• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023-24 NHL Misc. Thread

Since 100% of the animosity between the Checkers and the Hurricanes was due to the broken relationship between Kahn and Dundon, this might eventually be good news for those people convinced that the location of your AHL affiliate matters. If the new ownership group have realistic expectations about how much money they need to spend and how much management support they will get from their NHL affiliate, then this is a clean slate.

Since 100% of the animosity between the Checkers and the Hurricanes was due to the broken relationship between Kahn and Dundon, this might eventually be good news for those people convinced that the location of your AHL affiliate matters. If the new ownership group have realistic expectations about how much money they need to spend and how much management support they will get from their NHL affiliate, then this is a clean slate.
We also heard from Waddell in February that the Canes had an agreement in place in November to buy an existing AHL team but it fell through at the last minute. I doubt it was the Checkers, since Kahn will retain the largest share of the minority owners, and Dundon would want full control. I guess he couldn’t money-whip Kahn hard enough to give up the whole magilla.

We also heard from Waddell in February that the Canes had an agreement in place in November to buy an existing AHL team but it fell through at the last minute. I doubt it was the Checkers
No, it wasn't Charlotte. I know that for sure.

I think it's perfect for a minor league team. Also, what the [goal horn] is a Sound Tiger?
From their Wikipedia page.

The Bridgeport Sound Tigers joined the American Hockey League as an expansion franchise in 2001 and were coached by Steve Stirling. The team's name referenced both the Long Island Sound where Bridgeport lies, and the circuses of former resident P. T. Barnum, with the Sound Tigers identity being unveiled at the Barnum Museum.[3]

The Kings signed Quinton Byfield to a 5 year extension with a $6.25 million AAV. Drafted 2nd overall in 2020, he has played fewer games than Seth Jarvis. He's scored 28 goals in 179 games, or 5 fewer goals than Jarvis scored last season.

Byfield is a center, which sort of evens the odds in that comparison. I'd say that's close to the right range for Jarvis ... $6.5 million on a mid to max term deal, give or take a quarter mil or so.

Byfield is a center, which sort of evens the odds in that comparison. I'd say that's close to the right range for Jarvis ... $6.5 million on a mid to max term deal, give or take a quarter mil or so.
Canes would be happy I think with anything in that $6 to $6.5 range and that seems fair for both sides. In my best Larry The Cable Guy Voice...Get Er Done!

Torey Krug was diagnosed with pre-arthritic changes in his left ankle, most likely due to a fracture earlier in his career. He’s rehabbing over the next 6-8 weeks in an attempt to avoid surgery. He’ll be reevaluated after that period to determine if surgery is necessary. If it is required, he’ll miss the season.

I had a buddy who had to get that kind of surgery a couple of years ago. It generally involves re-breaking the ankle and then shaping the bone so that the ligaments and/or tendons have a proper channel. LONG recovery ... longer rehab.

I had a buddy who had to get that kind of surgery a couple of years ago. It generally involves re-breaking the ankle and then shaping the bone so that the ligaments and/or tendons have a proper channel. LONG recovery ... longer rehab.
I got queasy just reading that.

I got queasy just reading that.
The “kid” that grew up next door to me is now an orthopedic surgeon and the team doctor for a couple of colleges. He posts short videos of some surgeries on Instagram, primarily shoulders and elbows but I can’t watch them.

Even your every day knee or hip replacement surgery is brutal to watch. It's not a delicate procedure. I've watched plenty. It's not for the squeamish.

The “kid” that grew up next door to me is now an orthopedic surgeon and the team doctor for a couple of colleges. He posts short videos of some surgeries on Instagram, primarily shoulders and elbows but I can’t watch them.
Yeah ... I had a friend get hooked on those videos in the early days of YouTube. I get grossed out, but he was always amazed that the surgeons were just using regular old power tools ... albeit with surgical steel attachments. Knee replacements are particularly troubling to me, but the bone re-breaks are a close second. Bleck

I had surgery for the torn meniscus in my right knee in March, and a few days ahead of it, one of my hockey buddies sent me the video from when he had the same procedure. (He's a creative director at an advertising agency and set it to music!) I still haven't watched more than the first five seconds or so!

People are surprised to see drills, saws, etc sitting on the table in the OR. How else you cutting the top of someone's femur off?

Back