• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023 Draft and UFA Thread

The one difference, in this case, is that I am evaluating this player through the same lens as many NHL teams, because very few NHL scouts have been able to watch Michkov live during his draft year due to the restrictions on travel to Russia currently in place. Even Canadiens co-director of scouting Nick Bobrov, who is Russian, could not travel to Russia this season, I’m told.

Galchenyuk was a "reach" at 3OA and so, to a certain extent, was Kotkaniemi. If Michkov is there at 5OA it's not a reach, it's a steal. In any other draft year not including Bedard, Michkov would be the player that the Chicago's and San Jose's would be tanking for. If it was last year and he wasn't Russian, Michkov would already be a Hab. His talent level is generational in a way that Fantilli's, Carlsson's and Smith's are not. He's the closest thing to Bedard you can get without getting Bedard himself.

Put the fears of politics and everything else aside. Draft the most talented player. If Michkov is there at 5OA he will be the head and shoulders most talented player available and not taking him will be a huge mistake. I'll take the risk that he never comes to North America. Use the Florida pick on a safe player. Use the 5th pick on the most talented available. If the Ducks, Sharks, and Blue Jackets balk, grab Michkov.

Galchenyuk was a "reach" at 3OA and so, to a certain extent, was Kotkaniemi. If Michkov is there at 5OA it's not a reach, it's a steal. In any other draft year not including Bedard, Michkov would be the player that the Chicago's and San Jose's would be tanking for. If it was last year and he wasn't Russian, Michkov would already be a Hab. His talent level is generational in a way that Fantilli's, Carlsson's and Smith's are not. He's the closest thing to Bedard you can get without getting Bedard himself.

Put the fears of politics and everything else aside. Draft the most talented player. If Michkov is there at 5OA he will be the head and shoulders most talented player available and not taking him will be a huge mistake. I'll take the risk that he never comes to North America. Use the Florida pick on a safe player. Use the 5th pick on the most talented available. If the Ducks, Sharks, and Blue Jackets balk, grab Michkov.
Galchenyuk wasnt a reach , probably #1 if he didnt have knee surgery

It was simply a shit draft where the Habs have no luck

KK was a reach when Hughes was there and BT who has surpassed most expectations

The only reason the Habs have a shot at him is because he is Russian.
Biggest issue is you have no control over his development

Teams have no input in training , coaching , and probably cant see him live when you want to scout him

Add the KHL issue , I understand if teams wont take him in the top 5

Habs cant fuck this pick ...ie keep it or trade down , or acquire a quality player

Habs wont have another top 5 anytime soon and this opportunity is just too important

Teams have no input in training , coaching , and probably cant see him live when you want to scout him

Habs cant fuck this pick ...ie keep it or trade down , or acquire a quality player

Habs wont have another top 5 anytime soon and this opportunity is just too important
They can fuck up whatever they want man. The day you realize this is the day you'll be happier.

Unless they are in the AHL or NHL there is no control over development. Outside of a few weeks at training camp.

It isn't like the Habs can't talk to him.
They still have phones in Russia.

The real independent variable here though is how the draft falls 5-8. I don't think I risk it. If there's someone I really like and my staff likes? I just take the player at five.
Assuming that the top 5 will be picked before #9, the real variance is the next 3. Among which are Leonard, Moore, Reinbacher, Dvorsky, Benson, Sale, Wood. If there is 4 of those guys that you really like, you do it. If you only like one or 2, don't take the chance.

Back