• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2024-25 Canes Miscellaneous Thread

I do like banked cap space. I'm not a fan of going on a west coast road trip with ZERO extra players on the roster. Better have contingency plans ready to get SOMEONE to each city on the road trip if needed.

You can get away with 11 forwards and 6 Dmen for a game or 2 but it's not advisable to play a full game with less than 6 Dmen (despite what Dallas did in the playoffs).
I asked Walt on Twitter if Stillman was traveling with the team. I didn’t get a response. If he did travel, activating him is the easiest solution. He’s been on the injured, non-roster list since 10/7.

He can travel and still be on the non-roster IR, I think. And there's a zero percent chance that the club hasn't thought through the issue.

He can travel and still be on the non-roster IR, I think. And there's a zero percent chance that the club hasn't thought through the issue.
I know. It’s just the typical radio silence from the team and those that “cover” it.

I know. It’s just the typical radio silence from the team and those that “cover” it.
LOL. Nobody covers this team. Not really. No offense to the specific non-Chip Alexander people in the press corps either, but they're all in it to write features. Chip's the only guy getting paid to be a beat writer and he, frankly, sucks at his job. Always has. It doesn't help that they're all terrified of Brind'Amour.

Paper move, I'm assuming.

And I'm also assuming this dedication to banking space is heading somewhere ... like towards a proper 2C

The Canes marketing team took another hit. Dan LaTorraca, who is VP of Marketing and Brand Strategy is leaving at the end of the week. Mike Forman, who had been Chief Creative Officer left earlier this year.

Jackson Blake was recalled. So everyone can stop worrying. It was a paper move to bank a couple thousand in cap space. For cap purposes, the NHL season is 192 days long, so, based on his $905,833 cap hit, the Canes bank $4,717.88 for every day he’s not on the roster.

The bad part of course is the kid gets his AHL salary that day instead of his NHL salary. His AHL salary is a little above $400 a day, so his bank account pays the price for that paper move.
He got a $90K and change signing bonus last season for playing in what? One game? He'll live.

The Athletic did a front office survey, asking 40 NHL executives to rank their top 5 front offices. They were scored on a 10-7-5-3-1 scale. The Canes came in 8th but only appeared on 6 ballots, 1 of which was a first place vote. Dallas was a runaway winner, Tampa, Florida, Vegas, Boston, Colorado, New Jersey, NYR and Detroit were the others in the top 10. Buffalo, Calgary, Chicago, Columbus, LA, NYI, Ottawa San Jose and Seattle did not get any votes.

Just my opinion, but I have no idea what Detroit is doing in the Top 10. Yeah, they drafted efficiently during their rebuild but otherwise they've made a lot of strange decisions and haven't really improved that much once they bounced back to competence. The rest of the top ten, you can credit them all with having a workable plan and sticking to it. And in the NHL, that goes a LONG way.

Just my opinion, but I have no idea what Detroit is doing in the Top 10. Yeah, they drafted efficiently during their rebuild but otherwise they've made a lot of strange decisions and haven't really improved that much once they bounced back to competence.

3 reasons why:
  1. It's the Detroit Red Wings and the NHL good ol' boy network just loves them some Detroit Red Wings.
  2. The NHL good ol' boy network just loves them some Steve Yzerman.
  3. The Detroit Red Wings fans made up a clever sounding term: The Yzerplan. Which, as you may remember, included fleecing the Hurricanes for future hall of famer Alex Nedeljkovic.

I mean, you could have stopped with number one. But I figured since the hockey men have decided it's OK to question Ron Francis' obvious genius as a GM lately, maybe they could be a bit more skeptical of Yzerman's nonsense. I know Red Wings fans have grown weary of the Yzerplan, such as it is. My suspicion is that the plan largely entailed Raymond and Seider being about 10-15% better than they actually are and for maybe three or four other young guys who haven't really shown up yet to hit. That's about where it peters out. Otherwise Stevie has just thrown together whatever cheap-ish leftovers he can scrounge up every summer.

The kid has an NHL game. Glad to see him show up a bit ahead of schedule, because veteran teams need a few young, enthusiastic guys around. Jarvis was a huge shot in the arm when he broke through and not just because of his play. His pound puppy enthusiasm was infectious. Having guys around who are experiencing everything for the first time keeps it fresh for the vets.

The kid has an NHL game. Glad to see him show up a bit ahead of schedule, because veteran teams need a few young, enthusiastic guys around. Jarvis was a huge shot in the arm when he broke through and not just because of his play. His pound puppy enthusiasm was infectious. Having guys around who are experiencing everything for the first time keeps it fresh for the vets.
You should copyright that.

Back