grandfather?
His father is Bob from the 1980 Olympic team. He was born in 1957 and passed 10 years ago. Great-grandfather? I knew you were old, I didn’t realize you were that old. ;)

Does that also mean the Phoenix area market is the next great, promising NHL expansion team area for Gary B's swan song before retirement in the next few years under a new hand picked ownership group? That's the way I see it playing out in the next 4-5 years...
He’s gonna give Atlanta another go.

I mean, they kind of have to, you'd think. I don't think Smith really cares but it will be nice over time for the fans to embrace the club's actual history instead of pretending it doesn't exist. I think that's been fairly healthy for this market, once Dundon decided it was OK to remember the Whalers.

His father is Bob from the 1980 Olympic team. He was born in 1957 and passed 10 years ago. Great-grandfather? I knew you were old, I didn’t realize you were that old. ;)
Marlow is who I played with. He is a coaching and playing legend and Bob’s father.

I suppose you’re also one of those folks that doesn’t see the need to expand the playoffs so we can continue winter sports well into July!!?
I just don't want to watch scrubs play in dumps like Arizona or Atlanta again. This league really doesn't need 34 or 36 teams.

NHL adjacent…

Zawyer Sports & Entertainment has purchase a controlling interest in the Charlotte Checkers from Michael Kahn. Hes held majority ownership since 2006 and will be the largest minority partner. There will be no affiliation or front office changes.

Zawyer’s ownership group includes former NASCAR drivers Kevin Harvick and Regan Smith (who probably won’t be a Canes siren sounder anymore), Tim Tebow and Carolina Panthers long snapper JJ Jansen and former NFL player Myles Jack. Zawyer owns and operates 3 ECHL teams, including the Checker‘s new affiliate, the Savannah Ghost Pirates and Gastonia Baseball Club, which plays in the Atlantic League. They also operate the ECHL Allen Americans and Atlanta Gladiators and rinks in Jacksonville and Savannah.

Back